cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starhub IPTV and LAN point

Community Manager

Re: Starhub IPTV and LAN point

Hi iggi3z

Thank you for bringing this up. Please note that the pictures you presented does not align with StarHub's system.

If you are using StarHub Fibre TV, alternative solutions will be presented if you visit our Shop.

To reduce waiting time, kindly use our eAppointment. Thank you. https://secure.starhub.com/myaccountmgr/#/eappointment-new-customer/starthttps://secure.starhub.com/...

- Jackson
Valued Commentator

@JacksonTZG wrote:

Hi iggi3z

Thank you for bringing this up. Please note that the pictures you presented does not align with StarHub's system.

If you are using StarHub Fibre TV, alternative solutions will be presented if you visit our Shop.

To reduce waiting time, kindly use our eAppointment. Thank you. https://secure.starhub.com/myaccountmgr/#/eappointment-new-customer/starthttps://secure.starhub.com/...

Thanks for your reply.

I had went down to the starhub shop and found out more about how it works:

Basically, starhub only recently started to provide Ethernet Over Coax Converter (EOCC) as a solution.

Basically, a device is attached on each end of the port that allows you to covert RJ45 signals to RG6 coaxial using the existing coaxial points internal wiring. Solving the much dread external trunking for data points.

Respected Advocate

@iggi3z wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

I had went down to the starhub shop and found out more about how it works:

Basically, starhub only recently started to provide Ethernet Over Coax Converter (EOCC) as a solution.

Basically, a device is attached on each end of the port that allows you to covert RJ45 signals to RG6 coaxial using the existing coaxial points internal wiring. Solving the much dread external trunking for data points.

According to the Ethernet Over Coaxial for Fibre TV FAQ, this solution is intended for where the Termination Point is more than 2m away or on a different wall from the TV. And it's only suitable for user with 1 STB.

So if you are trying to avoid trunking to your bedroom for additional STBs, this solution may be out. 

And only HDB block constructed after 2011 will support this. 

utility-closet

A typical set up will look like this:

eoc-single-set-top-box-set-up-v2

Honored Contributor

For me I am using media PC to connect to TV in my bedrooms to stream from Starhub Go.

So the pc will connect to internet through Wifi or ethernet and login to Starhub Go to watch all my subscribed channels

Free, same 1080p quality, can use wifi (I am using ethernet because I have lay ethernet cable in all my bedrooms) and most important no need to pay monthly fee for a set-top box Smiley Tongue

Respected Advocate

Very interesting.

My post on Team Red's implementation of Wireless Bridge (so no trunking required to other rooms) was deleted. 

In any case, it's not an option for Starhub because they implement their FibreTV signal differently from Team Red. 

*shrug* Guess Starhub unable to stomach constructive criticism and prefer to continue to live in their ivory tower and shoved unpalatable solution to their paying customers. (Very soon many will become ex-customers)

Respected Advocate

Here's an updated EOCC solution from Starhub.

Link here >> Ethernet Over Coaxial Converter (EOCC) for Fibre TV

There's no requirement for BTO flat built from 2011 onwards and it can now support 4 STBs. 

However, the cost of this solution is not exactly cheap. The recommended retail prices for EOCC “Master” and “Slave” units will be $85.60 (with GST) and $74.90 (with GST) respectively.

So for an additional STB in the room, it will cost you $160.50. If you need 2 STBs, it will cost you $235.40.

So installing trunking is still cheaper. But for those who cannot or do not want external trunking, this is certainly an alternative worth considering. 

At least SH is finally offering an alternate solution. So instead of just giving up PayTV altogether, at least now we can consider whether we can to use this EOCC solution or not. 

Personally, I find the EOCC Master and Slave unit too expensive. If SH throws in a pair of Master and Slave EOCC as part of a 2-years Fibre TV contract (same as they are providing 1 pt trunking free) then it may be worth considering switching. Otherwise, my current inclination is still to give up SH TV.