cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extenal HDD running continuously on Samsung set top box

Highlighted
Valued Commentator

Extenal HDD running continuously on Samsung set top box

I have the WD 1TB external drive connected to my Samsung HD Interactive set top box to use Smart TV.

However, the external drive runs non-stop even when the set top is on standby mode.

Is this normal? How long is the drive expected to last if it's running continuously?

29 REPLIES 29
Highlighted
Alumni (Retired)

Re: Extenal HDD running continuously on Samsung set top box

Hi TJ, could elaborate more? What are the indications that the hard drive is still running? Did you set any recording schedules? 

To clarify, if it is due to the hard drive giving off light, all hard drives will do so(if they are able to give off light) when connected to any device. Alternatively, you may actually disconnect it at any time, which is the beauty of a portable hard drive.

========================================
Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub

Has someone helped you?
Say thanks by liking the post.

Has your post been solved?
Let others know by marking the post using the "Accept as Solution" button.

Home is where the ♥ is

Highlighted
Valued Commentator

The led light is blinking and i can feel the hard disk spinning even when there is no recording going on.

Shouldn't the hard drive spin down and go into power save mode when the set top box is in standby mode?

Does Samsung have a customer support email I can write to?

Regards

TJ

Highlighted
Esteemed Commentator

I having the same issue. The HDD is spinning for 2 days non stop. No recording going and set top on standby, the HDD is non stop spin. This is not normal. The HDD is getting hot. I brought the HDD new for the set top. Please advice. Thank you
Highlighted
Android™ Expert

The Ext HDD is suppose to spin, as long as power is supplied to it. You can try plugging it into your PC. It spins without you even accessing the files in the hard disk.

Please read page 45 Thank you

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705063.pdf

@IncTEh wrote:
The Ext HDD is suppose to spin, as long as power is supplied to it. You can try plugging it into your PC. It spins without you even accessing the files in the hard disk.

Highlighted
Android™ Expert

@VTan wrote:

Please read page 45 Thank you

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705063.pdf

@IncTEh wrote:

I am sure you have noticed that it is a Windows Program. Your set-top box is not a PC, and there is no way for you to install the program to activate the Sleep Timer. It is same as using the Ext HDD without installing the ultility program to activate the sleep timer.

Thank you for replying and pointing out. That's why I am posting here and hope Starhub will do something so the set top will do this function. If it's Samsung issue, then Starhub need to talk to them. If it's a PC or Mac, I will try to do it. Thank you so much for replying.
Everyone's Tags (1)
Highlighted
Hub Master

@VTan good suggestion.

Would you like to share it on our Idea Exchange? http://bit.ly/SHCIDX

Let's see if other like this idea as well. Maybe we can explore this if it can garner enough support.
========================================
Home is where the ♥ is
Highlighted
Esteemed Commentator

I've submitted it as an idea, hopefully, Starhub and Samsung will take note of it and update the firmware. Even in standby and not in use for recording any stored schedules, the external HDD constantly spinning 24/7 is going to kill my HDD soon as well.
Everyone's Tags (1)