Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One Data Point in Living Room, but need it for BOTH Ethernet and TV

SOLVED
Highlighted
Senior Commentator

One Data Point in Living Room, but need it for BOTH Ethernet and TV

Background:

- I am staying in landed house, have a terminal point inside a cabinet in the Kitchen.  

- Starhub modem is connected to the terminal point at the back in the (inside cabinet of) Kitchen

- Modem internet is connected to Netgear router and the router internet (out) is connected to the 'pass through' in the Kitchen cabinet such that I can use the data point in my living room 

- I am using mesh system (Netgear call it Satellite), and since the Satellite is far away from the Router which is closed inside a cabinet, I decided to use a wired connection (via the pass-through in kitchen, via the data point in living room) on my Satellite so that my internet connection can be stable

- For easy ref, it looks like this:

Starhub modem -> Router (Kitchen) -> Pass through point (Kitchen) -> Data Point (Living Room) -> Satellite

Problems

- Since I have used up the only data point in my living room, I have no way to use the TV that I subscribed.

- As far as I understand, the TV point from the modem and the Internet point are 'different', even though they both are RJ45 connection.

- Dilemma: If I connect TV point of modem to the pass through I can use for my TV setup box but can't have a wired connection for the Satellite; whereas if I connect Internet point of modem to the pass through I cannot use the TV

- My TV subscription is redundant now unless I switch it out at the Kitchen everytime I want to watch Starhub TV

Potential solution (that I have thought about but wouldn't work - I think)

- Getting an ethernet switch to connect to the living room data point so I have more points - but this wouldn't work because the signal of TV and Ethernet point (out from modem) are different - pls correct me if I'm mistaken.  In fact, if this would work, I can simply use the Satellite data point (without needing the ethernet switch) to connect to the setup box in the living room

- Is there a device/adapter/switches that somehow allow me to connect both TV and Ethernet to Kitchen pass through and then for me to use the single data point in Living room such that I can use either Satellite/Ethernet Switch for BOTH TV and Ethernet?  Manual switch is also acceptable if such thing exists.  

Question

Is there a solution for this?  

I apologize if this is not clear, it is not easy to explain, so if you need more details please let me know.  Thank you very much for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Senior Commentator
Solution

Re: One Data Point in Living Room, but need it for BOTH Ethernet and TV

Just to update here for the benefits of others who might face the same situation.

Starhub called back.  Spoke to friendly Kratos.

2 possible solutions:

1. Add a data point.  This is obvious solution but relatively 'big' job so I would avoid this.

2. Convert phone line to data point.  Doing this is quite fast and cost 53.50 which is also not cost prohibitive.  However, to do this I have to sacrifice the phone line.  I have other point for phone line but currently living room is the most convenient, but something worth considering.  

That's all.  Stay safe.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Hi @tandokheng, welcome to Greenr Community! It's great to have you here. I'd be happy to assist you but your concern needs further technical assistance so in this case, we need to refer you to our Customer Care Support Team on Facebook or Twitter. Apologies for the inconvenience. 

~ Carla
Highlighted
Senior Commentator

Tks Carla,

Can you get someone to answer me here, or calling me instead?

I went from community, to messenger and was told to call 1633.  What's the point of posting here, I might as well just call 1633? 

The reason I posted here is because of the complexity of the issues and I thought we will have competent tech support here.   In addition, I don't want to explain to 10 different person on 1633 because I anticipated that after I finish explaining the whole situation, the support person will just say "wait I need to pass you to...." and I have to spend another who-knows-how-many-minutes to explain the whole thing again...., and perhaps in Starhub fashion, the guy on the other line will also say "hold on, I need to pass you to another department..."

Can I please have someone to explain here on the possible solutions?  Thank you.

Highlighted
Senior Commentator
Solution

Just to update here for the benefits of others who might face the same situation.

Starhub called back.  Spoke to friendly Kratos.

2 possible solutions:

1. Add a data point.  This is obvious solution but relatively 'big' job so I would avoid this.

2. Convert phone line to data point.  Doing this is quite fast and cost 53.50 which is also not cost prohibitive.  However, to do this I have to sacrifice the phone line.  I have other point for phone line but currently living room is the most convenient, but something worth considering.  

That's all.  Stay safe.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Relationship Manager

Hi @tandokheng, thanks for sharing the updates so everyone could learn from it. Smiley Happy

Let us know if you do decide to convert the phone line. 

Thanks,

Jolene