StarHub Community|The Community Run by You
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DIR-868L

Home Networking Expert

Got this router recently to play, since I'm already using DIR-865L as my primary router, so quite lazy to swap it at this stage. Since both are AC router, so I play the bridge mode to provide access to my computers, which is currently using Fast Ethernet (100Mbps - converted from very old phone lines).

My setup:

Primary router: DIR-865L (firmware 1.06SHC)

Wireless bridge: DIR-868L (firmware 1.07), AC 5Ghz... roughly 2 walls & 15m apart

Starhub Fibre 300Mbps

Initial speedtest looks promising:

Download speed: Range from high 190Mbps to 250Mbps

Upload speed: Consistently above 290Mbps

P/S: A definite speed "upgrade" from my old setup on relying on my phone line (fast ethernet, capped at 100Mbps - more like 90+Mbps)

868L-Starhub.JPG

868L-BBQ.JPG

865L-signal.JPG

CONS!

I have IPv6 enable, initially without introducing DIR-868L a few pages do freeze randomly (need to refresh browser, but the occurence has been reducing, I'd say fairly stable but not 100%.

But after using 868L, i noticed the old problem is back, pages freeze or images don't load. Tested with using my old setup on one computer (fast ethernet), and on 868L bridge mode. So I can fairly confirm the problem is with 868L. Will need to monitor a few more days to be conclusive (hopefully it get better over time, like the 865L)

30 Comments
Home Networking Expert

Just some minor update, although the DIR-868L in bridge mode provided some speed boost, I didn't quite like it because there is noticeable lag & webpage freeze. The connection was far smoother when I connect it with a LAN cable, albeit at a lower speed.

So I swap in the DIR-868L as my primary router, and I was wow! 25% increase in wifi download speed on my iPhone 5s. Previously it max at about 80Mbps, now it can go up to 100+Mbps, I'm impressed. Even some far corner in the house is getting good speed! And IPv6 were working flawlessly (although I'm not sure if it's the router because I get a new IP at 101.X, which is different from the 182.X range since last year).

IMG_3502.PNG

I'm going to setup the 865L in bridge mode to test if it's better since 868L has beam-forming, and 865L doesn't have

Esteemed Advocate

Would you be able to share/confirm if the Firmware v1.07 comes with various "Bridge Mode" options such as wireless AP, wireless Repeater Extender, wireless Bridge, etc? This is to be found under Setup/Internet. (Btw, in the older 865L, it has a wireless Bridge mode check box under Setup/Internet.) Thank you in advance.

Esteemed Advocate

Home Networking Expert

@elyap wrote:

Would you be able to share/confirm if the Firmware v1.07 comes with various "Bridge Mode" options such as wireless AP, wireless Repeater Extender, wireless Bridge, etc? This is to be found under Setup/Internet. (Btw, in the older 865L, it has a wireless Bridge mode check box under Setup/Internet.) Thank you in advance.

I can only find the same Bridge Mode option in DIR-868L setup page. The Admin interface is (i'd say) exactly the same as whatever you can find in DIR-865L.

Depending on how you set it up, it can function as Wireless AP, and wireless Bridge. There isn't any option for it to work as REPEATER/EXTENDER.

Esteemed Advocate
Thanks!
Home Networking Expert

@elyap wrote:
Thanks!

Apparently there's a newer firmware available now... will try this later today and update on the repeater mode!

Home Networking Expert

Preview... just changed firmware! Going to test the functionality now...

868L Bridge Mode.png

Home Networking Expert

After the firmware change, I swap in DIR-865L as my primary router again.

DIr-868L was moved back into my study room, and the first mode I tested was Wireless AP mode. Once I changed the mode, the IP address of the device were automatically changed to 192.168.0.50 (not a problem for me since my IP range is the same).

The "data feed" (LAN cable from primary router) can be plug into both the LAN or WAN port.. both works but becareful of the IP address change due to DHCP IP assignment to the router

The 4 remaining LAN port is working (i tested only one since I need to hook my laptop to the router to make config changes).

This is a fairly standard functionality, everything works as it should, wifi speed was expected from the wifi router. The only think I like is the ability to use the WAN port to feed data in, no wastage!!! (my 8 port switch can retire!)

Home Networking Expert

Next I tried the wireless Bridge mode, nothing much to report here, result still the same as my first post!

Home Networking Expert

Currently running Wireless Repeater Extender mode. Connected to primary router wirelessly using 5Ghz AC. And concurrently running as wireless ap (both 2.4 & 5Ghz) as well as bridge mode (LAN ports are working).

Speedtest result still the same as from post #1 above. Will leave it in this mode for a couple of days to monitor overall user experience

Wonderful Smiley Happy

Home Networking Expert

@Howard wrote:
Wonderful Smiley Happy

Any plan to bring this 'mode' to DIR-865L? I think it will benefit many people especially those with >1 routers idling at home Smiley Happy

Generally, the decision makers will be D-Link Smiley Happy

We can always suggest though
Esteemed Advocate
If I may just do a quick summary of the 4 modes:

1. Wireless Router - this is the default mode.

2. Wireless AP - the usual AP configuration which could be done manually rather easily. AP provides both wireless and wired connections to the network.

3. Wireless Bridge - the wireless link works as a "bridge" connecting the router/AP to this piece. Only wired connections are available from here.

4. Wireless Repeater Extender - the wireless link connects the router/AP with the repeater. Both wired and wireless connections are available from the repeater.

Comparing with the older Dir-865L, only this repeater mode is new but certainly a useful addition. ;-)
Home Networking Expert

@elyap wrote:
If I may just do a quick summary of the 4 modes:

1. Wireless Router - this is the default mode.

2. Wireless AP - the usual AP configuration which could be done manually rather easily. AP provides both wireless and wired connections to the network.

3. Wireless Bridge - the wireless link works as a "bridge" connecting the router/AP to this piece. Only wired connections are available from here.

4. Wireless Repeater Extender - the wireless link connects the router/AP with the repeater. Both wired and wireless connections are available from the repeater.

Comparing with the older Dir-865L, only this repeater mode is new but certainly a useful addition. ;-)

You are right, except...

1.) 868L also support beamforming (865L don't)

2.) Dual-core 800Mhz processor (vs 600Mhz for 865L, not sure if it's single core)

3.) WIFI throughput, in my case, was higher and further for 868L too (both router sits at exact same position)

Things I don't like about DLINK router (trivial matter), the supplied 2-pin plug doesn't work well with the plugs at my home, very difficult to pull them out! I see they can easily swap it with the standard UK 3 pin plug, but they never provide.

The supplied power cable is very short, very diffucult to place the router high high (lol)

Home Networking Expert

@Howard wrote:
Generally, the decision makers will be D-Link Smiley Happy

We can always suggest though

Given that Starhub is probably their largest 'retail customer', I'm sure they will listen to you Man Wink

Senior Commentator

Hi

Can someone provide a link to the exact firmware that has the repeater mode for 868L ?

I have tried v7, v8, v4 and I only get the checkbox for bridge mode, not the dropdown menu to chose repeater.

Senior Commentator

I have received the link with the firmware, thanks; it works Smiley Happy

Valued Commentator

Same request as koroziv here: could someone please send me a link for the firmware so I can use the repeater mode? Looked everywhere but cannot seem to find a downloadlink. Thanks a million in advance!

Valued Commentator

Really nobody can help me out with this firmware? Smiley Frustrated

If so please PM me!! I really need it badly. Thanks so much in advance!!

New Commentator

Can someone send the router firmware for the wireless bridge functionality as well? I upgraded to retail version, still no option. Thanks

Senior Commentator

I'll search on my pc for the file, if I still have it I'll provide a link. The download link that I used is no longer available.

Edit

here you go :

http://s.go.ro/7wk93

New Commentator

Hi all, could you please share the firmware (1.00 SHC) which included Wireless Repeater Extender mode ? Mine one updated with 1.08 by mistake and cannot find the multiple bridge options.. Smiley Sad

Thank you so much in advance!

--------

Update

Found it from >> https://sg.mydlink.com/support 

Thanks anyway, i wouldn't know those features without yours posts, Cheers!!

Senior Commentator
Need some help on wireless repeater. Already set my main router which is 856l to 192.168.0.1... I reset 868l.. then select wireless repeater... when 868l reboot.. no matter how I do, I cannot connect to 192.168.0.50... tried it on 2 laptop... same result. Any setting I had miss out?
New Commentator

Hi all, could you please share the firmware (1.00 SHC) which included Wireless Repeater Extender mode ?

New Commentator

I too would appreciate it if someone could share this firmware with me. Thanks! 

Grand Guru

From DLink local website

http://global.dlink.com.sg/support/support_detail.asp?idproduct=624

Regards

Eric.

Grand Guru

For your info.

I am using this router connected to ONT.

Another same router as repeater, as Wireless AP mode.

The firmware is 1.06SHC

The wireless from main router to repeater is about 800Mbps although there is one wall between both routers.

Hence i am able to wired from repeater to laptop with connection speed up to 500Mbps plan without any issue.

So far, the connection is stable without any issue.

Regards

Eric.

New Commentator

Hi

Can someone provide a link to the exact firmware that has the repeater mode for 868L ? My email is:

nanovitch@hotmail.com

Thanks !

Grand Guru

Hi  @nanov

The link to the firmware:

>> DIR-868L Firmware 1.09SHC 

Follow the procedure guide.

If you are still unsure, you can contact DLink hotline 65014200 technical support line to assist you.

After firmware update, you can proceed to "Enter Lucky Draw" as the link on top right of this website.

Regards

Eric.