cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wechat Data Plan Problem

Highlighted
Esteemed Commentator

Wechat Data Plan Problem

Today I activated WeChat Data plan ($6 for monthly subscription) in my happy prepaid mobile phone. However, my main wallet balance ($17) was finished just within 2 minutes after that. After contacting StarHub prepaid hotline and visiting IMM and VIVOCity customer care center, I learned from the customer care agents that I need to buy separate data plan (such as $2 for 30MB, $4 for 200 etc.) to use WeChat data plan; otherwise, my WeChat will use my GPRS data at $0.07/10KB. When I asked the customer care agents to show me the clause in the terms and conditions (see http://www.starhub.com/about-us/legal-notices-and-terms/terms-and-conditions/consumer/wechat-plans-t... . Also check http://www.starhub.com/wechatplans for activation instructions) that states about additional data plan to use WeChat data plan, they failed. Therefore, they refunded my $17 main wallet balance and $6 dollar WeChat subscription fee. However, my GPRS and WeChat Subscription was also deactivated.

Even though I am happy that I am refunded, my question is, what is the truth of WeChat Data plan? How to activate and use it without wasting my GPRS data? Were the three customer care agents correct that additional data plan (such as $2 for 30MB, $4 for 400MB etc.) is necessary to buy to use WeChat data plan? If they were correct, then here comes few more questions:

a) why the terms and conditions don't mention it?

b) If I buy additional data plan, then why do I need to subscribe for WeChat monthly plan? Isn't that data plan giving me discounted data rate anyway?

c) Moreover, what is the point to subscribe for WeChat monthly plan if my data plan is already limited by 30MB, 200MB, etc.? With a limited data plan, I can never use the WeChat for the entire month if the data is over.   

So, what the customer care agents told me doesn't add up logically. Please let me know the actual terms and conditions.

6 REPLIES
Esteemed Commentator

Re: Wechat Data Plan Problem

I have the same problem, i bought the wechat data plan , i know the data plan does not include the photo , but when I open wechat,  even if i did not click any photo posted by my friends, there are still extra data fee deleted through my main account. 

The only solution to this for me is to buy a new data plan . there means my 6$ wechat plan is redundant. 

I dont have the energy to go counter and fight for that. Waste my time and transport fee. If starhub has no person to take care about this issue. I have to say F***.

Community Manager

Hi @ Shihab and @ LuohaowenTom,

This certainly should not be the case. Please PM us your NRIC/FIN numbers and Prepaid numbers and we will check on this. 

- Amy

- Amy
Valued Commentator

Having the same issue after paying for 30-day wechat plan yesterday,  was charged for the data usage at $0.07/10kb

Starhub should be upfront if a data plan is required in order to use the wechat plan. 

Wrote to customer support yesterday,  pending the reply. 

Community Manager

Hi @ csh3521,

Thanks for sharing this with us.

PM me your NRIC/FIN number and Prepaid number and we'll check on this. 

- Amy
Valued Commentator

@Amy_Law Sent

Esteemed Commentator

sent@Amy