cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to detect China Mobile for data roaming on partner network

Highlighted
Senior Commentator

Unable to detect China Mobile for data roaming on partner network

i activated happy roam before i left for china and now that i am here, i found that i am unable to detect china mobile 3g network on my mobile wifi.  it only shows cmcc (2) and unicom (both 2g and 3g).  it works when i put the sim into my iphone but unable to hotspot (errro asks me to contact starhub).

i doubt it is my mobile wifi compatibility issue with china mobile 3g because i have used this unit for the last 3 years on my travels and never had any issue detecting 3g networks.

then again, why does it work on iphone but cannot hotspot?  the only common parameter is the way the sim card is used, i.e. it cannot be a wife hotspot.  but it works 2 weeks ago in msia in my mobile wifi as hotspot.

starhub?

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Alumni (Retired)

Re: Unable to detect China Mobile for data roaming on partner network

Hi, can I check if you've done all the steps at http://bit.ly/2ym6ak7 and have at least $3 in your main balance?

- Sal
Highlighted
Senior Commentator

Yes, I have done the instructions and balance is $20.

My Huawei mobile wifi shows only 3 selections; cmcc 2g, unicom 2g, unicom 3g.

Highlighted
Alumni (Retired)

Do restart your handset or place your SIM Card in another handset to see if this helps solve the issue. If it doesn't, send me your full name, NRIC/FIN/Passport number and your Prepaid Number via Private Message and I'll be in touch.

- Amy
Highlighted
Senior Commentator

Googled and found this https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203982

Should StarHub check with their preferred partner China Mobile on what the footer #2 says "Might include an additional fee or requirement. Contact carrier for more information."

Perhaps China Mobile has changed their policy and StarHub is in the dark over this?
Highlighted
Trusted Commentator

I think you need to use 4G instead of 3G. I do not have any issue with roaming last week while in Xi'An, China.
Highlighted
Senior Commentator

Did you get a resolution from Starhub on the issue? 

Highlighted
Alumni (Retired)

Hi cromer

Can I check if your wife is still experiencing any issues while roaming with our prepaid cards?

Highlighted
Senior Commentator

Hi Priya, 

Thank you for the follow-up! 

For Shanghai still occasionally does. Smiley Sad

- Associating to a partner network does not happen automatically. The network has to be manually selected. China Mobile turns out to be CMCC after inquiring here in forums and also defined in one starhub support page but one has to dig deep. So, CMCC has to be manually selected. It becomes a risk for the user since its a manual choice. Hopefully, this is refined continuously since the documentation (including website) and User Experience needs a bit more polishing. 

- Even connected, data does not work all the time. Dead spots even outside buildings (Bund area). Probably an issue outside of Starhubs control.

Carlo

Highlighted
Senior Commentator

u mean instead of seeing "CHINA MOBILE/中国移动" i need to manually search for CMCC instead?

appreciate your help, i am not seeing any 3g/4g while im on "中国移动" data still not working