Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starhub Overcharging

SOLVED
Highlighted
Senior Commentator

Starhub Overcharging

I have 2 mobile phone lines and 1 was used by my son. He doesn't use it much anymore and decided to cancel the line. Called to cancel and was told there will be xxx charges to terminate the line as it was still under the contract period. Decided to procced ahead with it. But my son wanted to keep the line, so called up within 1 hour and ask not to terminate the line. Took Starhub more than a week to reconnect the line, which pissed him off and he decided to port the number over to another telco.

And I was slapped with an additional charge of 700+ on top of the XXX amount agreed upon and also reconnection charges, for breaking the contract for the reconnected line which was not under any contract in the first place. Called starhub customer service and was told will get back to me within a few days. No reply for a week. Wrote to starhub, got a reply that their customer service will get back to me. Been almost another week now. Terrbile service and very poor efficiency. So am I supposed to let Starhub charge me at will and I have to pay up while they slowly take their time to sort it out. This incident really leaves a very bad impression of Starhub on me. I have been stonewalled and have no recourse. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Administrator
Solution

Re: Starhub Overcharging

Thanks for your reply @Anthony Tan , that was helpful information 

You are right that we do not have unilateral say in determining the amount to pay or tenure of contract. All these would have been agreed mutually at the point of signing of the contract. You are also right to say that you should not have any contract added back if you have already agreed to pay for the initial ETC. 

Let me send you a separate message to help you. You shouldn't have to worry about all these. 

Once again, sorry that we didn't handle this well! 

Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Administrator

Hi @Anthony Tan 

Sorry about the experience. I'm quite concerned about what has happened but since I have no access to your account I'd like to offer an explanation based on your post:

• You agreed initially to go ahead for termination of your son's line even though there will be an early termination charge (ETC) for the unfulfilled contract. Upon termination, the ETC was imposed automatically by the system.
  • You then requested for a reconnection which had complications because the full termination had already been done. 
  • After it was done, your son ported out the number which resulted in another termination and triggered another ETC. 

All the charges were automatically imposed by the system upon action e.g. termination (porting out is considered termination). We then need time to do adjustments (governance processes). 

If you need confirmation that your bill adjustments are underway, please send us a message on Facebook (https://m.me/StarHub) with your details and our colleague will check for you. 

Last but not least, please send me a private message if you know the name of the staff who was supposed to follow up with you. We could have done this better and I want to make sure that this feedback is sent back to the relevant team. 

Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub Smiley Happy

Senior Commentator

Dear Howard,

Thank you for explaning the situation. I am fine with the first termination charge and the subsequent reconnection charge. But the reconnection was done in a different plan which resulted in data charges.

And the reconnection should not be under any contract, I did not get any subsidized phone nor did I sign any new contact with starhub for the reconnection. It is not up to starhub to unilaterally decide how many years I'm under contract and how much damages I should pay in breach of a contract. The second ETC should not have been triggered as there is no contract in the first place.

It doesn't matter if I get confirmation that Starhub is aware and sorting this out, but I don't get replies or hear from Starhub at all. This issue keep hanging in my mind and I have to pick up calls from all unknown callers, which I usually don't, in anticipation that it could be Starhub calling.

Anyway, thank you for getting back to me.

Administrator
Solution

Thanks for your reply @Anthony Tan , that was helpful information 

You are right that we do not have unilateral say in determining the amount to pay or tenure of contract. All these would have been agreed mutually at the point of signing of the contract. You are also right to say that you should not have any contract added back if you have already agreed to pay for the initial ETC. 

Let me send you a separate message to help you. You shouldn't have to worry about all these. 

Once again, sorry that we didn't handle this well! 

View solution in original post

Senior Commentator

Case is currently being addressed by Starhub thanks to the excellent response by Howard.

Thank you.