StarHub Community|The Community Run by You
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Happy Roam SIM on 3G or 4G/LTE in USA and Japan?

Highlighted
Honored Commentator

Happy Roam SIM on 3G or 4G/LTE in USA and Japan?

Hi

I'll be travelling to USA and Japan in July and am considering to purchase the Happy Sim to use the Data Roam feature.

I recalled back about a year ago, that when I use the Happy Roam feature in Malaysia it would only access 3G data and not 4G/LTE. 

Could you please confirm if the Happy Roam service provides 3G or up to 4G/LTE data connectivity?

Also, to which telco? Does it support AT&T in USA or does it only cover T-Mobile?

Again, this is because I'll be driving to mountainous areas where T-Mobile has limited coverage.

Does anyone else here have recent (2018) experience with using the product in USA & Japan?

It seems worrisome that there are quite a few posts saying that it's not usable.

No point to spend even $10 to "try" out if it's going to be a dud.

Thank you.

3 REPLIES
Community Manager

Re: Happy Roam SIM on 3G or 4G/LTE in USA and Japan?

Good day Kentwk, I'd say that the connection depends on the network you're tapped on to while in overseas. Head on here http://bit.ly/2CkuGYo to check our roaming partners. 

Honored Commentator

Hi Priya

Thanks for your reply.
I have scrutinised the website multiple times and I could not get any answer to my earlier query.

Could you please kindly direct me specifically to which page, which paragraph does it say which of your roaming partners are on 3G or 4G/LTE data?

I get it that we pay $X for XGB of data when we roam overseas. But what is simply not clear to consumers is if the speed of this data is on GPRS (2G) / 3G / EDGE / 4G / LTE.

If I am going to pay money for a 2G or maybe even 3G service, then I'd rather not purchase the product.

I wish to be informed of the product details, which I can't seem to find on your website, or perhaps I have missed that out.

Grateful if you can highlight the correct portions, pls.

Thank you.
Community Manager

As earlier mentioned, the speed of the data is dependent on the network you're tapped on to while you're in overseas. We won't be able to guarantee on the speed you get there.