GreenR Community|The Community Run by You
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PREVIEW: Samsung Galaxy S6 – Next Is Now

Android™ Expert

I was privileged to be invited to have a preview on the next big thing in town, the Galaxy S6. And I must say, it is a real huge improvement over its predecessors. The much scrutinized TouchWiz OS has been slimmed down, the phone’s design looks much more premium now! Read on to find out more!

Next is now. This is the tagline that Samsung has chosen for their upcoming flagship device. Much like the note series, the new flagship comes in two flavors namely the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge. The key Unique Selling Points are as shown below.

IMG_20150311_191744.jpg

Next level DESIGN

IMG_20150311_191930.jpg

The aluminum chassis that is used on both the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge provided the phone with outstanding build and grip. The back of the device has also been changed to glass instead of the traditional plastic back. I really like the grip and feel of the phone and it is really way better than the other phones that are available in the market currently. You really have to see it for yourself to understand what I am trying to say. So do look out for their display set in stores soon!

Meanwhile, I will just entice the readers with more pictures! (Although I have to admit that the sides of the phone looks really similar to iPhones)

IMG_20150311_200427.jpg IMG_20150311_200434.jpg

IMG_20150311_200442.jpg IMG_20150311_200448.jpg

IMG_20150311_200452.jpg IMG_20150311_200457.jpg

IMG_20150311_192258.jpg

IMG_20150311_192312.jpg

They comes in a few interesting colours as well. The availability of the different colours will be announced on a later date.

IMG_20150311_192911.jpg

The cases that are made for Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge are really interesting. There is this case that is called the Clear View case. It is basically like a one way mirror, it acts as a mirror when the device screen is off. When it is on, you can see through the ‘mirror’. However, it has limited interactivity where you can only accept phone calls from the case without opening up the flip.

IMG_20150311_200152.jpg

(the dots are actually the reflection of the ceiling)

Next level CAMERA

The camera has improved by a whole lot. The most noticeable improvement is the camera startup speed. It takes only 0.2 seconds to launch the camera and you can take amazing photos right away! To launch the camera, just simply press the home bottom twice!

The aperture for both front and back camera has also been improved to 1.9 for both. This allows better pictures on low light settings. Sadly I do not have any sample pictures taken with the Galaxy S6. However, please do try the camera on the display set as soon as it hits the stores. Be amazed by the speed and quality!

Next level CHARGING

This is actually nothing new. It is similar to the snapdragon fast charging technology. Basically, you get lots of juice within a short charging time. However, do note that the charging speed decreases as the battery approaches full capacity!

Samsung has also incorporated wireless charging on the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge. Together with it, the wireless charger. It is a beauty with a rather large charging area. I didn’t have much difficulties trying to figure out the charging area with my Nexus 6.

IMG_20150311_195023.jpg

Next level PERFORMANCE

Key Specifications

• Chipset: Samsung Exynos 7420 Quad-core 1.5GHz Cortex-A53, Quad-core 2.1 GHz Cortex-A57 (64 bit)
  • Display: 5.1 inch Quad HD Super AMOLED (2560 x 1440, 577 ppi)
  • Memory, 32/64/128GB eMMC ROM/ 3GB DDR4 RAM
  • Camera: 16.0MP with OIS / Front 5 MP
  • Battery: 2550 mAh non-removable with build-in wireless charging
  • Size: 143.4 x 70.5 x 6.8 mm
  • Weight : 138g
  • Network: 4G / LTE(Cat 6) / HSPA+ 42.2 Mbps (3G), GSM
  • Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, BT 4.1 LE, NFC, A-GPS/Glonass, USB 2.0

With high end specifications such as this, there is nothing that this beast can’t handle. My only concern (as with every phones) is the battery life. We will have to try out the device in real time usage before comment more.

With the slimmed down TouchWiz UI, the user experience seems much more fluid and intuitive. No more unnecessary apps hogging the system memory (although it still takes up 8GB). The icons are now customizable via downloaded themes as well.

Next level DISPLAY

The display on the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge is pretty much the same as Note 4’s. Just as pretty, just as beautiful. The colour accuracy is also top notch, unlike its predecessor where it is oversaturated with blue.

An interesting thing about Galaxy S6 Edge is that you can personalize the edge screen such that when the assigned contact is calling you, the edge panel will act as notification light with the assigned colour. Although only a maximum of 5 contacts is allowed for this feature, it is still an interesting addition.

Samsung has really made an incredible device in year 2015. Look out for it in stores soon! I am quite certain that you will fall in love with it as well! To end off this preview, I would just like to highlight somethings that I see missing in the new device.

• Expandable memory
  • Replaceable battery
  • Slimmer system file (8GB currently)

Do look out for the pre-order and availability date for this incrediable device, right here at StarHub!

NEXT IS NOW. Register your interest for Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge here.