Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HBO HD and FOX Movies HD Dolby Digital does not produce mainstream sound

Highlighted
Senior Commentator

HBO HD and FOX Movies HD Dolby Digital does not produce mainstream sound

Hi,
I have a Starhub HDMI Dolby Digital CISCO 4586DVB setup box. For the past few months I don't get the mainstream sound when I switch to HBO HD or FOX Movies HD or other HD movie channels. I can hear the surround stream sounds but I am not able to hear the mainstream dialogues being spoken in a movie. I have had this setup working for more than 2 years but only faltering for the past few months now.
The Other HD channels are working fine as of now.

I called the customer care and the lady who answered my call conveniently asked me to switch off my Dolby digital audio setting (!!!). When I told her that I want the Dolby digital mode, she tells me that those channels never worked in the Dolby digital(another !!!!!). Honestly, as a long standing customer of Starhub, I was very surprised and offended by the quality of troubleshooting support being offered.

Hoping someone out here can offer me a better support or else my contract if up for renewal very soon and I wouldn't mind switching to another service provider who cares about their customers.

Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6
Hub Master

Re: HBO HD and FOX Movies HD Dolby Digital does not produce mainstream sound

Hi there

Can you drop me a PM with your details?
========================================
Home is where the ♥ is
Senior Commentator

Hi.

I got a response from ur outbound call department and they are arranging an
onsite technician visit to help look into the issue.

Thanks for your attention.

Hub Master

You are welcome.
========================================
Home is where the ♥ is
Trusted Advocate

A lot depends on how you have things connected.  If you have the STB connected to your TV directly using HDMI and then an optical link to your Home Theatre System be aware that the majority of TVs DO NOT pass through DD 5.1, rather just 2 channel stereo.

To get DD 5.1 on a HTS you should connect the STB to an input on the HTS and then output from the HTS to the TV.

Some TVs do pass through DD 5.1 (or better) but they are in the vast minority at the moment.  Most people using Soundbars only get 2 channel stereo as they normally connect from the TV to the soundbar via the optical out of the TV.  A few of the more expensive soundbars have multiple HDMI inputs to allow them to take advantage of the DD sound.

Senior Commentator

Thank you for your reply. I have my cable connecting to the HTS and the HTS
connects to the TV just as u had described in ur response.
Please also note that this issue is very specific to the Fox Movies channel
and sometimes HBO. Other HD channels like MTV or AXN or Discovery output DD
5.1 just fine.

The technician who had come down to fix the issue was clueless and just
told me that customer care will follow up further on this issue and left.
Disappointing experience!

Trusted Advocate

Sounds like it is channel specific then, just thought it was worth mentioning about the way it was connected. I don't have FOX movies so can't check for you, perhaps someone else with FOC could comment