GreenR Community|The Community Run by You
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There appears an HBO Logo on the upper right corner of my HBO movie screen. How do I remove it?

Trusted Commentator

There appears an HBO Logo on the upper right corner of my HBO movie screen. How do I remove it?

4 REPLIES 4
Hub Master

Re: There appears an HBO Logo on the upper right corner of my HBO movie screen. How do I remove it?

Would not be able to remove that logo.

Smiley Happy ## Love does not die because of distance. It dies because of doubt. ## Smiley Happy
Any views expressed here are explicitly to the best of my knowledge and sometimes in my personal opinion and not necessarily in the views by Starhub.
Trusted Commentator

Re: There appears an HBO Logo on the upper right corner of my HBO movie screen. How do I remove it?

>> .. not able to remove the logo<<

If “not able to remove” is true the logo and inability to remove it is a feature set in place by Starhub as that logo is not in place in other HBO markets. 

I suggest that Starhub customers who pay to receive HBO discontinue the service until Starhub offers the option to NOT display the logo.

I will discontinue the HBO service if and when I discover, unequivocally, the logo cannot be removed.

Feature films are art. It is improper for Starhub to desecrate a director’s art with the HBO logo … or any other ... as the logo surely is displayed because HBO … or other third parties …  pay Starhub for the placement.

I object to Starhub's action to charge me for HBO service and simultaneously insist … indeed shove it down my throat … that I pay for advertising that surreptitiously produces revenue for Starhub.

Transparency and level treatment are the key to equitable deals and customer satisfaction. The hidden charge leveled by Starhub does not comprise transparency and level treatment.

Respected Advisor

Hey. How about asking MediaCorp Channel 5 to remove their logo on the top right hand corner, and the request is denied, and you talk about transparency levels, hidden charges, advertising and all? (Oh btw you cannot do that, it's FTA and TV licences are no longer around)

You can't. If not, how will you know what channel you are watching?

And also, it isn't StarHub's fault that the HBO logo is not removed. It is HBO's fault. HBO is the one who puts the logo there, not StarHub. HBO brings the channel to StarHub, and the programming/logo decision is not up to StarHub to decide.

To put the HBO's logo on the top right hand corner on the TV screen means that HBO wants to let the audience know that they are watching HBO, and this identifies themselves to the audiences as well. So, if you want the HBO logo to be removed, and you blame StarHub, you might also want to blame the rest of cable TV providers in Asia and if you want to, you might want to blame the bigger HBO headquarters in Singapore and USA.

Only 1 logo and you talk about transparency levels, hidden charges, advertising and all. At least StarHub is not like the other red pay-TV provider which freezes all the time.

This has nothing to do with StarHub's service and whatsoever. HBO serves not only in Singapore, but serves in HK, Vietnam, Malaysia etc.

If you still insist on removing the logo, you may want to contact HBO Asia directly. I shall give you the link - http://www.hboasia.com/contact/Contact-Us-15

Alternatively, you may want to rent/buy DVD, they have no logos, or download (either legal or illegally), most of them do not have any channel/company logos.

Have a good day. Smiley Happy

Trusted Commentator

Thanks for your information laden objective and thoughtful note, Norman BrothaSista.

I’ll reply in quote back so’s to make sure my reply gets to you in the order you delivered your comment:

>> How about asking MediaCorp Channel 5 to remove their logo on the top right hand corner<<

>> how will you know what channel you are watching?<<

I don’t care what does Media Corp, I only lookat HBO on the Starhub subscripton service and even if I did wish to allow teevee drivel loose in my six theater chair 50” screen surround sound no windows viewing room I’m quite sure I’d know what channel wuz tuned.

>> And also, it isn't StarHub's fault that the HBO logo is not removed. It is HBO's fault. HBO is the one who puts the logo there, not StarHub. HBO brings the channel to StarHub, and the programming/logo decision is not up to StarHub to decide. <<

Tell you de trut, Norman, I haven’t seen the document that lays out the deal between HBO and Starhub. If you have, please sent me a copy.

Here’s what I think happens: HBO delivers a signal to Starhub, Starhub distributes the signal to it’s subscribers. I think Starhub gets a preferential price from the Asia HBO licensee for delivery of the logo to Starhub subscribers.

SO: Starhub gets a price reduction from HBO and then charges subscribers a subscription fee. Looks to me like Starhub is having its cake and eating it too. I tell you this, for sure: if I can’t get the logo off I will discontinue the service.

>><To put the HBO's logo on the top right hand corner on the TV screen means that HBO wants to let the audience know that they are watching HBO, and this identifies themselves to the audiences as well. <<

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Norman Brother/Sista, that’s called advertisement. I don’t want to pay starhub to deliver HBO advertisement to me. I don’t want HBO ads. I don’t even want HBO movies, really. In the couple or three weeks I’ve had the service I haven’t seen one movie listed that’s worth the time one needs to waste to watch it. Ray Liotta as a wackedout horny guy on a 747 piloted by a flight attendant? Gimme a break.

>> So, if you want the HBO logo to be removed, and you blame StarHub, you might also want to blame the rest of cable TV providers in Asia<<

I don’t care what do other cable providers in asia and if asia cable subscribers want to pay their carriers to have ads delivered that’s their choice. The foundation premise, advantage of a subscription service is so’s to have signal delivered without ads.  

>> if you want to, you might want to blame the bigger HBO headquarters in Singapore and USA.<<

As I said earlier, I haven’t seen the paperwork for the deal though I guess HBO offers reduced pricing if Starhub delivers the advertising. So, it ain’t HBO’s bad. Starhub doesn’t hafta buy the signal with the bug displayed, I guess.

… and speaking of US, HBO watchers in USA advise me their cable providers DO NOT deliver the bug. I guess US cable providers struck a better deal with HBO.

>> This has nothing to do with StarHub's service and whatsoever. HBO serves not only in Singapore, but serves in HK, Vietnam, Malaysia etc. <<

Once again, I haven’t seen the HBO Starhub contract though and I’m eager to see the copy you have that’s provided the chapter and verse you’re so sure of.

Please, send it along.

>> Alternatively, you may want to rent/buy DVD, they have no logos, or download (either legal or illegally), most of them do not have any channel/company logos.<<

Ya know, Norman Brother/Sista, your suggestion is precisely the decision I made some years ago. I haven’t looked at 100 hours of teevee in my entire life, which total length is surely double, maybe three times yours. I do have a thousand or so movies on disk that offer gorgeously delivered and usually well rendered signal and I add to the library as good movies are released.

Though I do have a couple complaints about disks these days, perhaps your expert-ship can offer me a solution:

1. I want disk publishers to adopt a standard format and operations setup menu. I guess the publishers hire a five dollar an hour programmer snorting ounces of some heinous drug somewhere in a dusty bay in an industrial park in Covina … and the result is EVERY setup menu has a different look and operation scheme. I don’t care, even, if they use that guy in Covina, as long as all the publishers use the same guy.
  2. OK, then the publishers have begun to deliver more and more trailers on the disks for which I pay big bucks. I DON’T WANT TO PAY THE PUBLISHERS TO DELIVER ADVERTISEMENT TO ME.

Can you do suthin’ about it, Norman SistaBrother?