StarHub Community|The Community Run by You
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tethering problem - intermediate connection to the internet

Trusted Commentator

Tethering problem - intermediate connection to the internet

I tethered my mobile as a hotspot for my laptop to connect to the internet. Recently, I discovered the following issues when tethering.

1. On initial connection, everything is working fine.

2. After visiting a few different sites, browsing on the laptop becomes intermittent, i.e. some of the web pages will display connectivity errors.

3. Ping to the web sites show that there is no connection problem.

I would like to know if Starhub implement any sort of filtering or throttling of tethered network traffic?

I have tested the same setup(same SIM) using different Android phones (version 5.0 & 6.0). Currently I am using Samsung A7-2017. Does anyone has the same experience?

32 REPLIES
Alumni (Retired)

Re: Tethering problem - intermediate connection to the internet

Hi @mrlim17, please PM me the subscriber's name, NRIC/FIN, E-mail address and contact number. We'll be in touch. - Sofia

Sofia
Esteemed Commentator

I am also facing this same issue. I noticed it will happen about 5 minutes after I connected to the mobile hotspot. Then, I will need to restart my phone and re-enabled the tethering again. It is very frustrating.

Esteemed Commentator

For  my case, I managed to narrow down the root cause by try and error method. I uninstall all my software on my laptop and install all the software one by one to see which one is causing the issue.

I realised that my Canon driver (Canon IJ Network Scanner Selector EX) is the culprit. Somehow, it is not compatible with Starhub network. This software is installed when I install my Canon printer driver. It starts whenever Windows starts. I will need to manully turn it off whenever I do tethering for tethering to work.

You can try to see whether your case is the same as mine.

Respected Commentator

I'm having the same issue as you. Hotspot works for 5 mins, after which it stops working. As soon as this happens, I cannot use 4G on my mobile phone too. Starhub technician came over used THEIR SIM card on THEIR device (phone and laptop) and had the same problem too.

Only way that I resolved this was by using a Singtel SIM card for hotspot.

Trusted Commentator

My problem has been outstanding for more than 1 year. 

Make numerous calls to the contact center, refused to let me speak to their back-room engineers.

Standard replies from them - "Our investigations does not show any call nor data issues in your area, please change your phone or area to try again. There SHOULD NOT be any issue"

For the records, I make at least 10 calls to the contact center, 2 -3 visits to their service center, make 2 SIM card changes, Starhub technician came onsite and did a test on THEIR SIM with THEIR PHONE. Same issue. Til date, no resolution yet.

I am waiting for my contract to end, and explore how I can move to other telcos.

Anyway, if I wish to escalate to the authorities, which department should I call? This service level is totally unacceptable to me.

Alumni (Retired)

HI @mrlim17, for further assistance on this, please send me a PM with the subscriber's name, NRIC/FIN, email and mobile number, and I'll escalate it to our mobile team for assistance. Thank you. 

Esteemed Commentator

It could be something running on your laptop that is incompatible with the starhub network. For my case, I discovered that it was my Canon driver. I disabled it whenever I activate Hotspot. You may want to try to disable background running software one by one to try to identify the issue. Good Luck!

Respected Commentator

The 4G connection on the phone stops working after 5 min too. Not just the hotspot connection on the laptop. Furthermore the 2 starhub technicians that came over encountered the same problem using the technician's sim card, phone and laptop. Tech called HQ but still could not resolve the issue on starhub's equipment either.

I doubt that a program running on my laptop can stop the 4G connection on my phone right?

Looking forward to try Circles Life's 20GB data plan offered at the same price as starhub's 3GB data plan

Esteemed Commentator

For me, it is really the background program from Canon driver that is causing the issue. When it happened to me, the 4G on the phone also got disconnected. I had to restart the phone to get back the 4G connection.

So in my case, it is really the software on my laptop that is causing the issue. I began to suspect the root cause is my laptop after I started to use my iPad to connect to the hotspot. The iPad did not get any disconnection when it is connected to my phone hotspot. This made me realised that the probable root cause is the laptop.

After I disabled this little program in my laptop, I have no issue with hotspot at all. Just recently, I forgot to disable this Canon driver and I started getting disconnected again. After I disabled this driver, the hotspot worked again with no disconnection.

Maybe you can try to connect the hotspot to other devices like tablet or other phones or laptops.

At least for me, I managed to find the root cause. I'm just sharing my experience. It could very well be different for your case.