cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sim only plan 4g 3

Trusted Commentator

sim only plan 4g 3

Hi,

I signed up for a sim only plan and got the new sim card today, but it's not active still. It's been 5 hours since I put it in the phone. Why is this happening? I called the customer care and was told that the sim has not been commissioned yet.

Please look into this, I was told earlier(yesterday when someone called to get my nric scanned copy) that the sim would be active immediately and would have a temporary number before the porting of my previous number was completed.

thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Grand Guru

Re: sim only plan 4g 3

Pls do refer to the link; for porting matters.

http://www.starhub.com/business/support/mobile/faq/full-number-portability.html

Do note on item 4.

4. How long will it take to activate the ported number?

It will take one working day (not inclusive of Saturdays, Sundays, eve of Chinese New Year, Christmas, New Year and Public Holidays) to activate the ported number. This means that you will be able to use your existing number on your new service provider's network by the next working day from when your porting request was submitted. However, this timeframe will be subject to approval from the original service providers and the volume of requests for the day.

I m not Starhub staff &or related to.

Trusted Commentator

Hi eric3743

Thanks for responding.

I know that porting will take some time, and that is not what I am complaining about. I got a new sim today morning, and it came with a temporary number which was also told to me earlier, and that I would be able to use the temporary number while the porting takes place.

the new sim has totally bricked my phone, there is no trace of a signal at all, it keeps searching for a network and dies out. it most certainly hasn't been activated and why starhub would send out a totally new fresh out of factory inaccessible sim with a temporary phone number I do not understand.

Grand Guru

Hi  @Mrinal

Refer to my previous post, on the underline statement.

Today you were provided a new SIM card.

If you use the previous SIM card, there will be 2 SMS.

As i had just done this port-in yesterday 25/2, i did received 2 sms from the previous Telco SIM card.

I received both sms within an hour after i had completed port-in.

1. Your number port request will be processed by your previous service provider on 25 Feb 16. You will be notified via SMS upon approval or rejection.

About 30 mins later,

2.  Your request is approved and your number will be ported into Telco (Starhub, in your case) tonight. There will be service discruption of up to 3 hours from 11pm  during the porting process.

The temporary new SIM card should be activated by tomorrow.

When the previous SIM card is de-activated, you may able to tell by looking at the signal bars.

The so-call temporary mobile number of the new SIM card may not be applicable on the day you recieved.

As stated in your 1st post  "sim has not been commissioned yet"

So, you may able to use tomorrow  27/2.

Trusted Commentator

Hi eric3743

thanks for your reply.

Again, I don't care for number porting at this point. I've been disconnected for 2 days now, and the sim does not show any signs of connectivity.

And when I call the hotline they say that it will take 2 days to be active. 

i cannot wrap my head around why starhub would send me a sim and a number that has not been commissioned; and why in the world would it take 2 working days to be connected.

would it be acceptable if you went to sign up for a new line, planted the sim and all, only to be told that it would take 2 working days before you can use your phone. it's absurd. 

Grand Guru

Hi  @Mrinal

You are unlucky as porting process do not work on non-working day, for both Telcos.

So yours may be completed next working day, most probably Monday.

Hence the new SIM card is still unavailable for use, as your existing one may still be available.

For more info, check;

http://community.starhub.com/t5/Mobile-Knowledge-Base/Porting-over-to-StarHub-Read-this/ta-p/124960

I am not Starhub staff &or related to.

My porting was completed, a day earlier than yours.