cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starhub TV distortion on Chinese channels

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Starhub TV distortion on Chinese channels

Recently I have experienced bad distortion on specific Chinese channels when using my Cisco HD set top box. . All other channels are fine.
I had called starhub and was requested to change stb at starhub centre. I had to queue to change this and the wait was more than 1.5 hours.
The staff exchanged me an stb which is not new.
On return home and connecting the replacement stb, the distortion still appears and what's more, the interactive TV doesn't work and I cannot get programs on demand any more. This stb is worse the the previous one I had.
I tried calling 1633 but the selecting the options on my smart phone does not work as the voice prompts does not seem to recognize my key presses.
Extremely upset and disappointed. Please help. I am paying for services that I am not getting.
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Alumni (Retired)

Re: Starhub TV distortion on Chinese channels

Do you have other cable points or coaxial cables at home? If yes, maybe can try it out. The issue might be with either.

As for the Interactive TV and video on demand, you would need to wait for a short while. Once the new box is keyed into the system and tied to your plan, it will be working fine.
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Video on demand still doesn't work.
You can select the show but when it plays, no image appears. The play bar however show that the video is playing but no image at all.
There is also charges and the normal information that I have til xx date to complete watching.
This is ridiculous.
The image distortion issue only exists for the Chinese channels and not other channels. Could the cable points be at fault? If it is cable point, wouldn't all channels be distorted???
Highlighted
Alumni (Retired)

There is a misconception that poor/weak signal will affect all channels.

When the signal is weak or poor, or there is any interference due to faulty cable point or coaxial cable, it can affect all channels or just some particular channels or even just a single channel.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I will try other cable points. Thanks

What about the VOD? It still can't play. I can select the show, the bar at the bottom shows that its playing but no image of 5he show.
Highlighted
Grand Guru

Are you using HDMI cable or Audio Video cable ?

If you are using HDMI, it could be the Setting for the video resolution.

To set the video resolution for HDMI; use the Set-Top box remote control.

There is a button on keypad, just below  the digit 9; as it have both  "#" & resolution display on that button.

It will display all the available resolution, use the "Up" "Down" on top & down keypad  "OK" button.

I did had such distortion of the display, and the Starhub guy (actually resolved fibre issue) said that it the resolution of HDMI not correct. He show me how he change the HDMI resolution issue.

If you are using Audio Video cables, connect it to your TV to check.

You can use the Audio Video cables to connect from Set-Top box to the TV

(As mentioned by  razerproSmiley Wink

Highlighted
Grand Guru

Do the changing the setting for resolution, first.

The VOD issue is the same;  as you mention in your first post.

Once the resolution is corrected, VOD may also be resolved.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Thanks for advice. I am using HDMI.
My resolution is set to 1080i as per before.

it would be good if Star hub can send a technical expert to help me with this.
Highlighted
Grand Guru

Firstly, do a simple diagnosis yourself.

Go get a new TV cable and test it. Or another TV cable, if there is.

If with the new cable, the problem still exist.

Then you need call Starhub to fix an appt for their technician to come and check.

You need to tell them as what you had done.

Especially with new TV cable. So that they may need to check with their necessary tools. As it may also the problem with the TV socket (wall) which may cause the problem.

Mentioned that your resolution is the same before this issue pop up.

Ask them to bring along their

1. Smart Card, unless they claim should not be the issue. As your part you had mentioned.

2. TV cable (if they may or may not),

3.  complete "new model" full set-top box (including cable and remote control). Ensure them to bring the whole complete set of Set-top box (power adapter, remote control - this is important, to avoid them to go back and come another time.

(Note: Starhub have no longer use HubStationHD (according to their website), as they now use Samsung type, with slight differences)

Remind the CS that you had go to Starhub brance and they did Set-Top box replacement was the refurbish set. So they are aware of it.

If you do have the previous "Work(s) Order" , quote the 12 digits - right top under "Work(s) Order Information"

Don't assume they will bring all necessary items. If they still insist on refurbish, never  mind. If they still cannot resolve with that refurbish set, then you can tell them you have request and they insist.

And this is 2nd time and still not resolved with the existing refurbish set.

The Service should be free, as you had done your part by going yourself to exchange an refurbish set!

And take note of the CS staff name and what you told the CS.  [Just in case]

When i encountered my fibre had issue, the technician bring along; firbre line, modem & router; just in case which was the item having problem. The problem is just the fibre line damaged. Cost $6.