cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart tv doesn't work, rewind, pause buttons etc don't work Samsung gx-sh530cf

Highlighted
Respected Commentator

Smart tv doesn't work, rewind, pause buttons etc don't work Samsung gx-sh530cf

Got new set top box today with external hard drive from starhub. So far it wont let me set recordings, won't let me rewind or pause etc shows that I'm watching. Smart tv function no function. Any ideas how to get this piece of **bleep** to work? Wonder if my hubstation was shut down on purpose so I gotta go get this new one and pay for a hard drive. 

Everyone's Tags (2)
8 REPLIES 8
Alumni (Retired)

Re: Smart tv doesn't work, rewind, pause buttons etc don't work Samsung gx-sh530cf

Hello @Mjbech

in order for the external had drive to work, you will need to subscribe Smart TV™ value-added service.

We recommend that you follow these 2 steps below.

1. Connect the Digital Video Storage Device to your HD Interactive set-top box
  2. Press the BLUE button on your remote control to subscribe to Smart TV™ value-added service at only $4.28/month and start recording instantly

Let us know if the above helps, if no, do PM me your account details and we will get our support team to assist you further.

Thank you

Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub.

If my post answers your question, please click on the "Accept as Solution" button!

Respected Commentator

Re: Smart tv doesn't work, rewind, pause buttons etc don't work Samsung gx-sh530cf

Press blue button and nothing happens so can't even subscribe for the extra fee
I had all these options before I changed the box, why the hell has it not been carried over or why didnt the service person at your nex shop make sure it was on when he sold me the hard drive?
Seriously it's a joke, pay all these fees and charges for such rubbish service and performance

Respected Advocate

Hi Mjbech

I has the same issues getting SmartTV to work too when I first got the new STB and WD HDD from Starhub too.

When you first plug in your HDD to the STB, you will get a prompt asking if you want to use as an external device player  (or something) Can't rem the exact prompt but basically, the STB is asking whether you want to use the STB to play video clips on your HDD. 

You need to select 'NO' to this prompt. And then let the STB set up the HDD as a SmartTV device. It will take a couple of minutes. After that, you will be prompted to subscribe to SmartTV . And then things should work as per what you are used to with the HubStation. 

If you are still having issues, I suggest you call the hotline for assistance for a walkthrough. It's quite simple to set things up. The tech help should be able to guide you through. 

I absolutely agree with you that Starhub is doing a very poor job of providing a step by step to get SmartTV working. I consider myself fairly IT savvy and still could not get it to work the first time so I can only imagine what it's like for other who may not be as comfortable. 

Is it so difficult for Starhub to provide a pictorial step-by-step setup for the SmartTV? It's not exactly plug and play and it will work like magic. There are a few hoops to jump through to get it working and not all the steps are obvious and intuitive either. 

Everyone's Tags (1)
Respected Advocate

@Santosh Rai wrote:

Hello @Mjbech

in order for the external had drive to work, you will need to subscribe Smart TV™ value-added service.

We recommend that you follow these 2 steps below.

1. Connect the Digital Video Storage Device to your HD Interactive set-top box
  2. Press the BLUE button on your remote control to subscribe to Smart TV™ value-added service at only $4.28/month and start recording instantly

Let us know if the above helps, if no, do PM me your account details and we will get our support team to assist you further.

Thank you

Hi Santosh Ra

It's not as straightforward as that.  I dun think you know what is required to get SmartTV working.  Smiley Frustrated

So either list the correct steps or refrain from confusing and frustrating your users further! Smiley Mad

Respected Advocate

@Mjbech wrote:

Press blue button and nothing happens so can't even subscribe for the extra fee
I had all these options before I changed the box, why the hell has it not been carried over or why didnt the service person at your nex shop make sure it was on when he sold me the hard drive?
Seriously it's a joke, pay all these fees and charges for such rubbish service and performance

One more thing. 

I had issues with my Hubstation too and was 'forced' to move to SmartTV. During the signup, I was told that users who switch from Hubstation will get 12 months SmartTV subscription free.  So make sure you get this too. If not, you know what to do Smiley Wink

I wasn't happy that Hubstation is no longer supported too but SmartTV has its advantages. The biggest advantage is that you dun lost your recorded programs when your STB breaks down. You just plug in your hdd to the new STB and all your recorded programs are still there. And 1TB has a much bigger recording capacity that the old Hubstation STB. Recently I found that SmartTV has the ability to record two concurrent programs at the same time! 

But some of the old features in the Hubstation is gone. You can't modify the record start/end time so  when program is out of telecast timing, you may lose the start or end of the show. 

Alumni (Retired)

Hi @Mjbech , sorry to hear about the issue that you are facing.

Do drop us a PM us with following details:

Subscriber's name:      

Subscriber's NRIC/FIN:

Subscriber's E-mail Address:

Subscriber's mobile number:

We will check and get back to you soon. 

Thank you. – Sofia

Sofia
Respected Commentator

Thanks @lonewofsg, why starhub can't supply these instructions in the first place is beyond me! But I've never found starhub to particularly helpful with anything but billing on time! Thanks champion
New Commentator

Hi,

Thought I will just chime in how I got this sorted recently.

Swapped out my old hub station with built-in HDD for the Samsung unit and bought my own WD passport 1TB from Challenger.

I had already subscribed to the $4/mth option prior over the counter, but after trying for a couple of hours, I finally got this working, after noting my mis-steps.

1) I connected the WD HDD to a notebook and completely erased all partitions using Easeus partition manager free. Then formatted it under Fat32 using the same application

2) Connected the WD HDD to the Samsung unit then a prompt comes up on the TV asking if I wanted to configure Hard drive to Media Centre, and at this point, the ANSWER should be NO. ( I had answered YES many times before and this led to the failure of getting Smart TV sorted).

3) When you ANSWER NO to 2), you will be prompted with a subsequent message that will ask you something like if you would like to configure storage to Smart TV. At this point, ANSWER YES. 

And that's about it. The tricky bit was step 2 when I kept answering YES to the Media Centre prompt.

Step 1 is important because the WD HDD comes factory formatted under NTFS with 3 partitions.

Hope this is helpful to anyone else facing this Smart TV setup headache.