Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downgrade penalty for early recontract

SOLVED
Highlighted
Honored Commentator

Downgrade penalty for early recontract

Hi Guys,

Currently, I am having StarHUB 4G4 and going to finish 1 year. 

As I am hub club member, I am eligible for early recontract (Recontract fee is waived). 

My Question is, If downgrade my plan from 4G4 to 4G3 during early recontract, will there be a penalty? If so, what are the charges?

Thanks

Regards

Chandra

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grand Guru
Solution

Re: Downgrade penalty for early recontract

Hi Chan4k

There is no downgrade penalty amount.
Starhub consider it as termination of contract.
The amount is stated on the webpage.

Regards
Eric

***sorry for late reply, due to my laptop was hacked***
***the antivirus was totally deleted & at least 3 program also deleted***

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Grand Guru

Yes. Termination Fees apply.

When you sign for 4G4, one year ago, it means that you signed a re-contract for another 24 months.
During 24 months, the contract said that you cannot downgrade on your existing plan 4G4.
The hubber benefit is the waive on Early Re-contract is that $200.
Any non hubber when doing a Early re-contact have to pay that $200.

Note that when you do a Early Re-contract, there is another hidden charges.
If you terminate this Early Re-contract within 1 year, you have to pay both contract.
Meaning, your existing contract is still valid, until that contract period end.

Example:
1. On 11/3/2014, you sign for a new contract which expired on 11/3/2016.
2. The on 11/3/2015 you sign a new re-contract for another 24 months which expired on 11/3/2017.
Now, if you terminate your contract on 11/12/2015, you will be charges for both contract termination fees.
This is because the earlier contract (#1) on 11/3/2014 is still not expired, which there is termination fee.
Both contract are running concurrently.
But if you terminate your contract on 12/2/2016, the 1st contract had expired, no charge.
Only termination fee apply for contract #2.

That is why you cannot do downgrade you plan, as you need to terminate the existing contract first.

For Termination fee, please see the link.

http://www.starhub.com/personal/support/mobile/faq/early-termination-charges.html

Hope you understand my english.

Honored Commentator

Hi Eric,

Really  lot of thanks for your detailed information. It's great help....and easy to understand as well. Man Happy

I was not aware that I am bounded by 2 contract for cancellation within a year. It is such a worthy note. However, I already have the early termination fees.

I will be more thankful, if you can tell me how much is the "downgrade penalty amount" from 4G4 to 4G3?

Thanks

Friendly

Chandra

Grand Guru
Solution

Hi Chan4k

There is no downgrade penalty amount.
Starhub consider it as termination of contract.
The amount is stated on the webpage.

Regards
Eric

***sorry for late reply, due to my laptop was hacked***
***the antivirus was totally deleted & at least 3 program also deleted***

View solution in original post

Honored Commentator

Thanks Eric....Sorry to know that your laptop is hacked. Hope all is well now.

I got my answers now.

I think Starhub is crazy, If they charge termination fee amount, why should I bounded by 2 contract for first year???!!! It doesn't make any sense. It is a great loss to consumer.

Alternatively, I can terminate the line, then sign up new line....So that, only one contract will be in active at anytime.

Thanks anyway.!

Friendly

Chandra

New Commentator

Hi there, I believe that you have got your information wrong. If you do early recontract there will be NO CHARGE FOR DOWNGRADING. Early recontract is essentially breaking the contract early and paying a fee (that can be waived off with hub club membership) to re sign a 2 year plan. You are free to choose any plan you want without a downgrade fee.
Grand Guru

@avinleeds wrote:
Hi there, I believe that you have got your information wrong. If you do early recontract there will be NO CHARGE FOR DOWNGRADING. Early recontract is essentially breaking the contract early and paying a fee (that can be waived off with hub club membership) to re sign a 2 year plan. You are free to choose any plan you want without a downgrade fee.

The following is stated in the paper contract that was given to you when you put your signature.

Mobile subscription:

Minimum Period of Service:  24 months (No downgrading of service during contract period)

Period:   

Early recontract is a fee that Telco allow its customers as a benefit.

Downgrade is about the plan (as stated above) and the existing contract is in force.

Early recontract and downgrade plan, both are part of the existing contract.

Refer to the this link as what  @simonN  the Customer Service staff mentioned.

http://community.starhub.com/t5/Mobile-Promotion/Mobile-recontract/m-p/110411#M141

I am not Starhub staff &or related to.

Alumni (Retired)

Dear all, 

Correction to the above reply with regards to downgrade of plan.

Please note the following. 

You are able to downgrade your mobile plan in 2 scenarios and they are as follow.

1) You are able to downgrade your mobile plan at the point of recontract (from 13 months onwards, note eatly recon fees of up $300 may apply).

2) You are able to downgrade your mobile plan upon completion of your 24 months mobile contract.

Thanks 

Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub.

If my post answers your question, please click on the "Accept as Solution" button!