StarHub Community|The Community Run by You
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[ALERT] Phishing emails / calls about payment failures, excess data usage, service disconnections

Administrator

[ALERT] Phishing emails / calls about payment failures, excess data usage, service disconnections

Hi all,

It has come to our attention that an email is circulating around pertaining to payment failure and service pending disconnection. We want you to know that StarHub did not send that email.

A sample of the email is as follows:

█████████████████████████████ FAKE █████████████████████████████

Sent: Friday, September 14, 2018, 11:22 AM
To: me@starhub.com
Subject: New secure message from StarHub

Dear Customer,

The payment for your latest StarHub bill failed. It apears that some of the billing details associlated with your account have expired.

Your service is pending disconnection on: 14 September 2018

To avoid interuption of service, we strongly recommend that you update your billing details now.

Click here now to update your billing detials on our secure StarHub website.

Thank you for being a StarHub customer

© StarHub

-------------------------------------------------------
Email sent using Optus Webmail

█████████████████████████████ FAKE █████████████████████████████

There are many obvious signs to watch out for because phishing emails have the typical signs:

• Mismatched information
    • In this case, the email address shows "gsl_04@optusnet.com.au" while claiming to be "StarHub". Do also note that it is also possible to fake the email address. Look out for other waring signs even if it appears to come from a starhub.com email address.
  • Threats and urgency
    • In this case, the threat is to have your service disconnected and the urgency is that the date of disconnection is the same day as the email! This is not a typical behaviour of a reputable organisation. 
  • Request for confidential information
    • The email indirectly asks for your billing information (i.e. credit card information) by pointing to an external link. The link might be a web form to steal those information from you or could contain a malware/virus to infect your device. 

There are many more signs of a phishing emails so please stay vigilant and always check with the sender if the email is genuine. 

Thank you!

Howard

phishing-email.png

Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub Smiley Happy

If my post answers your question, please click on the "Accept as Solution" button!

About Howard Toh

1 REPLY
Highlighted
Administrator

Re: [ALERT] Phishing email about payment failure and service pending disconnection

To add:

Some customers have reported receiving automated calls warning them about

1. exceeding data usage

2. outstanding payment

3. payment failure / not received

4. Illegal transactions on mobile

Please hang up immediately and do not provide any personal information via such calls. You can check your outstanding balance and data usage information on My StarHub App.

Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub Smiley Happy

If my post answers your question, please click on the "Accept as Solution" button!

About Howard Toh