Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[FAQ] Premium services (Third Party) charges on your StarHub bill

Highlighted
Social Media Technologist

[FAQ] Premium services (Third Party) charges on your StarHub bill

Hi Community members,

This post serves to re-affirm StarHub position on charges from third party premium rate service providers. If you feel that you have been wrongly charged by any of such companies, please call the telephone number reflected together with the charges on your bill. If StarHub's intervention is required, please do not hesitate to write to us via StarHubCares

Q:           What are these Premium Rate Service (PRS) providers about? Why did they charge me?

A:            PRS providers offer a range of premium services to consumers, includingbut not limited toringtones, games, quizzes, contests, auctions, chat lines, video clip downloads and 4D/Toto/Horse racing results, among others.Regardless of the service offered, all PRS providers are required to inform customers on all service charges prior to the commencement of subscription. Additionally, PRS services require the user’s acknowledgement prior to any charges. All PRS providers must abide to these two obligations defined in IDA’s Code of Practice for Provision of Premium Rate Services.

Q:           I have not used their services. How can StarHub help me?

A:           PRS providers are required to produce service activation records when requested. As such, we have included the Customer Service hotline numbers of these PRS providers under the respective charges in the bill so that our customers will know how to get in touch with the PRS provider.

Q:           The provider did not respond to me or did not provide me with a satisfactorily answer. What now?

A:            The PRS providers are obligated to remain contactable at their respective Customer Service hotline toproduce service activation records and provide clarification on charges. As your service provider, we will provide assistance to you if you were to face any difficulty reaching any PRS provider.

Q:           What is StarHub’s relationship with these providers?

A:           Telcos, such as StarHub, provide billing support for some PRS providers.

Q:           How can StarHub protect me from such charges moving forward?

A:            We would like to take this opportunity to remind all customers to be cautious when using chargeable third-party mobile services. We understand that some customers may have concerns about PRS, and this is why we offer PRS Barring, a free service that blocks all PRS subscriptions on their mobile lines. To activate PRS Barring, simply SMS <BARPRS> and send to 6757. For more information on PRS Barring, please visit: http://www.starhub.com/support/mobile/mobileservicestatistics/premiumrateservicesbarring.html

PRSBarring1.png PRSBarring2.png

Q:           What else is StarHub doing to protect the interest of customers like us?            

A:            We take a very serious view of customer feedback on PRS, and will certainly take the appropriate action if we find that any PRS provider has billed our customers without their consent or offer objectionable content. Recently, we have suspended billing services of some PRS providers even though they did not breach the Code of Practice for the provision of PRS. We will continue to monitor and proactively take similar actions as and when necessary.

Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub Smiley Happy
If my post answers your question, please click on the "Accept as Solution" button!

About Howard Toh

51 REPLIES
Senior Commentator

Re: [FAQ] Premium services (Third Party) charges on your StarHub bill

I was billed with additional charges $75 from B-mobile and later then realized these are the premium services. Every SMS they sent will be charges even though they claimed that they did receive 1 SMS from my hp. If there was a reply on 1 SMS, why was I charge 25 sms that I did not reply? Each SMS cost $3 and I don't even know what are these services about. I request for B-Mobile to check that I did not make use of their services at all and why should I pay for something that I did no use? The customer service was rude and reply me they do not care whether I make use of the services or not. As long as they received a SMS, they do the activation and every SMS sent will be charge. I called Starhub for help and Starhub reply me this is between B-mobile and me. When I told the B-mobile customer service and I will not pay something that I did not use, she replied me this is between you and Starhub. Is that the way to treat customer and I feel like being con. I'm really upset and feel was treated unfairly and hope Starhub can step in to help customer and not by saying this is not my business at all.
Senior Commentator

I called up M1 and Singtel to do the same enquiry. M1 reply me that they will help the customer to call the premium services company to waive the bill. Singtel reply me they will also help to call the premium company to waive but if they are not able to convince the company to waive, Singtel will bear 50% of the charges in order to satisfy the customer. That should be the way to treat customer. The only help I get from Starhub was, we will get the premium services company to call you.... Full stop.
Hub Master

Hi Yoke_mui, I have dropped you an PM on this.
========================================
Home is where the ♥ is
Valued Commentator

I have just ended my call with Starhub customer service with regards to my concern of the premium services charges amounting to $400++ (which i DID NOT use at all) as i came bck from overseas my line was cut off n as instructed by Starhub to make full payment first and they will assist to drop email to the Third Party Premium Services Company. The company did give me a RUDE call back **bleep** early morning just to say that i have to pay what i have used. And nw my line is cut off again due to i was advised by one of the Starhub customer service (i spoke to many of them)that they may hold on to my bill till i have resolve with the other party. The reason why i took up Starhub line due to enjoy low rates as im signing up under company privileges. But if this what i have to pay more compared to other service line i rather not sign up. I agreed with Yoke_mui above statement.. I ever signed with M1 abd Singtel B4 and i have no such issue. I do not understand y Starhub allow all this third party line. Im so frustated nw, and if this few days i do not have any reply from both side, i proceed with legal action and media expose!! And lastly thanks again for terminating my line today!
Hub Master

Hi Maiikaika

Please drop me a PM if you require any further assistance.
========================================
Home is where the ♥ is
Respected Commentator

Try to go for stomp...Im intending to go to stomp if Starhub still pushing this problem
Valued Commentator

Did Starhub resolve any of these problems caused by B Mobil? Starhub told me that they will be waiving off my fees in March and till now, they have yet to waive. My contract ended and is due to renew. Today I called and ask regarding the waiver of the fees and was told that they have to check with the billing department again on the waiver! They promised to waive and now when I called back, they needed to check again ?! And I cant renew or cancel my contract until I pay for the b mobil charges. Now I have wait for 3-5 working days for them to call back before i can do anything with my contract. Starhub is always breaking the customers' trust! Why should we pay when we didnt use it ? Shouldnt starhub take responsibility of it since they are the one who allow the third party service to have access to charge us ??

Valued Commentator

Great!!! More & more ppl have been cheated by Starhub again & again. My issue is still not resolve yet.. whoever from starhub promise to assist me into solving this matter is not doing anything. I do not know how many times...must I repeat this over again to different people from starhub..I have been very patient n been dragging months already. .pls go ahead to terminate my line totally n by all means send me a court letter if u want to collect payment.. as for u to know I have prepared my lawyer letter to starhub.
Alumni (Retired)

Hi Eunice28 and Maiikaika

Could you drop me a Private Message with your NRIC or leave your contact details at StarHubCares? We will assist you further on this matter.