Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting Singtel prepaid to existing starhub postpaid contract

SOLVED
Highlighted
Eqk
Esteemed Commentator

Porting Singtel prepaid to existing starhub postpaid contract

Hi, I've just gotten a Singtel prepaid card and intending to port it over to starhub. But my starhub contract is not expired yet. I understand that I can go to starhub customer service counter to port the Singtel prepaid to starhub prepaid, then port it to starhub post paid. But I would like to know, 

1) if there are additional incurring charges every month till my contract expires?

2) will my new Singtel ported number be able to replace my existing starhub number without breaching the existing contract? 

I don't want to have two lines under starhub and hoping the Singtel number can replace my existing starhub number. 

Thabk you all bery very much for chiming in! 

Eqk

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager
Solution

Re: Porting Singtel prepaid to existing starhub postpaid contract

Hi @ Eqk

When you're porting a number, you're essentially requesting for a change of number.

So don't worry, the ported SingTel number will replace your StarHub postpaid number safely. You will need to port your SingTel/M1 prepaid mobile line to a StarHub Prepaid Mobile first before porting over to StarHub Postpaid Mobile Line.

The cost will be the SIM Card charges for the StarHub Prepaid Card.

- Amy
Grand Master
Solution

Your issue lies in Prepaid and Postpaid is not the same.

Do read more on point 1 on this link;

>> Full Number Portability

Text in full: --- quote ---

"Full Mobile Number Portability is an enhanced mobile number portability solution that will allow you to retain full use of your existing phone number, even when you switch service providers. As such, you will not have to go through the hassle of updating all your contacts on a new number from your new service provider.

Prepaid and postpaid mobile subscribers can make use of this solution to retain their original phone numbers. However, the service is only applicable for prepaid to prepaid and postpaid to postpaid mobile subscribers only."

---- unquoted ---

But there is another way to resolve this issue.

There is a possible you may have to convert Prepaid to Postpaid at the same Telco first.

For Postpaid, you may have to take the SIM-only plan which allow you to terminate as no contract.

For most other Telco(s), there is this commitment of 1 month, except Starhub.

Hence you have Telco-1 Postpaid SIM-only plan.

Then you can do port Telco-1 Postpaid to Telco-2 Postpaid and Change of Number at the same time.

I had done this method before using Telco-1 SIM-only plan.

As other Telco(s) do have commitment of at least 1 month for SIM-only plan, this may be the issue.

I did a port from Telco-1 (M1) to Starhub Postpaid number and include as Change of Number to an existing Starhub Postpaid number.

In 1st case, i had done it within 1 month so had to pay $50 to M1 for terminate within 1 month.

As for 2nd case, there is no issue as it was done after 1 month sign-up to (M1) SIM-only plan.

So, the only solution for you is to convert Prepaid to Postpaid SIM-only plan.

After 1 month then you can port to Starub Postpaid & Change of Number at the same time.

At the same time you can have "Change of Number" which Starhub charge $32.10 incl gst.

Additional of New SIM card is chargeable at $37.45 incl gst, as it applies due to not able to use original SIM card.

This do work as i had done it before twice.

Regards.

Grand Master
Solution

Both postpaid lines are still on active contract.

Do note that Change of Number can be done even if the line is on contract.

Whether it is porting or new number, it do not matter.

Hope this clarify you better.

Should you require further understanding, please do post and will assist you if able to.

Regards.

8 REPLIES
Community Manager
Solution

Hi @ Eqk

When you're porting a number, you're essentially requesting for a change of number.

So don't worry, the ported SingTel number will replace your StarHub postpaid number safely. You will need to port your SingTel/M1 prepaid mobile line to a StarHub Prepaid Mobile first before porting over to StarHub Postpaid Mobile Line.

The cost will be the SIM Card charges for the StarHub Prepaid Card.

- Amy
Eqk
Esteemed Commentator

Thanks Amy!
Eqk
Esteemed Commentator

Hello all, for the benefit of everyone here is the response from Starhub.

My question: "Hi starhub, I've just gotten a Singtel prepaid card and intending to port it over to starhub. But my starhub contract is not expired yet. I understand that I can go to starhub customer service counter to port the Singtel prepaid to starhub prepaid, then port it to starhub post paid. But I would like to know,

1) if there are additional incurring charges every month till my contract expires?

2) will my new Singtel ported number be able to replace my existing starhub number without breaching the existing contract?

3) what are the charges involved?

4) can I get it done in a single visit to starhub customer care centre?

I don't want to have two lines under starhub and hoping the Singtel number can replace my existing starhub number.

Thanks in advance for clarifying."

Starhub' answer: Hi, we wish to share that it is not possible to replace your current StarHub postpaid mobile number with your Singtel prepaid number. The only possibility would be that you port in your Singtel prepaid to StarHub prepaid, then to postpaid in order to secure your Singtel mobile number.

However, in this case, you will have 2 StarHub postpaid number. If you only wish to have 1 StarHub number, there will be Early Termination Charges if your terminate your current StarHub postpaid number ******** as it is still under contract. -Desmond

Hope it helps whoever is in the same situation. 

*P.S - do take the information from SH CSC with a pinch of salt. It may not necessarily be 100% accurate.

Grand Master
Solution

Your issue lies in Prepaid and Postpaid is not the same.

Do read more on point 1 on this link;

>> Full Number Portability

Text in full: --- quote ---

"Full Mobile Number Portability is an enhanced mobile number portability solution that will allow you to retain full use of your existing phone number, even when you switch service providers. As such, you will not have to go through the hassle of updating all your contacts on a new number from your new service provider.

Prepaid and postpaid mobile subscribers can make use of this solution to retain their original phone numbers. However, the service is only applicable for prepaid to prepaid and postpaid to postpaid mobile subscribers only."

---- unquoted ---

But there is another way to resolve this issue.

There is a possible you may have to convert Prepaid to Postpaid at the same Telco first.

For Postpaid, you may have to take the SIM-only plan which allow you to terminate as no contract.

For most other Telco(s), there is this commitment of 1 month, except Starhub.

Hence you have Telco-1 Postpaid SIM-only plan.

Then you can do port Telco-1 Postpaid to Telco-2 Postpaid and Change of Number at the same time.

I had done this method before using Telco-1 SIM-only plan.

As other Telco(s) do have commitment of at least 1 month for SIM-only plan, this may be the issue.

I did a port from Telco-1 (M1) to Starhub Postpaid number and include as Change of Number to an existing Starhub Postpaid number.

In 1st case, i had done it within 1 month so had to pay $50 to M1 for terminate within 1 month.

As for 2nd case, there is no issue as it was done after 1 month sign-up to (M1) SIM-only plan.

So, the only solution for you is to convert Prepaid to Postpaid SIM-only plan.

After 1 month then you can port to Starub Postpaid & Change of Number at the same time.

At the same time you can have "Change of Number" which Starhub charge $32.10 incl gst.

Additional of New SIM card is chargeable at $37.45 incl gst, as it applies due to not able to use original SIM card.

This do work as i had done it before twice.

Regards.

Eqk
Esteemed Commentator

Thank you very much! This is great to know, all the information I got from SH CSC are different and is confusing. I'll try your method with Singtel and starhub. Many thanks again!
Eqk
Esteemed Commentator

Just to clarify Eric, when you were porting the M1 number to Starhub your starhub is still under contract? Or your contract with starhub finished?
Grand Master
Solution

Both postpaid lines are still on active contract.

Do note that Change of Number can be done even if the line is on contract.

Whether it is porting or new number, it do not matter.

Hope this clarify you better.

Should you require further understanding, please do post and will assist you if able to.

Regards.

Eqk
Esteemed Commentator

Thank you so much Eric for clarifying... have a great holiday!