cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting External Hard disk to samsung hubstation

Community Manager

Re: Connecting External Hard disk to samsung hubstation

Hi Mark

Thanks for your interest. The current supported hard disk is listed on http://bit.ly/2ml0aFk.

Rest assured we'll update the website if there are any updates.

- Amy
Senior Consultant

Hi pple, i would advise to buy the external HDD from Starhub.

Because even if u get an identical model, the differences in device driver & firmware may cause the compatiblity issue with the set top box.

Why save a few dollars to get promo from other retailer den go home regret & troubleshoot the driver & firmware. Time is $$ 

Honored Commentator

This model is the same as 2yrs+ back. No change, the one and only since 2014.

That's 2014/2015 model which cost 30% cheaper now yet it's the same price quoted by Starhub.

Since then, there's 2016 and 2017 model.

This badly need Starhub to roll up their sleeve. Really.

Grand Guru

Well i got mine Ext HDD WD My Passport Ultra 1TB from SLS retailer at Best Price #04-50 $89.00

As long as you get this one from reputed Retailer this should not be any problem.

There is a need to power off the IPTV before insert the new HDD into USB port.

Then power on the IPTV it will detect the new HDD and do the necessary setup for use.

Provided you have requested and activated the Recording features cost $4.21 (with 7% gst) monthly.

As like any other products, IPTV do have limit, as in 1TB recording of shows.

There is a possibly due to certain formats and other limitations.

Unless there is new &or latest update to firmware version, then there is possible to have other storage as in TB space for recording.

My IPTV Firmware Version:  OTV514B93_SHBNFX-BLD9.15d_160812_0_v2

Most probably version date is 2016 Aug 12 as stated before the v2

As for the IP Address & Gateway, it is not the same as the internet IP, as in my case.

i am not starhub staff &or related to.

Honored Commentator

Hi thanks for replying.

So, just to confirm, you did buy your My Passport Ultra 1GB from SLSq (ie outside of Starhub) and it worked on your Samsung box.

-> when was it purchased? Is it the latest 2017 (WDBTLG0010BGY-WESN), or 2016 or the Starhub prescribed 2014/2015 model (i believe is WDBBKD0010BBK-NESN) ?

But you did not get to attempt any other model/capacity (yet), right?

Grand Guru

Hi  mark

Your model listed is WRONG type.

Do note it must be WD Passport Ultra 1TB  WDBGPU0010BWT

where U could mean Ultra model,  end WT which is white color.

Bought from SLS at Best Price #04-50 for $89.00 end of Dec 2016.

As this shop is in operation for quite long since buying items from them, and there are 2 colors at that time.

WD1TB.JPG

This picture is bottom the HDD.

The label is also on the box sticker at the bottom.

Being power on for 24/7 attached to IPTV USB port, still no heat if on standby as just checked.

Do remember to power off the IPTV before insert the WD HDD to the USB port.

Upon power on and turn on using remote, it will detect and do the setup for it.

Prior to this, ensure you have sign-up & activated the Recording features first.

If not, then do it after the recording features is turn on.

Do note that this is not for computer use at all.

Should you attached it to the computer later, all the recorded shows will be overwrite by format.

Same as if you add some computer files into this HDD, upon IPTV format HDD all computer files will be deleted.

There is an option to remove or eject from IPTV by using the remote control, and insert in again, but i did not do any test on this.

I think you can use another same model HDD to continue to record more shows should one HDD is full.

But all recorded shows in the HDD must use this Samsung or similar model IPTV to watch.

Enjoy watching...

New Commentator

Just went to star hub shop in Bugis. Enquired about the hard disk. Apparently Starhub is selling WD My passport 1TB & 2TB at $99 and $149 respectively. However, the packaging is not the ultra, but the 2017 version.

Staff there told me better to buy at starhub then at the it shops because these harddisk has been configured.

My questions:

1) Why the link you gave indicated My Passport Ultra?

2) The link says to buy at major IT retailers but now starhub says to buy from them?

I spend time looking around SLS looking for WD My passpoet ultra yet now I am told to buy only at starhub. A bit sore over this. Please explain.

Alumni (Retired)

Hi Xavier, can you PM me your details so that I can forward your queries to our customer service team? I'll need your NRIC/FIN, StarHub account number, email and mobile. Thanks. - Sal

- Sal
Highlighted
Honored Commentator

Hi Xavier,

has Starhub clarify your queries?

Me too, wanting to know more about exactly what's required (the harddisk) for the recording.

Because the same (old!) harddisk has been there for few years and the newer models are actually cheaper and bigger in size.

thks ahead.