cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New iPhone 6 plus but crashed on 1st day

SOLVED
Esteemed Commentator

New iPhone 6 plus but crashed on 1st day

I bought an iPhone 6 plus from Starhub shop, located at Westgate on 5th Apr, didn't really use it right away as it has no app and i was waiting for my new sim card to be activated. So i left the phone on standby, for about 6 hours which then the sim card was activated and i sent out my first msg on my new gadget happily, and started to explore on the functions of it. However to my surprise, the phone was left with just 20%! As the phone came with about 50% of battery bar when the staff first switched it on for me to do a check on the phone.

Then i was already wondering why was the phone left with 50% when this is a new phone. I double checked with the staff (before my purchase) if this was a refurbished set but he assured me that this is a new phone. To give the benefit of doubt, i accepted the phone without further questions and after all, the condition of the phone looks mint, and this is Starhub. I mean they have a reputation to uphold, right?

So even though i left the phone on standby (6 hours), the phone dropped from 50% to 20% and while i was exploring the functions which i took 3 shots with its camera in default settings, it further dropped to 16%. Of which, the phone did 2 restarts on its own. First when i opened up Safari, second when i opened up Photos. So i thought it was due to low battery as i did not do a full charge before i use. So i switched it off and charged it with its cable. Then of course it was powered back on, i left it on standby while it was charging.

So i only get to use it on the 6th Apr however that was also when that i last used it. The phone restarts on its own RANDOMLY and PERIODICALLY. And each time it restarts, either a bright Blue or Neon Red screen would flash out, followed by the normal Apple logo.

I tried to get advices from Starhub, which later i was advised to go to ALAB, as this is technical issue and i can ONLY go to Apple though my phone just left Starhub shop 1 day ago (which thank god i have the Applecare warranty!) else who is to solve my issue for this newly purchase phone?

However as i have to work, i could only call Apple International Tech Centre and not travel down to ALAB. The American tech support guy which i spoke to over the phone was more than helpful and detailed than any other Starhub tech support staff! However so, the same issue with my phone still persist even though i have done all that i was advised with.

Eventually took some time off to bring the phone to ALAB at Changi City Point. Was told that this could be due to software problems and they need to look into it. However, i was told that "if any liquid damage found, it will not eligible for the exchange. If any modification found, it will not eligible for the exchange, modification will void warranty, no further repair on the unit and a service fee $45 from customer. Simcard removed. (The best was this!) modify unit will not enclose any info when is found". I was like "hello, this is a new phone i just bought from Starhub 2 days ago, my fingers and palm have not even found their comfort zone on the bigger sized model, what modifications you talking about? And why will not disclose any info when found?? Then how am i to know? And since Starhub is washing their hands off already."

However, left with no choice, i signed the customer service order and took back my sim card. I requested for a replacement phone. However was rejected as they do not loan out to any customer. Felt that it was no point arguing, i went to Starhub shop and asked for a solution. The sales person told me there is nothing he could do but for me to find my own phone and solution. This i understand as some shops are just acting as Starhub's dealers, not from the main company.

However, given my time and money wasted because of such quality of phone. When QC not done to ensure new phone has no software issues, how dare such a big company sells such a phone to me? My clients couldnt get me for these few days, business deals lost, opportunity cost gone, time and money spent and wasted on travelling here and there, who is to pay for this? Customer service personnel not accomodating and never help to solve the problem, when it is not my problem in the first place. Nobody would want to buy a new phone with all these difficulties right?? A phone itself plus the expensive plans now would easily cost $1800-$2200 overall, depending which plan you sign up for that 24 months.

Is this the kind of service that Starhub "ensure", let alone to mention "provide"? Is saving costs by outsourcing services to hopeless third parties solving your customers' issues? Does Starhub audit all third party outsourced providers?

I am sure given same scenario, competitor Red and Orange would have done a better Service Recovery Actions.

So now, despite tied on for another 24 months, paid $400 for the handset itself and $27 for a new simcard, amounting myself to a monthly subscription for $80/month, yet no phone for the next 7 days, clients couldnt get me and all the unnecessary time wasted on meddling with the problem of the phone AND how to solve AND who can i go to for help instead of spending it wisely to settle my work or to enjoy the new capability of the highly sought after iphone 6 plus... Can I return the phone? Will I get a full refund? What are my compensations, for my time and money and oppotunity cost? What are my assurance that Starhub is valuing me as a valued customer and not just 1 additional customer? To be honest, i am disappointed with such quality and service, coming from Starhub.

I do appreciate any responses. Thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ES1
Senior Commentator
Solution

Re: New iPhone 6 plus but crashed on 1st day

Wow.. That's quite crappy.. To think one should be excited and happy to use their newly bought phone... I hope Starhub do something about this man. This is not how Starhub should treat their loyal customers.
14 REPLIES 14
ES1
Senior Commentator
Solution

Wow.. That's quite crappy.. To think one should be excited and happy to use their newly bought phone... I hope Starhub do something about this man. This is not how Starhub should treat their loyal customers.
Esteemed Consultant

hi Echw, so sad to hear about this encounter of your new phone....i thought apple should be able to replaced any faulty phone within 7 days , don't they do a 1 to 1 exchange if it is faulty? did you try the phone out when you collect it? I thought the sh staff will assists you to insert the "sim" card and at the same time test the phone, isn't that the standard practice? pls share with us what happen to your phone in the end?
Community Sheriff

Hi Echw, bummer on the new iPhone. Normally even a factory fresh phone will come with a 50 -60% charge on the battery, in fact as far as I can remember, I never had one that came with a flat battery. Unfortunately, nowadays, all 3 telcos have diverted DOA devices back to manufacturer, unless otherwise stated, saw signs at Red and Orange's shope some time back. Apple's 'liquid' clause is quite standard, but don't understand why you had to go to Changi though to get it fixed, there's one at Plaza Singapura.
Alumni (Retired)

How is your phone now?
Esteemed Commentator

hey sfans, thanks for sharing my sadness.. yes eventually apple did, after 5 days. so during that 5 days i had no smartphone, despite paying $ for 4G connection.

so far so good. phone still working since apple gave me a new set. they said that the phone was completely screwed. hardware issues as in the processor or something inside was faulty.

starhub staff did put in the sim card for me and ask me to check. but as all consumers, we only check the exterior, pixels, camera or apps etc. and for at most 5-10mins? no one would probably use it for long to see any further issues with the handset. i do understand starhub didnt predict that the phone was faulty in the first place, i was the unlucky one to have picked it (or that starhub staff was unlucky to have picked it for me) just disappointed at how starhub handles and treat this whole incident. as for now, i still have yet to hear anything from starhub Smiley Sad((
Esteemed Commentator

Hi Tan, i see. Thanks for sharing. Changi was because it is nearer to my place as compared to PS.
Highlighted
Esteemed Commentator

Hey razerpro, new phone still working fine. ALAB did a replacement for me. That phone was totally screwed. Reported as defect
Community Sheriff

Hi Echw, glad you got it sorted out. Starhub's response, suggest that you don't mull over it, I used be a red subscriber, long time back, I can assure you, they are no better. Enjoy Smiley Happy
Alumni (Retired)

Glad to hear that you have a working phone now.