cyc
Senior Commentator

Starhub Fibre TV using other ISP fibre broadband

5 REPLIES 5
cyc
Senior Commentator

Re: Starhub Fibre TV using other ISP fibre broadband

Hi,

I currently have separate subscriptions for Starhub cable TV and M1 fibre broadband.

With the cessation of Starhub cable TV, I would like to confirm if it is possible for me to continue with M1 fibre broadband while switching to Starhub fibre TV? That is, can Starhub fibre TV run on another provider's fibre network?

If so, will Starhub provide technical assistance when I switch to Starhub fibre TV? Are there any one-off costs for this?

It seems strange for Starhub not to provide a definite upfront response to what must be a very common question - didnt see this being addressed in FAQ or press releases etc. Hope this is not a ploy to confuse customers in the hope that more will do a complete switch to Starhub fibre broadband just to play safe.

Thanks.

Community Manager

Hi cyc,

It is advisable to sign up for our Fibre Broadband and TV as a package, as it is significantly cheaper. For alternatives , please head down to our stores to find out more. 

To reduce waiting time, please use our eAppointment at https://secure.starhub.com/myaccountmgr/#/eappointment-new-customer/start.

Hope this helps. Smiley Happy

- Jackson
Grand Guru

Hi  @cyc

Each flat with a FTP do have 2 ports for 2 ISP(s) for both Internet/Router and/or Pay-TV services.

And each ISP require its own ONT for providing Fibre netwrok for Internet and/or Pay-TV services.

Hence you can continue to use your existing ISP and upgrade/sign up to Starhub Fibre services, separately.

i am not starhub staff.

Respected Advocate

The short answer is: you can. 

But you will need to pay a Fibre Link Access Fee of $16.50 per month.

Why need to pay this amount? I wondered about it because if you do a search for Fibre Link Access Fee, it is buried in Starhub's T&C as a termination fee for terminating "the StarHub Fibre Broadband
Service which you have subscribed for together with your TV Service that is registered under the same
billing account and Service Address."

SOURCE: STARHUB'S SERVICE SPECIFIC TERMS & CONDITIONS HOMEHUB

So effectively what it means is that if you choose only to subscribe to SH Fibre TV without SH Fibre BB, SH considers it that you are terminating Fibre BB and is charging you the Fibre Link Access Fee.

Frankly, I am flabbergasted that SH is even allowed to do this. And frankly, I'm not even sure its right.

The more I think about it, the more I think that we were given the wrong information here by SH CSO.

For background, refer to this post from CSO Amy >> https://community.starhub.com/t5/Set-Top-Boxes/What-is-going-on-at-starhub/m-p/166111/highlight/true...

There is a technical reason why you need SH Fibre BB to access SH Fibre TV because of the way SH choose to implement their IPTV services. I do not understand it totally myself but I do know that it is also the reason why wireless transmission is not an option.

cyc
Senior Commentator

Thanks all for your comments.