cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Happy Roam Guide

Alumni (Retired)

The Happy Roam Guide

Happy Roam.PNG

Worried about expensive data usage when travelling?

Surf worry-free with Happy Roam in, Australia, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia, Taiwan and Thailand.

How to get started guide.

10608232_10153987340207472_6108363797327969624_o.jpg

Whats more?

Win Air Asia Flights by simply buying a NEW StarHub Prepaid SIM Card. More details can be found below.

Prepaid_HappyRoamContest_Eng.png

Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub.

If my post answers your question, please click on the "Accept as Solution" button!

45 REPLIES 45
New Commentator

Re: The Happy Roam Guide

for roaming in malaysia, would the speed be 4G/LTE as well? if i get the $8 prepaid with $10 value, can I activate the data pack immediately? Any min value I have to maintain after the deduction of the data pack?
Alumni (Retired)

Hi @jjljj

As long the Malaysian Network operator support the speed of 4G/LTE you will be able to use with your Happy Roam Service.

However there is an additional steps, where you need to activate your 4G Speed booster before traveling to Malaysia, by following the below steps.

Step 1: Dial *123*3#
Step 2: Select 4 for 4G Booster
Step 3: Select 1 to activate 30-day 4G Booster
Step 4: A confirmation SMS will be sent to you

Or, simply dial *123*3*4*1# and follow the on-screen instructions.

You can activate Happy Roam with your $8 Prepaid SIM.

The steps to activate Happy Roam is here!

Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub.

If my post answers your question, please click on the "Accept as Solution" button!

New Commentator

How can I enable Hotspot? It says to call 1633 but I could not get through from overseas. I am using Happy Roam on iPhone.
Hub Master

Enabling of hotspot is done on the phone. Different phones have different steps to enable hotspot/tethering.
========================================
Home is where the ♥ is
Senior Commentator

I bought a Happy Roam Prepaid Card on 12 Jun 2016 (Sun), planning to use it for data roaming in Batam Indonesia. I activated the data roaming plan on 15 Jun, the morning before I left for Batam, following the instruction stated on the website. I thought that I would be able to surf the moment I landed in Batam. I was totally wrong. I was not able to connect and it kept displaying that I have a network issue. Thinking that it was my fault, I dialled the number on the booklet that come with the preapid card, double check my setting again and again but could not get the issue resolved. Later in the day, I tried to use the phone to make a local call and received a voice message telling me that I am not able to make any calls. I tried dialing starhub customer service number but was not able to get the call connected. I thought it was my phone and changed phone phone but the issue persisted. When I was back to the hotel, I tried to call the customer service using another line.

The call started well with the customer service understaing the issue I am facing and I was tranferred to the mobile department. I was put on hold for around 5 mins before the call was picked up again. I was told to repeat the story again and put on hold while they find a solution for me. The wait was about 10 mins and somebody picked up the call. I repeated myself the third time only to realise that I was back in the general enquiry department again. I waited for another 10 mins before somebody in the mobile department picked up. I was totall frustrated by the customer service insensitivity for making me wait on the line after telling them that I called from oversea. The customer service staff told me that they are not able to resolve the issue and will get back to me with 24 hours. I told them that I would be back to Singapore by then but the customer service rep (Farizah) doesn't seem to care. She told me that if the customer service is to call me back when I am in Batam, I would be charged ID rates (for trying to resolve a problem related to their service. When I asked to speak to the manager, I was told the same thing and that's what they can do. The manger told me that he will call me back when I am back in Singapore on 17 Jun but nothing happened.

I decided to call one more time to ask for a refund for my new prepaid card since I was not able to roam with it (which was my primary purpose for buying the card). The customer service manager Prem told me that they are not able to do the refund in cash but can do a refund to my other Starhub services. I have none and was told that therefore, I cannot get a refund. I am totally frustrated and decided to share my experience here so that others will not get cheated.

Highlighted
Valued Advocate

@anybodykhoo

Thanks for sharing the "couldn't care less" attitude you experienced with Starhub's SUB-standard customer service agents ... Guess you're not the odd one!

Starhub used to provide excellent service when I first started using their Prepaid & Postpaid mobile back in year 2000... But as the customers base grew over the years, service level went down in opposite direction!

I'm suspecting that
 -They employed too many interns or part-timers and NOT giving them enough training in term of Product Knowledge and Customer Care ....especially those at 9850 0000 & customerservice@starhub.com

- or, the agents to customers ratio is unbalanced, such that the agents have to met some harsh KPI eg. resolve call in 10min or less?

Of course, there are still GOOD customer agents around but very very rare Smiley Sad

Please prove me wrong just like how my view of this community forum was changed somewhat after Santosh Rai took over !

anybodykhoo wrote:

I bought a Happy Roam Prepaid Card on 12 Jun 2016 (Sun), planning to use it for data roaming in Batam Indonesia. I activated the data roaming plan on 15 Jun, the morning before I left for Batam, following the instruction stated on the website. I thought that I would be able to surf the moment I landed in Batam. I was totally wrong. I was not able to connect and it kept displaying that I have a network issue. Thinking that it was my fault, I dialled the number on the booklet that come with the preapid card, double check my setting again and again but could not get the issue resolved. Later in the day, I tried to use the phone to make a local call and received a voice message telling me that I am not able to make any calls. I tried dialing starhub customer service number but was not able to get the call connected. I thought it was my phone and changed phone phone but the issue persisted. When I was back to the hotel, I tried to call the customer service using another line.

The call started well with the customer service understaing the issue I am facing and I was tranferred to the mobile department. I was put on hold for around 5 mins before the call was picked up again. I was told to repeat the story again and put on hold while they find a solution for me. The wait was about 10 mins and somebody picked up the call. I repeated myself the third time only to realise that I was back in the general enquiry department again. I waited for another 10 mins before somebody in the mobile department picked up. I was totall frustrated by the customer service insensitivity for making me wait on the line after telling them that I called from oversea. The customer service staff told me that they are not able to resolve the issue and will get back to me with 24 hours. I told them that I would be back to Singapore by then but the customer service rep (Farizah) doesn't seem to care. She told me that if the customer service is to call me back when I am in Batam, I would be charged ID rates (for trying to resolve a problem related to their service. When I asked to speak to the manager, I was told the same thing and that's what they can do. The manger told me that he will call me back when I am back in Singapore on 17 Jun but nothing happened.

I decided to call one more time to ask for a refund for my new prepaid card since I was not able to roam with it (which was my primary purpose for buying the card). The customer service manager Prem told me that they are not able to do the refund in cash but can do a refund to my other Starhub services. I have none and was told that therefore, I cannot get a refund. I am totally frustrated and decided to share my experience here so that others will not get cheated.

-----------------------------------------
I am not Starhub staff, neither am I related to her competitors...
I'm simply kay-poh :-J
Alumni (Retired)

Hello @anybodykhoo,

I have responded to your other post here!

Thank you

Esteemed Commentator

Hi i  unable to enable hotspot on my iphone 6. Using happy roam. It ask me to call 1633 for assistance instead. Kindly advice.

Thanks.

Administrator

Hi @Cows, just to clarify, where are you facing issues at and are you able to get data connection and surf on your prepaid card?