Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unauthorised Starhub GIRO - please assist

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Unauthorised Starhub GIRO - please assist

Dear Starhub team,

My wife received the following SMS from DBS Bank this morning:

"You've setup a GIRO / DDA arrangement for STARHUB LTD with bill ref no. ending with 6339 on 03 Jan 2020. If unauthorised, call +65 63272265"

She did not initiate any new GIRO arrangement with Starhub, as her mobile bill is being paid smoothly via GIRO since 2013. 

We have informed both DBS bank and Starhub 1633 customer service about the matter.

Why did this happen and what else can we do to protect ourselves?

Kindly advise. 

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: Unauthorised Starhub GIRO - please assist

Hi @deeps, StarHub takes security very seriously. We observe very strict industry-standard security measures to ensure that the customer’s information is protected at all times. Please be assured that customers' information will not be disclosed to unauthorized parties. 

Additionally, unauthorized transactions result from card theft - either from a stolen credit/debit card or a compromised credit/debit card number. These unauthorized charges might be due to clerical error or computer glitch. Either way, it’s your responsibility to find and report these charges/transactions as quickly as possible to minimize your liability for charges you didn't make. 

~ Carla
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Hi Carla,

As I mentioned, we have reported the suspected unauthorised GIRO transaction to both DBS bank and Starhub customer service on the same morning the bank SMS was received. 

Should I also lodge a Police report about this matter? Please advise.

Thanks!

Highlighted

Hi @deeps, if you suspect that your personal information has been compromised/disclosed, you may wish to seek help from the police. The police will approach StarHub when there is a need to, and the relevant team from StarHub will assist with the investigations.

~ Carla
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Hi Carla,

I find it bizzare that the GIRO setup was approved because from what I am aware, the bank has to match the signature on the Starhub GIRO form with the specimen signature of the customer in the bank's account records. If there is a mismatch, the GIRO form will be rejected. 

Thank you.

Highlighted
Valued Advocate

Chances are when your wife made a payment online or whatsoever, she may have accidentally opt for "make it recurring" kind of related options. Nowadays everything is Electronic. I'm not very sure if Giro still needs a form.Because I occassionally will blurly tick all the way down thinking that i's asking me to accept terms and conditions (that i dont read) and submit..

It happens! so if this happens, login to DBS and terminate the giro on DBS side, money wont be deducted. no worries on that.