cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FAQ: The D-Link DVG-N5402SP Home Gateway

Administrator

FAQ: The D-Link DVG-N5402SP Home Gateway

Dear Community members 

We heard your feedback and suggestions and would like to respond officially to some of the most common concerns raised. We really appreciate the feedback, suggestions and opportunity for us to do better in future. 

Should you wish to contact us on your account related matters, please drop us a note at StarHubCares. If it is an urgent technical issue, please call our 24-hour hotline at 1633 immediately and select the Technical Support option instead. 

Robot Very Happy

######################################## 

Q1: Why is StarHub offering a router that is less capable than mass market routers in terms of Wi-Fi speed?

Ans: The D-Link Home Gateway that we offer with our MaxInfinity plan is based on 2x2 MIMO single-band (2.4GHz) technology, which is common to mass market routers. Based on this technology, the Wi-Fi compliant Home Gateway is able to support wireless link speeds of up to 300Mbps.

However, Wi-Fi Certified products are “good neighbours” to other Wi-Fi equipment. This means that they would refrain from channel bonding so as to reduce interference when neighbouring 2.4G Hz Wi-Fi networks are detected. The enforcement of this policy is one of the leading reasons why the peak wireless link speed of 300Mbps is not sustainable on the 2.4GHz band.

We acknowledge that there are high-end routers available in the market which come equipped with 3x3 MIMO and dual-band (2.4GHz & 5GHz) technology. Now that we are allowing direct connection to ONTs, customers may purchase the D-Link DIR-865L from our partner at a special price of $199. The DIR-865L is a dual-band router with 3x3 MIMO technology and is expected to better match the needs of our customers who are more tech-savvy.

Q2: Can you allow me to use my own router?

Ans: Yes, you may now use your own router for your MaxInfinity service. Please contact us to reconfigure your ONT for direct connection. During this process, your broadband service and home phone line (if any) will be temporarily unavailable. We will contact you once the reconfiguration is successful.

Please note that you will need to use a stand-alone Voice-enabled Cable Modem for your Digital Voice Home service if you opt out from using our Home Gateway.

Q3: Why did StarHub not reveal the Home Gateway specifications at the point of sign-up?

Ans: The specifications of our Home Gateways are published on our website.

Q4: Other ISPs are able to provide ONT with voice capability. Will StarHub be able to do the same thing?

Ans: We are exploring the option to offer an ONT with voice capability. We will inform our customers should we decide to offer such a device.

######################################## 

Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub Smiley Happy

26 REPLIES 26
Administrator

Re: FAQ: The D-Link DVG-N5402SP Home Gateway

Educational information on Wi-Fi

Actual Wi-Fi range and throughput is very subjective and sensitive to the environment. User experience can be affected by the following but not limited to:

1. Obstructions by concrete walls, partitions, metal and glass structures and furniture
  2. Neighbouring routers on the same or overlapping channel
  3. Interferences from equipment operating on the 2.4GHz spectrum (e.g. 2.4GHz cordless phones, Microwave ovens, Wireless Baby Monitors, Bluetooth devices, etc)

Radio-Frequency (RF) Interferences in (iii) is the leading cause of signal fluctuation or poor signal level on Wi-Fi networks. Mitigating RF interferences can be as simple as doing the following:

1. Change the channel on your access point or wireless router to a less congested channel.
  2. Change the location of your wireless gadgets. Subtle changes of 2 to 3 feet can make a great difference. Do not place the access point or wireless router in a cabinet or enclosure.
  3. Change the location of the base of your cordless phone if it is a model that uses the 2.4GHz spectrum. Alternatively, purchase a model that uses 900MHz or 5.2GHz.

For more information on how to improve your wireless experience, please do not hesitate to seek professional assistance from the router support hotlines:

Cisco wireless & router Technical Support

Hotline: 6488 5171
E-mail: starhub.cisco.sa@ingrammicro-asia.com
Operating hours: Mondays to Saturdays, 11am to 9pm (inclusive of Public Holidays)

D-Link 24/7 Technical Support
Hotline: 6501 4280
E-mail: support@dlink.com.sg

Huawei
Huawei call-centre hotline number:  800 6011 450
E-mail: sgcare@huawei.com
Daily operating-hours (SG time):  9am to 10pm

Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub Smiley Happy

Esteemed Consultant

If SH is able to allow cust to access internet through the direct ont, can SH have another plan where cust can self install the fiber service since it is a plug and play installation ? I am sure SH can bring down the price of subscription more than what they are charging now as SH technician is not required if there i.s such a plan
Hub Master

Hey sfans

Optic fibre broandband is unlike the cable broadband. The cable point is activated when it is installed and we allow plug and play as the coaxial cable is not as fragile as the optic fibre.

In additonal, the technician will check the OpenNet Termination Point for power as well as ensure that it is transmitting signal prior to the installation.

========================================
Home is where the ♥ is
Hub Master

Dear Community members 

If you have any queries, feel free to PM Howard or me.

========================================
Home is where the ♥ is
Android™ Expert

Honestly, testing of power is simply plugging the multi-meter into the relevant positions. We can do it also. Even if we are not on direct ONT, all we have to do is to give starhub the relevant details of the RG for activation. Besides that, the technician is far less capable than what we expect of an 'expert'. Even if it is fragile, I'm sure most of us are able to do it.

and also,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear all

We hear you and will be responding officially on StarHub Community within this week. Stay tuned!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this what you mean by that? If it is, its just regurgitating officially.

The average HDB home diagonally across is about 20meter more or less.. just don't understand why SH have to partner with a brand that can't even provide a 20 meter wifi coverage.. 

New Commentator

I started my account with Starhub on cable broad band and switched to fiber about 6 months ago.  I've just installed my own apple router (I had Starhub configure the fiber access point accordingly) and they informed me that my phone would no longer work without the supplied Dlink router.  I just read on your blog that I might be able to use my old motorolla cable broad band router for telephone.  How do I do this? 

Senior Commentator

I have just switched and upgraded to Starhub Fibre 100Mbps recently. From several speed tests, it shows max 40Mbps when just beside the router in wireless mode using 3 laptops (2 belongs to your technican when he came over) and 1 iphone. After he set the password and security, my max wireless dropped to 30Mbps.

This is really bad, because the direct input is 100Mbps, and the wireless within 1m range provides less than 40% of the input. The router's wireless "bug" or incapability is a huge surprise to all new users for this new fibre optics you are giving to consumers. And i will definitely want to switch back to my 10Mb because i don't feel the difference of fibre optics having to pay 100% but get only 40% of it's worth when it comes to wireless.

There may be interferences, but a 60% drop in efficiency is really too much

It's not even a 1m test for me, I am holding the devices maybe 10-20cm from the router when testing

A big thumbs down for this router, and another one for you guys not finding out during testing before giving them to us 

Android™ Expert

Hi DanielHo,

Just FYI, doing a test at a near distance will only give more 'noise' and interference. The best distance to test is 1-2m away from the router. The reason it only gives 30mbps is due to good neighbourhood policy. It autodrops to 20MHz bandwidth when it detects other APs around. I was able to achieve 70mbps temporary when it was using 40MHz. That is why some tech savvy users opt to bridge to another router that does not commit to the policy (which is not very neighbourhood friendly) or a dual band router. A dual band router will allow have much lesser interference since there are more channels available and lesser APs.