Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Support Replacement Phone Woes

SOLVED
Highlighted
Senior Commentator

Smart Support Replacement Phone Woes

Dear Sir / Mdm

I was given this email by one of the CSO from the Smart Support Hotline which I called barely 15 minutes ago.

I joined Smart Support around 2 years ago and had been faithfully paying the 12 dollars monthly fees.

I lost my P20 Pro and called for a replacement phone request with Smart Support. What shocked me was that I was informed that I had to fork out a hefty sum of SGD550 for a replacement phone. And the replacement phone would be a “refurbished” phone.

I decided to put the request on hold and check with StarHub about early recontract of one of my phone lines. I was informed that apart from an early re-contract fee of SGD300 which I need to pay, with my existing plan if I do an early re-contract I would have to fork out approximately total of SGD399 for a brand new P20 Pro.

Below is the common “cents” breakdown of the whole comparison of the above 2 scenarios.

1. Star hub Smart Support plan – paid 2 years monthly fee of $12 per month = $288.00 + SGD550 (replacement fee) = SGD838 for a “refurbished” phone
  2. Early recontract of one of my lines – SGD300 early re-contract fee + SGD99 (for phone based on my line) = SGD399 for a new” phone

For SGD838, I could buy a new phone off Q10 or other online store.

The above comparison shows that I have been paying for something that has no use to me for the past 2 years. Now that I need to use the service which I had paid for I need to fork out so much more just to get a replacement phone. The whole concept and idea is totally WRONG..

That said I had made a request to the CSO to immediately cancel my smart support plan. Being a loyal customer to Star Hub for so many years (good payment record too) it’s really disappointing to ‘experience’ such a drama and finally realise after 2 years that I had been paying for something that totally has no use to me.

If the replacement fees had been pegged to my contract (phone purchase price based on contract) than it may make some sense to use the Smart Support plan to replace my missing phone. But as such it makes totally no sense in doing so.

I hope this experience of mine will serve to provide some insight into what the whole Smart Support Plan is and what benefits it actually gives to STARHUB’s loyal and existing customers like myself.

This email is not meant as an offence to anyone and if it did then I will like to sincerely apologize here. It is simply to share my thoughts and experience which I hope can be something that can benefit other Star hub users of Smart Support.

Thank you.

Regards

Ronchay

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager
Solution

Re: Smart Support Replacement Phone Woes

Hi Ronchay

Thank you for the response. I sincerely apologize if my previous response sounded rude as that is definitely not my intention. Smiley Sad

I agree with your viewpoint that if you sign up for SmartSupport and did not had any mishap for your phone, it is definitely an expensive charge in the long run. (In your case, indeed it is, as you did not lose your phone over a period of 2 years, where you are ready for recontract)

However, just a simple example, if you were to lose an iPhone XS Max 512GB ($2,349 Retail Price), a replacement fee costs $680.

As you have already calculated the price of $288 over the period of 2 years, $680[Replacement Fee] + $288[SmartSupport over 2 years] = ($968) is still significantly cheaper.

Then again, iPhone XS Max 512GB may be a different price after 2 years due to depreciation. And also, when going closer to the recontract period, we could be using recontract priced handset rather than retail price for the comparison.

All in all, we did came to the same conclusion that each person will have to make their own choices / decisions in whether SmartSupport will be helpful at all, according to their circumstances. 

Hope this helps, if any. And my sincere thanks to you on tabulating your findings.

Yours sincerely,

- Jackson
6 REPLIES 6
Community Manager

Hi Ronchay,

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your phone, and would also like to thank you for your insight. Do consider calculating possible scenarios to see a wider angle of what you have reviewed. E.g. losing your phone within a few months of SmartSupport.

Upon review, you will be able to make an informed decision on whether SmartSupport will be able to help you in that specific case. 

One thing to note here, you can only sign up for SmartSupport at point of sales / recontract. While you are able to drop SmartSupport, You will not be able to request for SmartSupport mid-contract, at a later time. Hope this helps. Smiley Happy 

- Jackson
Valued Advisor

Hi,

Just to add-on during my re-contract a  month ago, CSO told me "Nothing to pay" if my phone cannot power-on, screen cracked, etc or simply cannot use, however, the words she used for one-to-one replacement were, either "New item or refurbished".  I didn't asked for a loss phone scenario.

Now, I'm thinking if it's really worth to pay $12 / month for this Smart support option.  If it's not true that "Nothing to pay", then it's not worth.

Anyone here successfully one-to-one exchange for a defective phone under this Smart Support without paying any cents?

Thanks,

Senior Commentator

Hi Jackson

Thanks for the reply. 

As I have mentioned in my message earlier I have been on Smart Support about 2 years since I got my smart phone.

Based on my calculations and various scenarios presented its obvious that after 2 years of paying 12 dollars per month for smart support and with the need to pay another 550 for a replacement phone which is not new it certainly doesn't make any sense. 

I did some computation of the numbers for everyone's benefit and a careful study of the numbers shows the obvious choice is to recontract my line and pay the penalty for early recontract for a new phone which is still cheaper than going the smart support way. 

Honestly I don't quite understand your point of looking at the wider angle. If there is any option that I may have missed I will gladly welcome your constructive insights. 😊

Each person will have to make their own choices/decisions on whether smart support is useful at all according to their own circumstances. For my own as the numbers shows it does not make any sense to continue paying 12 dollars for smart support. 

Thanks 

Regards

Ronchay 

Community Manager
Solution

Hi Ronchay

Thank you for the response. I sincerely apologize if my previous response sounded rude as that is definitely not my intention. Smiley Sad

I agree with your viewpoint that if you sign up for SmartSupport and did not had any mishap for your phone, it is definitely an expensive charge in the long run. (In your case, indeed it is, as you did not lose your phone over a period of 2 years, where you are ready for recontract)

However, just a simple example, if you were to lose an iPhone XS Max 512GB ($2,349 Retail Price), a replacement fee costs $680.

As you have already calculated the price of $288 over the period of 2 years, $680[Replacement Fee] + $288[SmartSupport over 2 years] = ($968) is still significantly cheaper.

Then again, iPhone XS Max 512GB may be a different price after 2 years due to depreciation. And also, when going closer to the recontract period, we could be using recontract priced handset rather than retail price for the comparison.

All in all, we did came to the same conclusion that each person will have to make their own choices / decisions in whether SmartSupport will be helpful at all, according to their circumstances. 

Hope this helps, if any. And my sincere thanks to you on tabulating your findings.

Yours sincerely,

- Jackson
Community Manager

Hi Roel

Do consider checking with SmartSupport by downloading the App at http://www.starhub.com/personal/mobile/mobile-phones-plans/value-added-services/smartsupport.html.

Thank you. Smiley Happy 

- Jackson
Senior Commentator

Hi Jackson

Your email is well received.

I started this thread reiterating my own situation with regards to the Smart Support Plan that I was paying for.

Of course your example of the Iphone makes sense if you lose it after signing up for the Smart Support only recently.

That is why I mentioned in my earlier email that each person's situation and circumstanes varies. Each will have to make their own informed decision when it comes to their situation regarding smart support if they do lose their phone or the phone is damaged.

Thank you for the comments and feedback. 

Regards

Ronchay