StarHub Community|The Community Run by You
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tethering problem - intermediate connection to the internet

Honored Commentator

Re: Tethering problem - intermediate connection to the internet

I am providing an update here, as the Starhub CS and support team does not seem to be coordinating internally.

I have met up and done tests with 2 separate Starhub technicians at 2 separate locations, once in Sembawang and once in Jurong East. Both times, the following was done.

1. USB Tethering using my mobile (Samsung A7 2017) and SIM card.

2. USB Tehtering using technicians mobile (At Sembawang - Samsung 10.1" Tablet, At Jurong East - IPhone X) and their SIM card

The same problems were observed as described below

1. After about 5 - 10 mins, we are unable to initiate new connections to new web sites. It looks like data connections have stopped.

2. Strange and unexplained observations: ping test to internet (165.21.83.88 & 8.8.8.8) are still working.

3. Data connections on the mobile are also not working.

4. Put the phone to "Airplane Mode" and back, the connections will recover for another 5 -10 minutes.

5. At all times, the Signal Strength (RF) is good.

So, if you (the Starhub CS and Support team) are reading this, please stop calling me to tell me your network team does not find any issue with the Signal Coverage, because I don't think it is an RF issue. 

Also I don't think it is my mobile problem, or mobile OS problem. I have tested using my mobile, your technician Andorid tablet, and also your techician Apple IP Phone X. From my observations, I suspect the issue lie with your backend equipment.

Please activate your network team (non-RF) to look into your backend equipment settings instead.

Senior Commentator

I have also been experiencing the same issues as everyone else here.  This ONLY happens on Starhub, on mobile hotspotting, I even got a second SIM to put inside a hardware WiFi hotspot and the same issue occurs.

Investigating myself, I found that if i disable every background network application (things like Steam, VPN client etc) I get longer access... but as soon as I open too many tabs in Chrome, or try to do too much at once, the 4G stops responding (still connected, but no data being sent through).  Only going to flight mode/restarting the mobile hotspot will return access.

Does Starhub put a limit on the active connections / amount of requests per second through their 4G?  This seems to only affect Windows 10.  I have tested this on a couple of Windows 10 machines in my house and it happens on all. This is VERY clearly a backend issue with Starhub and needs to be resolved.

Alumni (Retired)

Hi mblume, may I know if you're on postpaid or prepaid? I can escalate your concerns to our tech team who'll be able to assist.

Can you PM me with your full name, NRIC/FIN and mobile so I can do so?

- Sal
Honored Commentator

A few key points here that the tech team need to take note:

1. the network is still connected, but no (surfing) data is being sent through. Ping to any internet address still works.

2. I have tested with both Windows 7 and Windows 10 machines, so it affects both.

So far, the back end network team has no clue. They are calling me everyday to ask if I still have the same issue, and that the backend team found no problems with the network coverage. Hello? Do you ever read the service reports from your service engineers? Please run the test internally, you will understand the problems we are facing.

Senior Commentator

Exact same problem for me... still connected but no data through and will only resolve when disconnect.

As stated, I assume the issue is related to amount of open connections / requests, when hitting a threshold Starhub stops responding on the service.  Can you please get your tech team to investigate?

Issues happens across multiple hardware (Note 8 and TPLink hotspot) so definitely traffic/backend related at Starhub.  

Respected Commentator

I think you guys can give up on any hopes of this ever being resolved.

For the past few months, my experience has been that CSO calls me telling me that they have done some changes to back-end settings and asks me to try again. I try and as usual, 4G data stops after 5-10 mins of hotspot use. I don't get why Starhub couldn't try it themselves, ensure that the problem is solved before contacting the customer. This is a waste of time and they are just stringing you along. I'm obviously not the only person complaining.

The only way that I'm able to get hotspot working was to use a non-Starhub SIM. Singtel works fine. If Starhub has traffic shaping policies about hotspot they should state it openly so that people like us who need hotspot will not sign up for their service in the first place.

Honored Commentator

For the past few months, my experience has been that CSO calls me telling me that they have done some changes to back-end settings and asks me to try again. I try and as usual, 4G data stops after 5-10 mins of hotspot use. I don't get why Starhub couldn't try it themselves, ensure that the problem is solved before contacting the customer. This is a waste of time and they are just stringing you along. I'm obviously not the only person complaining.

This is exactly what they have been doing to me now. Everyday, a CSO will call me and update that their back end is still investigating and will update me once they resolve the issue. This has been going on for a few months already. I advised them to test using their own mobile / SIM to see the problem.

Does anyone know which govt agency I can refer such cases to? It seems that the telcos can get away with such poor services, and there is no govt agency monitoring their service level.

Esteemed Commentator

I was facing this problem many months back. Now, I don't have this problem anymore. This is because I switched to another telco and ever since, my problem went away.

For me previously, I found that it was my canon network driver that was the root cause. So whenever I have to use tethering, I will need to remember to shutdown my canon network driver. Otherwise, I will loose internet connection eventhough my computer is connected to my phone hotspot. My phone will also loose it internet connection and I will have to restart my phone to restore internet connection.

But ever since I switched to another telco, I don't even have to shutdown my canon network driver whenever I use tethering. My internet hotspot connection is always connected and no more issue.

Grand Guru

Hi,

Have you consider to use USB tethering, that is connect via USB (charging) cable.

Just tested with 4G speed result of Download 80mbps Upload 15mbps via IE using Ookla speedtest.

Laptop is Windows 7.

Athough via wireless as mobile hotspot does not work but via USB cable it work fine & stable.

Not all phone models may have this USB tethering, but if your phone do have then use it as stable as wired connection.

Result of my search on this matter.

If you have a USB port on your laptop that can charge devices, 
tethering via USB would be a better way to connect 
than doing it wirelessly, because of that battery issue. 
If that doesn't seem to be working, try to confirm 
your USB port is working correctly.

I am not starhub staff.

Senior Commentator

I came across this posting because I am also experiencing the same problems with tethering on my Android phone. The connection is achieved initially for the first few minutes but degrades to the point where it is unusable. 

Both my PC and the phone will cease to have connection to the internet even though my mobile phone shows LTE data connectivity and my PC shows wifi connection with Internet access. 

This happens both with hotspot and USB tethering. 

I have tried the same setup with the SIM card of different service provider and don't have this problem. I'm guessing it is the Starhub mobile data configuration on my phone?

Has anyone encountering this issue found a resolution?