GreenR Community|The Community Run by You
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[HappyRoam] Minimum Balance to Roam

Valued Commentator

[HappyRoam] Minimum Balance to Roam

I just got the shock of my life when I read that I need a minimum balance of S$8 in the main wallet to roam? Even if I have data package activated and data remaining?

Could someone please confirm this?

9 REPLIES 9
Valued Commentator

Re: [HappyRoam] Minimum Balance to Roam

Just in case I miss something again, just to double confirm too - 

Are the data plans stackable?

Can I purchase 2 * 1GB/3Day, for example, consecutively, to get 2GB / 6 Days? 

Grand Guru

Yes, there is a need to have at least $8 balance in the Main wallet to have roaming services.

If you intend to activate more data plans, suggest you to have more $$ balance.

That is to say, once it fall below $8 limit, the roaming services will be de-activated and will not have any mobile signal; including unable to use the mobile data.

Also to take into account on using outgoing calls & sms, which may deduct from the Main wallet.

There is no need to do add multiply data plans, as you can do it anytime.

The important point is ensure the  Happy Prepaid app  is install in your Prepaid SIM card phone.

With this Happy Prepaid app on the prepaid mobile phone, you can manage your prepaid account, as everything is available in the app.

Refer to this link, Step 2 for:  >> Happy Roam Data Roaming

Before leaving, you need to activate the roaming service, buy data plan, APN, and any other setting as required &or necessary.

i am not starhub staff &or related to.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

hi Eric

Pls can you clarify if I already activated a Data Plan, and my main wallet balance falls below $8, can I still use the Data Plan while overseas ?  I understand from calling Starhub CS that the $8 minimum only affects roaming - which means Phone Calls & SMS, not affecting the Data Plan.

Perhaps you can help with the following scenarios

1) I started with $13 in my main wallet. I just 
activated a 3 day data plan for $5 & travelled overseas. However, my overseas trip is extended. On the 4th day overseas, can I activate another $5 data plan (when main wallet has $8 balance)?

2) I started with $10 in my 
main wallet. I just activated a 3 day data plan for $5 & travelled overseas. However, my overseas trip is extended. On the 4th day overseas, can I activate another $5 data plan when Main Wallet balance is $5?

3) I 
now have $7 in my main wallet. Can I activate a $5 data plan before I go overseas ?

4) I started with $17 in my main wallet. I just activated a 
30-day 1.2GB data plan for $10 & travelled overseas. While overseas, can I activate another $5 data plan (when Main Wallet balance is $7)?

Thanks

Grand Guru

There is a need to maintain at least $8.00 balance in the main wallet of the prepaid sim card at all time while overseas.

This is for using Roaming services while in oversea.

Roaming services include calls, sms, mobile data plan.

1) I started with $13 in my main wallet. I just activated a 3 day data plan for $5 & travelled overseas. However, my overseas trip is extended. On the 4th day overseas, can I activate another $5 data plan (when main wallet has $8 balance)?

Ans: With $13 in the main wallet, and buy a $5 data plan, the balance will be $8.00 ($13 -5)

This is okay, as long as you do not buy data plan OR make outgoing call OR outgoing sms.

But you cannot buy data plan and make calls &or sms; as this will fall below $8.00 and automatically there will not be any signal.

The minute you press to call OR sms, it will not be send/connect.

Reason: Main wallet less than $8.00

2) I started with $10 in my main wallet. I just activated a 3 day data plan for $5 & travelled overseas. However, my overseas trip is extended. On the 4th day overseas, can I activate another $5 data plan when Main Wallet balance is $5?

Ans:  Once you use the $10 to buy $5 data plan, you cannot use for roaming anymore.

That is to say when you reached oversea, you will not have any network signal.

Reason: Main Wallet is below $8.00

3) I now have $7 in my main wallet. Can I activate a $5 data plan before I go overseas ?

Ans: Even if you activate roaming, when reach oversea, there is no signal.

4) I started with $17 in my main wallet. I just activated a 30-day 1.2GB data plan for $10 & travelled overseas. While overseas, can I activate another $5 data plan (when Main Wallet balance is $7)?

Ans: After deducting $10 from the $17, the balance is $7.00

Once your reach oversea, there will have no signal.

Prepaid SIM wallet.

1.  Once you buy the Prepaid SIM card, the amount will be allocated to Main Wallet.

2.  For Top-up, refer to link:  >> Prepaid Top-up  to the Main Wallet to buy data plans, if nec.

For buying Data Plans, it use the Main Wallet to deduct from.

You can do Top-Up via online or Happy Prepaid app.

The link to online top-up is available in the Prepaid Top-up webpage.

Upon leaving Singapore, you need to ensure you have download the  Happy Prepaid app in the phone.

1.  This Happy Prepaid app is the only tool to use, that is to buy data plans & check balance.

2.  Just buy at least 1 Data Plan will do BEFORE leaving and ensure main wallet is more than $8.00

3.  Ensure you activate the Roaming service in the Happy Prepaid app.

Beside enable Roaming service, you need to enable mobile data.

Once you disable the roaming service and your main wallet is below $8.00 you cannot use the prepaid phone because the roaming service is being disable, even after you top-up.

You can to post here to request forum staff to assist you to activate the roaming service for you.

ADD:  Do all the setting in Singapore and switch off the phone before going inside the plan.

Upon reaching the destination, then switch on after leaving the plane.

That is to be in the Terminal to get the network signal, usually inside airport terminal signal should be ok.

4.  Should you suspect that your prepaid main wallet is below $8.00 you need to use another computer to access to network and visit the Starhub website to do the top-up.

For access to login to Happy Prepaid app, you can also use wireless.

Then the PIN to login to Happy Prepaid app will be send to the phone with Prepaid SIM card.

Incoming calls & sms are free, provided you have at least $8 in the main wallet which there is signal.

You can check your balance and buy additional data plan, provided if there is at least $8.00 balance in the main wallet AFTER deduct on the Data Plan price.

Should you encounter any problem while oversea, you can post here for the forum staff to assist you.

You can also contact the Prepaid Hotline  +65 9850 0000  from overseas

Honored Contributor

Eric

Thanks for your prompt reply.

If $8 is the minimum to keep for all services, the customer should not even be allowed to Activate any Data Plan if that causes the balance to fall below $8.
Eg) Main Wallet has $10 balance, then customer can only Activate a $2 plan but not a $5 plan with a warning that Wallet Balance is below minimum.

There is no point acitivating a plan, but yet cannot be used. I believe many are not aware of this.

I know feel forced to keep $8 balance which can never be utilised when overseas. This becomes a useless feature in a HappyRoam product.

Lastly, I dont understand why the Data Plan (which supposedly uses local data charges) be affected by inability to roam because of the minimum wallet.

So to use this $8, Starhub is making us spend it locally in Singapore ? This does not make sense because most buy this PrePaid to use overseas. How else can this $8 be used ? 

Hopefully Starhub can look into improving this product. Not sure who to escalate this matter to.

Rah
Esteemed Contributor

You CAN still use valid data overseas even main balance is below $8. I have personally done this in Malaysia.

Anyway, starhub CSO are jokes with mixed nonsensical replies, don't bother trying to feedback and hoping they'll do something.

You can talk to any higher management but they'll still get a minion to entertain you and "follow" up.

Valued Commentator

My friend and I (together we bought 4 SIM cards) encountered the same problem, only now (4/Oct/18) the minimum balance is $3.00. Making things worse is that $$ in main balance will just disappear for no reason while we didn't make any call at all !!! (another long persisting problem StarHub has no will and yet to be resolved!!)

Let me offer an analogy to StarHub for thoughts:

you bought a plate of fried rice for $20 and it's already fully paid for. Just after you took 2 bites, the stall owner took the plate away abruptly and tell you cannot continue because the stall has a self-made rule that says: because you have less than $3 in your wallet……, unless you top up you wallet.

"Shocking" news is: money in your wallet just took away by the owner without you knowing or any reason given, and there's no indication he'll stop doing so. The more you top-up, the more you lost!!!

These SELF-MADE rules are totally ABSURD and I feel like being robbed in day light!!!

StarHub is unreasonably and forcefully putting 2 TOTALLY UNRELATED self-made rules together and in the process making lots of profit.

I am writing this on 4/Oct/18 and before me many people have already brought up these problems to StarHub attention (way back in April or even earlier??), but the problems persists. I think unless government authority step in, StarHub has NO motivation to eliminate this UNFAIR and ABSURD pratice.

@sijie123 wrote:

I just got the shock of my life when I read that I need a minimum balance of S$8 in the main wallet to roam? Even if I have data package activated and data remaining?

Could someone please confirm this?

Valued Commentator

My friend and I (together we bought 4 SIM cards) encountered the same problem, only now (4/Oct/18) the minimum balance is $3.00. Making things worse is that $$ in main balance will just disappear for no reason while we didn't make any call at all !!! (another long persisting problem StarHub has no will and yet to be resolved!!)

Let me offer an analogy to the Community and especially StarHub for thoughts:

you bought a plate of fried rice for $20 and it's already fully paid for. Just after you took 2 bites, the stall owner took the plate away abruptly and tell you cannot continue because the stall has a self-made rule that says: because you have less than $3 in your wallet……, unless you top up you wallet.

"Shocking" news is: money in your wallet just took away by the owner without you knowing or any reason given, and there's no indication he'll stop doing so. The more you top-up, the more you lost!!!

These SELF-MADE rules are totally ABSURD and I feel like being robbed in day light!!!

StarHub is unreasonably and forcefully putting 2 TOTALLY UNRELATED self-made rules together and in the process making lots of profit.

I am writing this on 4/Oct/18 and before me many people have already brought up these problems to StarHub attention (way back in April or even earlier??), but the problems persists. I think unless government authority step in, StarHub has NO motivation to eliminate this UNFAIR and ABSURD pratice.

@eric3743 wrote:

Yes, there is a need to have at least $8 balance in the Main wallet to have roaming services.

If you intend to activate more data plans, suggest you to have more $$ balance.

That is to say, once it fall below $8 limit, the roaming services will be de-activated and will not have any mobile signal; including unable to use the mobile data.

Also to take into account on using outgoing calls & sms, which may deduct from the Main wallet.

There is no need to do add multiply data plans, as you can do it anytime.

The important point is ensure the  Happy Prepaid app  is install in your Prepaid SIM card phone.

With this Happy Prepaid app on the prepaid mobile phone, you can manage your prepaid account, as everything is available in the app.

Refer to this link, Step 2 for:  >> Happy Roam Data Roaming

Before leaving, you need to activate the roaming service, buy data plan, APN, and any other setting as required &or necessary.

Alumni (Retired)

Hi 888kings

I can completely understand how frustrating this must be that your credits have apparently been used without your knowledge.

Please provide us with your registered name and Prepaid Numbers for verification via our Facebook PM at http://m.me/starhub so we can assist you in checking on your Prepaid usage. 

- Amy