GreenR Community|The Community Run by You
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Male Care Givers : Less likely to ask for help?

Highlighted
Community Caregiver

The majority of Care Givers in Singapore and elsewhere in the world are females. In Singapore as high as 70% of Care Givers for the elderly are females.  Thank God for them.

IMG-20150515-WA0004.jpg

The female Care Givers in BW Generation. All the staff are female care givers except me.

Among unpaid, informal caregivers of older people with illness or disability, male caregivers in particular can be ambivalent about asking for help, according to a new review.

Caregivers are often family or close friends. Most are women. In the U.K., for example, 58per cent of informal caregivers are female, according to lead author Dr. Nan Greenwood of Kingston University and St George’s at the University of London.

Google.png

Google statistics on male/female searches for Care Giver products.

The 30%-40per cent who are men, and their experience still needs closer attention.

A lot of the people the government would call a ‘carer’ would call themselves a husband or son, and this may be particularly true of men who care for thier wives, father or mother.  Men are less likely to categorize themselves as carers so they don’t even think to go for support. They see themselves as doing what a husband or son would do and les likely to ask or seek help.

This gender issue between men and women also shows up in the statistics for Elderly or Care Giver suicide, where men out number women, mainly due to lack of support issues or more specifically not seeking help or support issue.

https://www.bwgeneration.com/news/articles/

http://community.starhub.com/t5/Caregivers-Blog/Elderly-Suicide-on-the-Increase-Can-Active-Ageing-He...

In general, male caregivers felt committed to their roles and saw it as their duty, but were ambivalent about seeking help, a research in America found.

The men frequently said they did not have enough information about support services.

Men can find things like intimate care or washing more difficult than women in some cases, she said.

Women are more likely to say they are depressed, and report higher levels of burden, but that could be influenced by how open men are at reporting depression.

In Singapore we are blessed that the Government has initiated many support services for the Care Giver and the eldery, in my next article I wll talk more about the services available.

Currently, support services can include day-care programs, some including support programs for the informal caregiver, case management, respite care, and psychotherapy, financial subsidies, Care Giver training subsidies up to 90%-95% subsidies. 

Both men and women are often unaware of these options. 

In caring for my father we have used the training subsidies to help train oursleves and our helper, which we recieved 90% subsidies on training wich costs $180.

The trainers would come to our home and train us. We have signed up for these subsidiesed training on 2 occassions, once for general care giver training, then another time when my father was bed bound and we will sign up for the third one soon since my father is now being ytube fed.

Please write to me if you like to know about Care Giver Training, I can point you in the rigt dierction.

Please write and comment on your own experience that you like to share with other care givers.

1 REPLY 1
Valued Commentator

Re: Male Care Givers : Less likely to ask for help?

You make a good point. Most primary caregivers are female. I also found that male caregivers provide the physical strength where it is necessary, mostly when transferring from one position to another. Either way, being a caregiver is a huge responsibility, & regardless of sex, we should always ask for help when we need it, & I believe that may be a topic covered in caregiver training. Everybody should utilize the caregiver training grant that you have mentioned.

Thank you for making this post.

Join me in studying the physical capabilities of aging.