GreenR Community|The Community Run by You
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre TV Set-Top box and external storage device questions.

Honored Contributor

FIbre TV Set-Top box and external storage device questions.

I will be swapping my existing HD Interactive set top box to Fibre TV set-top box within this week. I read with interest the FAQ on Fibre TV set top box at http://www.starhub.com/personal/support/tv/getting-started/starhub-tv-on-fibre.html as follows:

12. Will I be able to record my favourite programmes?

Smart TV recording service will be available with a type-approved Digital Video Storage Device. Subscription to Smart TV service at $4.28/month is required.

You will be able to purchase external HDD models from selected StarHub shops. Please note that the external HDD used for recording will be paired to your subscription account, and recordings will not be lost when you swap boxes.

I am quite puzzled over the underlined words. Can anyone conifrm this? I thought when a HDD is connected to a new set top for the first time, it has to be formated?

Also, has anyone tried whether the Fibre TV set-top support 2TB WD passport HDD?

5 REPLIES 5
Grand Guru

Re: FIbre TV Set-Top box and external storage device questions.

Only Western Digital My Passport Ultra 1TB is acceptable.

This means that you can watch only subscribe channels and include recording.

The HDD need to be connected to Set-top box before switch on.

In this way, this will prompt you to format for use in recording.

As this means all data in the HDD will be lost after format by Set-top box.

Many did said unable to format and record, as did not use that procedure.

Hence others replied that the HDD need to be connected and then to switch on the Set-top to format.

As meaning on swap of Set-top box, all the video recorded in the HDD is still available to watch.

But recording is limit to subscribe channels, may not affect those recorded.

Normal if it stated for only 1TB is that there is a limit for the Set-top box.

Well, you can try, but do note that some devices do have limit, unless otherwise stated.

Highlighted
Respected Advocate

@tourdefrance wrote:

Smart TV recording service will be available with a type-approved Digital Video Storage Device. Subscription to Smart TV service at $4.28/month is required.

You will be able to purchase external HDD models from selected StarHub shops. Please note that the external HDD used for recording will be paired to your subscription account, and recordings will not be lost when you swap boxes.

I am quite puzzled over the underlined words. Can anyone conifrm this? I thought when a HDD is connected to a new set top for the first time, it has to be formated?

I can only confirm for you that the above is true for non-fibre STB.

I had made one STB swap after switching from Hubstation to STB+Smart TV.  I was able to reconnect my external HDD to my swapped STB without any lose of recordings.  The new STB recognise the external HDD when I plugged it in. 

My guess is if you had set up the external HDD correctly for the SmartTV then it need not be set up again when you plugged it into a new STB. I dun think my HDD was format the first time when I set it up. The HDD comes pre-formatted IIRC.

There is an option in the menu to do a 'safe remove'. I suggest this be done when you unplugged your external HDD.

I guess if it works for the regular STB, then there is no reason for it not to work with fibre STB.

New Commentator

WD My Passport 1TB or 2TB works. I have the 2TB and can testify that it works. But the CS person confirmed that the firmware has been updated to work with the My Passport 1 or 2TB. Beware NOT the 4TB.

Set Top Box is Samsung GX-SH435SEH.

Honored Commentator

Hi Amoyanos,

Can I confirm you have gotten 2017 My Passport model WDBYFT0020 (this is not 'Ultra' btw) to work on your Samsung Fibre STB?

When and where did you buy? and how much?

On your set top box, how many free hours of recording does it indicate?  (I'm wondering if the set top box would format it for 1TB use or 2TB)

And why did you say not 4TB - was it because you have tried before and it didn't work?

There is also a 3TB for 2017.

thks!

Grand Guru

I think i can understand what Amoyanos meant.

That is if the firmware is updated to the latest, then there is possible it could works for HDD that is design for video recording with encryption.

The issue on up to 2TB is the way the format is handle.

For example if it is 2TB & below, the system read differently from those HDD more than 2TB in storage capacity.

This is a technical specification the way how HDD more than 2TB handle.

Just like in computer system, some users do required to set the BIOS to read HDD greater than 2TB.

If not, the standard BIOS (older version) will read up to 2TB in storage even if you attached 3TB or more.

Most WD as well as some other brands, did include encryption in their HDD(s).

The encryption is due to the shows copyrights issues as many Movies Producers Networks in the beginning are not happy the way Content Providers handle the distribution of shows.

In other words, it is like one copy for many viewers able to watch.

Anyway Content Providers and IPTV providers won the Court case in US some years ago, history.

This is what i had done a research on this issue, recently...