cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Higher Bills & Lower Discounts - Unbelievable

Highlighted
Trusted Commentator

Higher Bills & Lower Discounts - Unbelievable

been with starhub for easily more than 10 years. now i'm being forced to recontract to 4G with a higher monthly subscription and much much lower corp discount and CND benefit, which works out to be AT LEAST $75 more that i have to pay a year (havnt even included the CND that I have to pay after 1yr). i've got 2 lines. so by the time my 2nd line contract ends next year and i have to recontract, i've basically got to pay AT LEAST $75 x2 a year. 

sucks for being a loyal customer. this has finally driven me to consider m1 for the very first time in my life. 

and since this first step is taken, it won't be the last. 2nd line will follow. once i'm no longer a hub club member cos no mobile line, i will be considering other options for cable tv and broadband. so many many options out there these days. hah!

waiting for contract end now. soon.

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Community Sheriff

Re: Higher Bills & Lower Discounts - Unbelievable

Hi Amjoth, contracting is what all Telcos do in Singapore to keep a constant subscriber base, as an assurance of a consistent revenue base. I have done the math and and continue to do it every time my contracts come up for renewals taking into account and connectivity...or the lack of it. At the moment, the price point, for me anyway, has not gone up, its actually gone slightly down as a matter of fact, been with them for more than 10 years, its not the greatest but in terms of returns for the money I pay, its pretty reasonable. I don't think that the corp discount has gone down, I may be wrong there, I don't use it, I use the Hubber's discount which is higher than corp.
Maybe, well I hope anyway that when MyRepublic launches next year, there will be a market shake up, kind of like when Starhub first came up with free in coming calls all those years back. Other than that's looks like the current competition is to enlarge each respective subscriber base and maintain, so subscribers are made to go through a merry-go round.
Please do not send me enquiries via PM, I may not read them in time to help address your issues
Highlighted
Community Manager

@AMJOTH

The new 4G plans are designed to support customers who want to enjoy 4G data connectivity of up to 300Mbps and high-quality 4G voice calls on faster, more advanced 4G LTE-Advanced smartphones. We have been investing heavily in network upgrades to continually ensure that we offer customers excellent service experience, especially in a high-rise, high-density environment like Singapore. Whereas, existing customers can stay on their current plan without renewing the contract.

If my post answers your question, please click on the "Accept as Solution" button!
Highlighted
Trusted Commentator

yes, i hope myrepublic will give all of them a run for their money!! Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Trusted Commentator

well, apparently, if i don't renew, i will still have to pay a higher price than what i'm currently paying. in fact, pay more than if i were to recontract. so what kind of choice is that? still a bummer, my friend...

don't try that "we have all these value added services for you" stuff please. not everyone is going to be bought in by that. at the end of the day, you have your "free" value added services but increase our price. but i don't need your value added services. really. you "give" value add stuff that i don't care, but limit stuff that i need. so i end up paying for stuff i don't need and paying more for stuff that i need. why should i??! stop insulting us...

Highlighted
Trusted Commentator

anyway, i've done my maths. m1 is better in terms of pricing and discounts and based on what i need. will definitely be saving more with m1. waiting for contract ends this month. countdown starting...

Highlighted
Community Manager

@AMJOTH

We would not be able to comment on subscription charges on other telcos. Nowadays subscribers, households look at bundled service. For HubClub members, they do enjoy a % discount of up to 30% per month or if you are looking at bundled pricing, there's the recently launched HomeHub Go for you to choose from. For standalone mobile subscribers, they can look at Corporate Individual Scheme (CIS) discount for % discount on subscription and Free Caller Number Display and International Roaming, if the company qualifies.

If my post answers your question, please click on the "Accept as Solution" button!
Highlighted
Trusted Commentator

hi jere, yes, i have actually already factored in the cis discounts and free caller id etc. i have also looked at your homehub go, but your cheapest homehub go is still unfortunately more expensive than what i'm currently paying combined. yes, you've got more channels and fiber and what-nots, but i don't need that much and what i'm currently using is more than enough. so doesn't make sense for me to pay more for more stuff that i know i don't need. so.... sigh... unfortunately, there you go... anyway, guess there's not really anything you can do about it since this is the way starhub does things... it's a take it or leave it for customers, right? so... well... leave it then...

Grand Guru

There are need to compare the total package as just using plan price may not be acccurate.

Beside price plan, there is a need to look into others factor, such as handset, cost & hubber benefit.

Say you sign up on Telco-2 which do have attractive price plan.

This is to say you sign up as New customer.

After 2 contract terms, this Telco-2 decide to increase the price of the plan.

The "Loyal Customers" are no longer effective, as beside you, there could have >100,000 other "Loyal Customers".

Some of these decide to go to another Telco-3.

Then this loop will continue endlessly.

As your point is on price plan, is there any problems so far, on mobile service.

If you are having continuous problems with broadband, and decide to Telco-3.

For this, i have nothing to say.

For me, why do i stick to Starhub, since Starhub open their doors.

Up to now i do not have any problems &or issue, regarding all the services i have sign up.

For TV service, although i seldon watch TV as i use my laptop to watch instead.

And for Broadband service, from cable to fibre also have no issue or problems.

Maybe because i request the technician to do config my laptop as they are the "experience".

Back to mobile.

To cut down your cost, maybe you could request for mobile recontract voucher.

In this way, you have cut you cost already.

As what @Tan mentioned that hubber discount and benefit is much better than corp discount.

As hubber, you can do annual mobile recontract upgrade without any early recontract fee $200.

Being hubber, have you consider this $200 benefit and your contract is effectively 12 mths only. not 24 mths.

It is this  "Marketing dept' to handle all these 'cost & benefit', such as price, 'early recontract fee & discount of up to 30% for hubber'.; etc.

I did work in the Marketing dept before, it is not easy to suit to each and every customers need.

Ok, let say you do not need 4 mobile lines, you can get your family & friends; to link to your account.

So the benefit is not only for you, but include your family & friends.

Each Telco will have certain advantages & disadvantages.

Highlighted
Community Sheriff

@AMJOTH, understand where you're coming from, unfortunately, it is what it is, the package does not quite fit your usage pattern. Although, I really suggest that you hang on and see what the new telco offers if its rates and usage pattern that you are looking at, because, you're probably going to be stuck in another telco's contract when the new boy comes around and maybe...just maybe disrupts the market like what Starhub did when they first started.
With me, it matches my usage needs, yes, did my maths as well but, not quite worth the move for me as I am saving a bit more, plus the channels that my kids want are there and I'm still on cable...good luck dude Smiley Happy
Please do not send me enquiries via PM, I may not read them in time to help address your issues