Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netflix uhd content

SOLVED
Highlighted
Respected Commentator

Netflix uhd content

Now that netflix is in singapore, just wondering if starhub's internet connectivity is capable of streaming 4k or UHD content?

I have a Sony UHD Android TV, and netflix's premium subscription allows you to play UHD content. It will be a waste of money if i were to subscribe to the premium plan for UHD content but starhub's network can only stream up to 1080p content.

Aside from the limited content that the Singapore netflix offers as compared to the US version, i just want to know whether I will be able to get UHD quality movies/tv shows if i subsribe to netflix premium plan? or is it a physical limitation which allows only up to HD quality.

Anyone can advise?

Everyone's Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager
Solution

Re: Netflix uhd content

Hi, To stream a 4k video, a minimum 25Mbps Internet connection is required. Pls ensure that u r connected via wired connection instead of Wi-Fi for a better and stable connection. You may try this out on a UHD YouTube video for streaming test.

If my post answers your question, please click on the "Accept as Solution" button!
4 REPLIES 4
Grand Guru

@protanium wrote

Aside from the limited content that the Singapore netflix offers as compared to the US version, i just want to know whether I will be able to get UHD quality movies/tv shows if i subsribe to netflix premium plan? or is it a physical limitation which allows only up to HD quality.

There are certain contents are available for US only, and some are Free.

That is why the offer price is such low $10.00 which is same as US.

Netflix are only content provider and they will follow strictly US rules & regulation & DRM.

Take a read on Netflix in wikipedia, with regarding to speed & many interesting issues.

The primary priority is the contents itself,  for streaming to here, Singapore.

As in the past, we are rated not so favourable by US.

Also the type of subscription; monthly or yearly.

I would say should Starhub offer on this, may not suitable to us, which most probably yearly contract.

The point is i do not want to subscribe if the contents are limited, while paying in US rates.

In your current subscription, most probably it is thru VPN network.

This will enable to view contents as in US version.

Currently i have PureVPN, which is partner with Starhub, as this is my main purpose.

Meaning there will not have certain websites being block by the ISP.

Tested, no restriction.

If i do interested, i may go thru PureVPN, as similar to you.

This is enable me to watch in US version, as similar to you.

Veteran

Theoretically, even the lowest 100Mbps fibre plan can stream UHD.

https://technology.ihs.com/496648/netflix-goes-ultra-high-definition

EDIT: netflix recommends at least 25Mbps for UHD:

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306

But in reality, it depends on where the video server is.  If netflix has a local server, should be no problem.  If overseas, a lot depends on the overseas link, especially during peak hours.

Community Manager
Solution

Hi, To stream a 4k video, a minimum 25Mbps Internet connection is required. Pls ensure that u r connected via wired connection instead of Wi-Fi for a better and stable connection. You may try this out on a UHD YouTube video for streaming test.

If my post answers your question, please click on the "Accept as Solution" button!
New Commentator

I can advise an excellent site where you can watch movies https://solarmovie.tube/