cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maintaining a good contacts database using Google Contacts

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Maintaining a good contacts database using Google Contacts

Everyone needs a good contacts database. With good house keeping, create and maintain a good contacts database. Best of all, it can be synced with an Android device. Access online via contacts.google.com and no longer fear loss even in the event of a device loss. Suggestions:

1. Relationships - Enter relationships so you can put a contact in context
  2. Dates - Add DOB, anniversaries or other significant dates. It will appear in Google Calendar so you can send them a greeting. Makes you look good :-)
  3. Custom Field - Create your own custom fields e.g. Chinese characters, favourite food, hobby
  4. Notes - Record whatever you like
  5. Category - Make it a point to categorize every contact e.g. Tennis, Alumni, School, Work Place etc. This is useful to help you put the person in context
  6. Picture - Add a picture to help you remember what they look like
    It's worth investing time to get the contact database updated and cleaned up. In the event of the loss of a phone, just a get a new one, synch and you are back in business.
  7. Phone numbers - Use the correct format e.g. +65 12345678. Tag them correctly i.e. work, mobile etc.
  8. Addresses - Enter these consistently and tag them correctly i.e. work, home etc.

A useful app to have Contact Lookup Fast via Google Play https://play.google.com/store/ap...
It allows searches across all fields in contacts. Worth every cent :-)

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Administrator

Re: Maintaining a good contacts database using Google Contacts

I am really guilty of keying the context / category directly into the name field.But yes, I cannot stress enough to friends and relatives to always store the contacts on Google.

I use both Android and iPhones so I opted to use Google as my default contact account on my iPhone too.

Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub Smiley Happy