GreenR Community|The Community Run by You
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre TV recording only allowed using SmartTV?

Valued Contributor

Fibre TV recording only allowed using SmartTV?

24 REPLIES 24
Valued Contributor

Re: Fibre TV recording only allowed using SmartTV?

Sorry for the incomplete question. I was going to ask if recording of StarHub Fibre TV is only allowed using SmartTV because I got the message of "You cannot record copy protected movie" when I press the record button of my external HD recorder that had worked before with StarHub Cable TV before I switched over to StarHub Fibre TV. Can anyone confirm this?

Grand Guru

Hi,

Have you add the Recording features to the Fibre TV subscription cost $4.00 /month.

You have to request for this feature to add into your Fibre TV service.

Either you contact 1633 or write to forum CSO to request for this feature to add to your TV service.

Click on this link to; >> Send private message to Starhub CS 

Please submit and provide with the following information;

Message Subject:

Registered subscriber full Name, NRIC/FIN number, account (if any) and your contact & email.

Description:  Do include any other queries here &or this thread for reference.

How to send a PM (Private Message) on StarHub Community?

Ensure you are using WD My Passport HDD external on either 1TB or 2TB storage.

Connect the HDD to any USB ports on the Set Top box before power on and may ask to format first before use.

i am not starhub staff.

Valued Contributor

I know about Smart TV subscription. My question was whether fibre TV programs could be recorded using an external HDD recorder which I could do previously with cable TV.

Administrator

Hi @michael_chong

Let me try to explain in my own words.

Firstly, I would assume that you were able to record previously by connecting the set-top box to your recorder via an analogue connection (RGB or Component). 

With content now being easily available in high-definition, we have an increased obligation to the content right owners to protect the feed against unauthorised copying (beyond personal consumption). This is why most content are protected using HDCP (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandwidth_Digital_Content_Protection). This is not unique to StarHub. 

With a Smart TV subscription, recorded content are encrypted to prevent unauthorised copying, which fulfills our obligation to protect that content. 

I hope that helps. 

Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Thanks for the info. That's what I want to know. That means the StarHub Telesales who convinced me to switch from cable to fibre TV had withheld this info from me although I had posed questions regarding my intention to continue to use my own external HDD recorder with fibre TV. I was ill-informed.

Administrator

Hi @michael_chong

I'm sorry you feel this way.

Actually, we no longer have contract renewals for Cable TV since 26 June 2018. This is because we are shifting progressively to fibre as it is a newer technology. HDCP is mandatory with the use of HDMI connection which has been available since our Digital (Cable) TV set-top box days. And since we (consumers) would all expect our content to be in HD quality, it is inevitable that copyright protection will have be enforced on these licensed content. 

Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

I was told as recently as 16 September 2018 that I can continue to subscribe to cable TV. I should have done that in hindsight if I knew that recording fibre TV programs with third party recorders would not work. StarHub Telesales should be more forthright in telling people to change to fibre TV from cable TV.

Administrator

Hi @michael_chong

I can confirm that we no longer allow renewal of contract or new sign up of Cable TV services since June 2018. However, existing Cable TV subscribers can continue to use their service for now. In your case,since you went ahead with contract renewal, the only way to proceed would be to switch to Fibre TV. 

Actually, were you recording off RGB cables before the switch? I understand that the Fibre TV set-top boxes should have RGB connectors as well. 

Valued Contributor

Maybe you are right about the non-renewal of cable.TV subscriptions but allowing cable TV subscriptions to continue. 

Yes Fibre TV does have RGB connections and I have connected them to my external recorder but i am not allowed to record when I.pressed the record button. The message was "You cannot record copy protected movie".