GreenR Community|The Community Run by You
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End of analogue TV affect Starhub non-fibre TV?

Senior Commentator

End of analogue TV affect Starhub non-fibre TV?

I was told by a sales call from you that it'll be affected and I need to change to fibre TV.

Is it true? Can I continue to use my set top box that connects via the coaxial cable or it'll be stop working end 2018?

32 REPLIES 32
Alumni (Retired)

Re: End of analogue TV affect Starhub non-fibre TV?

Hi alamakie

Can I check which set top box are you using currently?

Senior Commentator

Hubstation and Samsung.

Respected Advocate

@alamakie wrote:

I was told by a sales call from you that it'll be affected and I need to change to fibre TV.

Is it true? Can I continue to use my set top box that connects via the coaxial cable or it'll be stop working end 2018?

Cheap ploy by SH sales team to get people to switch over to Fibre? 

Frankly, it's a little unethical if you ask me.

As far as I know, you do not need to switch to Fibre. Your cable TV that you are using is already digital. You are getting Mediacorps channels (so-called Free-to-Air channels) through cable. So you will be unaffected by the end of analogue TV.

However, SH does indeed plans to phase out cable TV (which you are receiving through the coaxial cable) in 2020. When that happens, you will either need to #1 switch to FibreTV; #2 switch to RED or #3 switch off from both.

PS. I dun understand why SH CM need to know which Set top box that you are using. Which was pretty self-evident anyway when you mention 'coaxial cable'

Grand Guru

@alamakie wrote:

Please refer to Starhub website regarding to this matter > Free-to-air FAQ

If you are watching Free-to-air channels using StarHub TV set-top boxes, 
you are already on Digital TV.

All StarHub TV customers are already on Digital TV. You will not be affected by 
the cessation of the Analogue platform.

i am not starhub staff.

New Commentator

I just got the same message about the need to switch to FibreTV by end of 2018 when I visited SH counter @ VivoCity. That's why I came to this site to check if it is true/legit.

The ethical level as a telco provider using this method to spread wrong information (in terms of timeline and actionable item for an existing customer) is questionable. If it is something so drastic (I think it is very drastic!) to a customer wouldn't SH inform us formally via a snail mail?

In the first place, u cannot have SH tv if you're not on SH fibre. Plus, not everyone likes to use SH fibre (#fact). This is not address: How an existing customer continue using SH tv without SH fibre?

Respected Advocate

Quite frankly, I'm amazed that Starhub is getting away with the whole 'must subscribe to SH Fibre to subscribe to SH Fibre TV' angle.

Surely that is against the spirit of free competition and something that the CCCS should be looking into.

I am guessing that either #1 no one has complained to CCCS; or #2 you still have a choice right now not to subscribe to SH Fibre + SH Fibre TV and just continue with cable.

When Cable TV ends, it would be interesting to see if CCCS step in and break up this 'must subscribe to SH Fibre' nonsense.
Highlighted
Senior Commentator

Err... Can I have an official word from SH? 

Alumni (Retired)

Good morning everyone. I can see why everyone is worried and I'd like to clarify about a few things shared in this thread so far.

Yes, we are indeed working to cease cable services (including TV and broadband) soon. As of end Jun 2018, we have stopped all sign ups for Cable TV (CTV) services and only Fibre TV services are available for sign up / re-contract and must be supported with Fibre broadband services.

Rest assured that existing customers who wish to stay on CTV services can continue to do so for now until we provide updates to all affected customers closer to the final cessation date. 

As a CTV subscriber, you can indeed choose to retain your TV services on cable if you so choose for now as the cable network is still open. 

Let me know anytime if you've any further queries. 

- Amy
Honored Contributor

if my cable tv plan end and not able to continue and die die must change to fibre tv with YOUR FIBRE plan, i will say bye bye to SH.

What is the logic you ask your exiting customer to switch fibre tv with additional cost?

The cost should be remain the same rather than TOP UP more than $10!

Or i should say, the reason for ''must'' to tap on SH fibre because, you want to had ''remote control'' over your own network to the set-top box?