GreenR Community|The Community Run by You
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim cutting?

Senior Commentator

Sim cutting?

Hi! I recently did a re-contract on my plan at your Tampines 1 branch last Sunday.  I took the Experia V and since it uses a micro SIM, the lady who processed my plan told me that I needed to buy it since my old sim is too big.  Of course I agreed.  The next day my friend told me (who is a subscriber from Singtel) that Singtel will just cut the regular SIM to make it a micro and if I need to change back to the regular size, Singtel will just put a plastic extension to it.

So, my question is, do any from Starhub knows about this? Buying a new SIM is costly because you charged me 26 sgd for something that could be easily remedied at zero cost!  The lady who processed my plan did not seem to have a clue about this because she did not offer me the cutting and just informed me straight away that I needed a new micro SIM!

8 REPLIES 8
Home Networking Expert

Re: Sim cutting?

Which sing tel provides cutting service? I remember my friend recontracted at amk hub sing tel and paid for e new sim and I was laughing at him. But it was few months back. M1 also makes the customer purchase new sim card.
Senior Commentator

Tampines

Administrator

As a Telco, we cannot advocate cutting a SIM cards as the card may get damaged, not immediately, but perhaps after some time of usage. When this happens, you may get disconnected from the network intermittently or cannot use your phone at all. Do think of the trouble that this can bring you.

We cannot comment on the practice of other Telcos but you may want to check if it is their main shop or just one of the partners run by third parties.

Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub Smiley Happy

Android™ Expert

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you recontract for a micro-sim phone, the telco should provide the new micro-sim card?

It is normally chargeable

Anyway, I'm not saying that you cannot cut it but you need to do it yourself and there will be risks Smiley Happy

Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub Smiley Happy

Valued Commentator

I bought a micro-SIM cutter for $28 from the internet, and so far I have helped friends cut at least 8 normal SIMs into micro-SIM without problems. Of course, you have to google and "see" for yourself what types of SIMs can be cut and what type cannot. Worst case scenario (if it is damaged) buy the new micro-SIM, which you would have done in the first place. Some retail shops help people cut for $5. I think the micro-SIM cutter already paid for itself on the first successful cut.
Android™ Expert

Some shops do it for free too. As long as you buy something from them, you gain they gain Smiley Happy

Thank you all for your inputs.  My friend says, the telco itself provided the service of cutting. So, if they are providing it, I guess they know what they are doing right?   So far, she said she has not encountered any problems with her SIM.