Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting in Canada

SOLVED
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Connecting in Canada

Rogers.pngConnecting in Canada is still a problem.There are a few threads pointing to this.

I had previously been advised to not 'automatically choose preferred network' as the SIM has a tendency to connect to non-approved networks which will then incur additional roaming charges (this is the one of the major reasons why everyone posts about having their wallet emptied).

However, I've spent a few days on Vancouver Island and now back in Vancouver without being able to manually connect to Rogers, Starhub's Canadian partner. I have tried the 2G,3G and 4G variants (see screenshot on left).

1) I can connect to the networks, but no data can be uploaded/downloaded on all 3 variants. Someone else in my group is using Rogers successfully all the time so it is not because i can't get any signal.

2) it is not my phone settings - i have checked these and they are the same as they were when i sucessfully used the sim in Australia.

Please advise what steps people should take to be able to sucessfully connect in Canada without incurring data roaming charges on the happy prepaid sim.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Senior Contributor
Solution

Re: Connecting in Canada

Priya, Hanbali

With respect, isn't it better to post other suggested solutions so that hopefully you can pin the solutions to the top of the thread instead of trying to answer (sorry, copying and pasting the line about supplying full name, id, etc) the same question every day? This is not an isolated incident so there are many people affected.

3 REPLIES
Community Manager

Hi suti

In Canada Rogers Communications would be our preferred roaming partner for Prepaid. If restarting your handset does not help resolve the issue at all, do provide me with your full name, NRIC/FIN/Passport number, contact number and email address by clicking on this link> via Private Message so that I can assist you better.

Senior Contributor
Solution

Priya, Hanbali

With respect, isn't it better to post other suggested solutions so that hopefully you can pin the solutions to the top of the thread instead of trying to answer (sorry, copying and pasting the line about supplying full name, id, etc) the same question every day? This is not an isolated incident so there are many people affected.

Senior Contributor

As i suspected, the problem is with Starhub. My flight back to Singapore was via Hong Kong and manually connecting to 3 (Starhub's provider for Happy Roam) worked perfectly throughout the country.

Why doesn't Starhub just acknoweldge that it can't gaurantee access in Canada and strike it off the happy roam list? The company is setting itself up for class action and big fines from the regulators for misleading and deceptive conduct the longer it lets this continue.