GreenR Community|The Community Run by You
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPTV, managed switch and VLAN 1091 - is this still correct?

Esteemed Contributor

IPTV, managed switch and VLAN 1091 - is this still correct?

Hi community,

I will be going through the Cable -> IPTV upgrade. I have only one RJ-45 from ONT to living room for Internet.

Can I connect IPTV using VLAN 1091 and use one cable? Is this information still valid?

ONT closet:

Starhub Internet  ---- managedSwitch1 port 1 untagged---------trunk------VLAN1,1091-----managedSwitch2

Starhub IPTV      ---- managedSwitch1 trunk port (allowed vlan 1091)--

Living room:

===trunk allowed vlan 1, 1091 === managedSwitch2 split to wifi router and IPTV set-top box.

Is this information still valid, and will this scheme work?

9 REPLIES 9
Esteemed Contributor

Re: IPTV, managed switch and VLAN 1091 - is this still correct?

Self-followup:

I called customer care 1633, but they are not well informed about managed switches and VLAN trunking.

The answer I got from the gentleman (after he put me on hold for a long time and refused to escalate to more knowledgeable staff) is that "it would work, but signal will be poor".

From a technical POV, this doesn't make sense as it is just IP traffic.

To StarHub: I hope you can give more clarity on the use of managed switch/VLAN trunking for IPTV/Internet.

Grand Guru

Hi,

There is someone who had done this type of set up on managed switch on IPTV and internet.

Refer to other forum, link;

Starhub IPTV in Switched network - help

Please do read carefully on the details and explanation.

For other option you can refer to this thread >  Starhub IPTV and LAN point

Do take note on > Fibre TV Set-Top Box  for more info and details.

i am not starhub staff.

Respected Commentator

Did anyone ever get this working...my Unifi setup with VLAN set for 1091 is not working. wondering if tghings have chaned on current installs.

Respected Commentator

I'm using a Unifi setup, and managed to get it to work. I get the occasional "Signal Error 2001" message but get the same error even with a direct connection.

My setup here:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching/Unifi-Starhub-IPTV-Setup-issues-Singapore-cons...

Community Manager

Hi zwizardofoz, I've replied to you via another post. Thank you.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes - it is still VLAN 1091-tagged all the way from ONT 2 to fibre STB.

My setup hasn't changed using two managed switches since installation day.

BTW: StarHub is trialing Ethernet-over-coax so that may be an alternative...

ONT2->active EoC->...<legacy coax cables>...->passive EoC->Fibre STB

Respected Commentator

I just put the switch at the ONT and ran to my STB in the same room and the Cat6 the guys put in to my Study has a a si milar switch to run to my STB there and thgen via another cable to my lounge so its all seperate network for now.

Why is it that these STB's only run 100MB speeds? And still only 1080i resolution...WTF starhub its 2019??? everyone (your cusomers on other things like appleTV, Amazon Fire, ruku and even Youtube) is 4K streaming these days and you are in the dark ages by comparison.

You boast about 1GB fibre and 2GB connections but you cant even supply 1080P!!! 

Alumni (Retired)

We're working with the partners at this time. Rest assured more updates will be announced at a later date when available. 

If you've any technical issues, please contact us via the link provided earlier and we'll assist you from there.

- Amy
Valued Commentator

I came across this article, Hope this guide on How to stream IPTV on Windows and macOS computer. https://www.technoxten.com/best-iptv-player-for-windows-pc/