cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High data usage

SOLVED
Senior Commentator

High data usage

A phone line in my Hub account is attached to an iPhone 6S. This phone has been consistently hitting 30GB of data usage in the last few months, leading to at least $150 extra every month. A friend with SingTel advised me to migrate to the StarHub plan with unlimited data, but sadly this is no longer available. And a call to customer service confirms that not much can be done, apart from monitoring the usage.  The problem is compounded by the fact that the iPhone defaults to cellular data, not wi-fi, so this option has to be turned off when wi-fi is available, and turned on again later. Not a convenient way to do things. Moving to the highest data plan (12 GB) and adding 3GB will also not help - the cost will easily hit $400. Short of leaving StarHub, is there any other viable solution?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Alumni (Retired)
Solution

Re: High data usage

@LesGoh,

is your Wi-Fi Assist in your iPhone is turned on? if yes try disabling them as this is another known cause of high data usage for iOS device.

Follow the steps mentioned below to disable Wi-Fi Assist.

Also more information is available at Apple website here!

WiFi Assist.PNG

Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub.

If my post answers your question, please click on the "Accept as Solution" button!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Grand Guru

Hi  @LesGoh

As for iPhone setting, i cannot advice as i use Android smartphones.

There is a setting, (default) that it rely on Wifi connection while at home, with mobile data is also enable.

Mobile data charges are calculated in both direction, namely, upload + download.

(This is not voice call as incoming is free.)

If the iPhone do not such default when wifi is available, wifi is set pirority before mobile data.

Then the only choice is to turn off mobile data when you reached home &or nearby do have wifi.

As to my understanding, by having such unlimited data usage, there are bound to have some customers misuse it for other purpose.

If this happen, then most probably this may cause much problem to other user /customer, as having no or slow networking connection.

Currently the Telcos do not have such unlimited mobile data.

Hence, you will certainly to pay more for having such limitation on your phone, regard to mobile data & wifi.

Maybe you could check any apps that can assist you to take charge on which services to set priority between mobile data and wifi.

Finally, using mobile data is very much slower than using wifi which is stable.

Highlighted
Alumni (Retired)
Solution

@LesGoh,

is your Wi-Fi Assist in your iPhone is turned on? if yes try disabling them as this is another known cause of high data usage for iOS device.

Follow the steps mentioned below to disable Wi-Fi Assist.

Also more information is available at Apple website here!

WiFi Assist.PNG

Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub.

If my post answers your question, please click on the "Accept as Solution" button!

View solution in original post

Senior Commentator

Actually SingTel does have unlimited data plans, but they will be discontinuing such plans in June. Appreciate your comment on turning mobile data on and off, and enabling wi-fi, but we have tried it, and the phone user keeps forgetting. Also, when wi-fi is spotty, it reverts back to its cellular data default. Thanks for your help, I am also an Android user and I'm glad this doesn't happen with us.

Senior Commentator

Thanks much, will turn off the Wi-Fi Assist as you suggested.

Honored Commentator

It happened to me recently too. Previously the usage was quite normal. I wonder why?

Regards

Joseph

Alumni (Retired)

Hi Joseph213, 

What i would suggest as a fellow iPhone user is to go under your mobile data and check out the areas you've spend your data on. It would give you a clearer picture of how your data was spend in a period of time. Below image is an example of the page you'll find on the iPhone.