Did you mean: 

Replacement for 3G sim card.

SOLVED
Highlighted
Rah
Esteemed Contributor

Replacement for 3G sim card.

Hi,

I have a 3G prepaid SIM card and wish to upgrade to use 4G.

I supposed I need to change my sim card to enjoy 4G.

I would like to know where I can do the upgrade of SIM card.

I guess I will need to pay replacement fee of $26.75 right?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rah
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Re: Replacement for 3G sim card.

Took a little time off and settled the issue in the shop. Effort and EQ needed to deal with CSO is zero. I finally got 4G even without switching on data.Screenshot_2017-04-10-15-47-38-481_com.android.phone.png

22 REPLIES
Grand Master

Hi  @Rah

I don't think you need to swap the SIM card.

The control is in Starhub system.

Unless you are using 2G SIM card.

Maybe if you wish to write to forum staff about this matter.

Please submit and provide with the following information;

Registered subscriber name, NRIC/FIN number, Mobile number, and any other details;

PM @Jolene_L  or  Santosh Rai  to assist and look into your case on this matter

How to send a PM (Private Message) on StarHub Community?

--------------------------------------

I am not Starhub staff &or related to.

Community Manager

Hi @Rah, @eric3743 is right.

If you are already able to use 3G services on your current SIM Card, you do not need to upgrade your SIM Card to start using 4G services.

To enjoy 4G speed, a 4G supported handset is required and 4G Booster needs to be activated by dialing *123*3*4#.

Let us know your NRIC and Prepaid mobile number via PM if you require further assistance. - Amy

- Amy
Rah
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Amy_Law and @eric3743,

Thank you for your assistance.

I have double-checked my SIM card and there isn't any "3G" wording stated on the SIM card but I can indeed use 3G on it.

Anyway, the SIM card is in regular size, if I were to change to a new tri-SIM card for ease of future phone use. Will I have to pay a $26.75 fee? Considering this isn't a lost and replacement.(P.S just singaporean kiasu mentality Smiley Very Happy)

Community Manager

Hi @Rah, yes, if you change it to a TriSIM, there will be a replacement SIM Card charge of $26.75 payable. - Amy

- Amy
Grand Master

Hi  @Rah

For the word  3G SIM card  some phone will not indicate.

As from 2017 all 2G SIM card will not be valid.

So as for 4G SIM card, it is confirm as 4G.

No mentioned on 3G wording, as there is no necessary.

If you are not need to down size your prepaid sim card, then wait for the time you really need.

After all, if you get it now, and lost the sim card, you still will have to pay for it.

But if you really want to pay, then i suggest you to go forward much faster.

That is to take  NFC SIM card, as in future, this will be common.

Because if you have a regular tri-sim and when you need a NFC sim card, you still have to pay for NFC SIM card.

Hence, as 'kiasu', then go all the way to get NFC sim card, irregularless you mobile handset may or may not have valid NFC SIM card option.

------------------------------------

I am not Starhub staff &or related to.

Rah
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for your recommendation but I think I will skip the NFC SIM card as the contactless card payment serve me great currently and I wouldn't need to be bothered of the balance in NFC SIM card.

An NFC phone will do the purpose great although it will cost much more than the NFC SIM.

Maybe a SIM cutting service would be the cheapest and unorthodox approach to my case. If it goes awry then I'll have to buy the replacement.

Rah
Esteemed Contributor

After numerous useless exchange on facebook where the admin on facebook will only refer your problem to relevant department, NOT solving the problem. The first CSO called me and asked if I have activated the 4G booster which ended last dec. At this point I gave up on them.
Then I went down to the starhub shop in westgate a while ago.
The receptionist,upon enquiring from the CSO, told me i have to buy a new SIM card at $26.75 to enjoy 4G.
This is a ridiculous lapse of information from the website to facebook admin/relevant department CSO and this forum's community manager(which I believe is the same facebook admin)

No way am I going to pay $26.75 for the SIM card. Porting over to other provider is a wiser choice, for anyone not having the new 4G capable SIM card.

Community Manager

Hi @ Rah,

Thanks for sharing this.

From your post, it seems that you're experiencing issues using 4G services on your Prepaid SIM Card. To confirm, have you activated a data plan for your Prepaid SIM?

Do PM me with your NRIC and Prepaid numbers and I'll check on this. 

- Amy
Grand Master

@Rah

I do agree with you on this 3G and 4G for prepaid SIM card.

The simple answer is it will not turn On to 4G unless you buy a data plan.

I had several enquiring on this 4G on 3G prepaid SIM card.

A cutomer-service staff said that i need to BUY a Data Plan in order to have 4G.

Another from Prepaid Hotline CS said will turn on the 4G but it do not.

I did a test to buy a Data Plan.

Surprise, the signal is on 4G.

After the data plan expire, it revert back to 3G.

The 4G booster was removed from the Happy Prepaid app, as unable to use this 4G.

Only if you BUY a NEW SIM Card, then it may be able to use 4G.

Ridiculous.

I GIVE UP !!!