StarHub Community|The Community Run by You
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre TV poor quality

Valued Commentator

Fibre TV poor quality

Just had Fibre TV installed. Really disappointed as picture is low resolution and refresh is even worse. Not half as good as the cable TV service. Tried calling to enquire but call connection dropped just after I got through (after waiting on hold for 10 minutes) - no attempt to call me back.

6 REPLIES 6
Administrator

Re: Fibre TV poor quality

Hi Ausmar, kindly PM us an image of the error and your details (Registered Name, Registered Mobile Number and Hub ID/Email Address) >> HERE << to assist you further. Thank you.

Valued Commentator

Huh? What error is this? It’s likely to be a problem with the quality of your service. Either the STBs are or Low specification and unable to decide the HD signal or you are simply not transmitting a quality signal via your IPTV lnetwork.

Community Manager

Hi ausmar

I hear you and sometimes there may intermittent or distorted images due to broadcasting signal issues too. For us to isolate the issue, please provide us with the requested information via PM where we can arrange for technical assistance.

- Amy
reo
Valued Commentator

There should be quite many threads on the topic, I pasted 2 others below:

https://community.starhub.com/t5/Set-Top-Boxes/Image-quality-lacking-compared-to-cable/m-p/160158

https://community.starhub.com/t5/Set-Top-Boxes/After-swap-from-cable-to-Fibre-TV-Image-quality-drop/...

I've been watching SH HD TV for more than 10 years, so I know very well what a good HD quality is.  Also, I've perfect vision 4/6 with my glasses.

I really should have searched before taking the plunge to migrate to fibre TV as never in my life within my imagingation that SH would screw this up big time, I meant really big.  After the fact, I realised people have reported the problem since at least 1 year ago, and now that I'm facing it, I can only conclude SH has no solution.  I wonder the people who have posted here and the other threads how did you deal with the problem.

I recently migrated to Fibre TV.  As many said, it's a plain one-to-one swap of the setop box (from cable TV to Fibre TV), nothing else changed.  To my big disappointing surprise, the HD quality dropped so much so I no longer watch SH TV no more.  See, in the past, I'd only watch HD content as watching SD content is making me feel like I'm having cataract or some kind of eye-related problem.  The quality of HD from the Samsung fibre settop box is so poor, I'd rate it as just very slightly above SD.  I've been wondering when SH will bring in UHD (while Japan/UK is ready for 8k) and here we are, having Fibre setup in which quality is not even near HD !!  How could we have regressed so much instead of getting better.

I reported to SH holine, telling them my issue with the HD quality.  Of course, I had to put up with the usual basic questions (I refrain from calling them spastic questions, or did I?) like, did you use a HDMI cable, did you set it to 1080i, etc...).  Twice in separate occasions, an onsite technician came telling me I asked to swap the boxes.  No, that's not what my compaint was, but if you wanted to swap, no harm trying (even though I was 100% skeptical).  What got swapped in was the same model as before.  Of course, nothing improved.  Both onsite technicians agreed the quality is not what HD should be.

Called up SH again, who escalated to their backend technical team.  The next reply was turn up the sharpness of my TV.  What, if I buy a low quality cheapo camera and if I turn up the sharpness, it's going to match up the quality of a high-end camera which costs thousands of dollars!!  Of course that didn't help - as a matter of fact, I had done it way back as soon as I realised the details were way off.  By the way, the message from the backend team was indeed the Samsung settop and the entire setup was such that sharpness has been toned down.  Tsk tsk....  is SH thinking they are the only people with some technical knowledge.  Of course there's an image quality issue, it doesn't take a PHD in IT to realise that.  What's so hard to admit it rather than bringing every customers who reported the problem to go round in circles.  Well for those who think the image quality is ok, ask yourself have you seen any good HD content and also do you have a good eyesight with good resolution.  Well, I offer you this, plug in both the previous cable setop box and the fibre one side-by-side on the same TV and watch the same channel and see for youself what a HD quality should be.  If you still don't see a difference, go get your visual-neural checked.  Why would SH teams deny this fact but instead trying to conver up and waste our time is something I just can't fathom.  I can imagine the screw up and the cost implications on SH but that's another topic, which has nothing to do with me as a subscriber (read, customer), who is not asking for more but have been cajoled (hmm coerced really) to mgirate to Fibre TV.

As I type, still waiting for SH to address the issue, stay tuned.

Community Manager

Hi, please PM us your subscriber name, registered Hub ID / email address and mobile number >> HERE << we’ll arrange for assistance. Thank you.

If my post answers your question, please click on the "Accept as Solution" button!
reo
Valued Commentator

The issue has been concluded a while back - posting back the outcome for those who happened to stumble on this thread.

Starhub did not have a solution – as I expected.  There was certainly a design oversight that the supposedly HD quality is not HD at all, whether it’s due to compression issue or whatsoever does not matter.

Starhub will not acknowledge the issue for fear of cost and legal backlash.

If you can appreciate true HD quality or better UHD, streaming is the way to go.  Streaming services are Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Viu and many others that are launching or just launched.   Besides, the subscriptions are a lot cheaper than Starhub services.

Even free-to-air digital TV have true HD quality and way better than Starhub.