Diabetes: “It won't happen to me?" "Should you be concerned?”

Highlighted
Community Caregiver

Diabetes:

“It won't happen to me?"

"Should you be concerned?”

Recently there has been lots of talk and focus on diabetes and its cost to society as a whole. To me it is a slow and painful drag for the elderly and care givers trying to manage this disease.

Straits Times:

"At 10.53% of people with disease, Republic is behind US among developed nations: Study  Linette Lai

"Singapore has the second-highest proportion of diabetics among developed nations, a new report by the International Diabetes Federation (IDF) revealed."

Diabetes Straits Times.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/BWGeneration.AdultDiapers

I feel the focus on diabetes is long overdue. For those who are inherently predisposed and therefore vulnerable, extra care to avoid the risks factors becomes urgent. For those who contract the disease because of life style choices, there is really no excuse, because it is highly preventable if we choose to live responsibly.

There are varying degrees of knowledge about this disease among the general public. This information is readily available but few care to check and many of us live life as though it is some else's problem, until it hits home, then its too late.  

Diabetes has the potency to cause, permanent damage to organs if not properly treated and managed. In some instance due to ignorance, lack of health screening, the disease is left undiagnosed, hence untreated and unmanaged, causing irreversible damage to the body.

My own 85 year old father is one. He is currently blind from Glaucoma. He has been blind for over 4 years now. Regrettably, blindness caused by Glaucoma is highly preventable with control of blood sugar and regular, religious application of eye drops. Through his pride he chose to live away from his children who could care for him and neglected his health, until we had to intervene.

My dear father who chose to live with my late mother on their own was ignorant of the damage diabetes can cause if left unmanaged, until it was too late and irreversible. It was only about 10 years ago that we (his children) decided that enough was enough and moved them into my house in order to care for them. The moved was not without angst or strong words but it was something that had to be done, yet it was too late for his eyesight. On hindsight we should have acted sooner, but I think the Chinese culture of father knows best, caused us to hesitate, after all he was the provider and the authority in bringin us up.

Due to his blindness he lost his mobility and gradually became bed bound.

Perhaps what is really sad for us as a family and also for my dear father, is that my father is a Great Grandfather twice over, but he has never seen his 2 great grandsons due to his blindness. I can imagine how sad he must feel.

Apart from diabetes (now managed and treated by us Care Givers) and hypertension his health for 85 years old is good, considering he does not have any issues with his vital organs.

I have been Care Giver for my father for over 10 years now and everyday it is a constant battle to keep his sugar down, which is getting more and more challenging with age. Three times a day we take his sugar levels and we observe a very strict diet.

Eventually the sugar levels will take its toll on the other organs.

My father has type 2 diabetes. So what is the difference between type 1 and type 2 diabetes?

I came across this video which helps explain this very well.

Hope this can help other Care Givers gain a better understanding of this disease, and also to give it the due attention this disease deserves so as to avoid succumbing to it.

Here is the video...

https://www.facebook.com/BWGeneration.AdultDiapers

If you have any experience, suggestions and advice that you like to share with other Care Giver please comment.

If you like to hear more of other Care Giver topics please indicate

Lead Care Giver.

2 REPLIES 2
Community Caregiver

Re: Diabetes: “It won't happen to me?" "Should you be concerned?”

‘war on diabetes’  Now it is war and about time.

MV5BMTQzODkwNDQxNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTQ1ODAxOA@@._V1_UX128_CR0,0,128,190_AL_.jpg

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/new-taskforce-established/2691422.html

Whats your experience with this disease?  

What else can be done any suggestions?

What do you think of the UK tax on sugared drinks?

Is there enough being done?

Community Caregiver

Re: Diabetes: “It won't happen to me?" "Should you be concerned?”

Diabetes may shorten healthy years of life

Men and women with diabetes generally have shorter life expectancy and fewer years without disability than people without diabetes, according to a new study from Australia.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/health/diabetes-may-shorten-heal/2711758.html