Did you mean: 

NATURAL INSECT REPELLENT WITH ESSENTIAL OILS

Highlighted
Senior Commentator

Natural Insect Repellent.jpeg

Natural Insect Repellent with Young Living Essential Oils

I have a very happy resident mosquito (or two) at home. Every night at about 11pm, I would start to feel the itch and realise that my resident mosquito has started to feast on me. To make me feel worse, my hubby and son would be doing their things nonchalantly about in the house while I was scratching furiously away. They seldom get bitten by the mosquito at home... at least not when I am around. 

WHY DO MOSQUITO BITE SOME PEOPLE MORE THAN OTHERS?   

1. EXERCISE

People who exercise tend to produce more carbon dioxide because of heavy breathing. A sign to mosquitoes that living animals are around. People who exercise sweat more and produce more lactic acid on their skin, another attraction to mosquitoes since female mosquitoes naturally look out for moisture to lay eggs. 

2. DARK CLOTHING

Clothing that are black, dark blue and dark green in colour tend to attract mosquitoes. 

3. PERFUME AND SCENTS

Floral fragrance is especially attractive to mosquitoes. Why...do they mistook me for a flower? 

4. DRINKING ALCOHOL

Hmmm... I drink Tiger Radler beer almost every other night because of the hot weather. I didn't know that is one of the contributing factors. 

5. BLOOD TYPE

Oh oh. People whose blood type is O+ are twice as likely to attract mosquitoes. No prizes for guessing my correct blood type. 

6. BODY TEMPERATURE (HEAT)

Mosquitoes can detect CO2 from afar, but at a nearer distance, they use their heat sensing organ to detect our skin temperature. Hence, those with higher body temperature tend to attract mosquitoes easily. 

Unfortunately, our genes dictate our blood type and our chemical makeup. Genetics also determine other factors such as our blood circulation, which in turn determines our body temperature. It also determines the amount of lactic acid or chemicals on our skin, as well as our metabolic rate. i.e.: the amount of CO2 our body releases as our body burn to release energy. 

While we cannot change our genetic makeup, we can do something to alter the scent of our body to keep mosquitoes at bay. Below is step-by-step guide on how to make your own insect repellent from essential oils. 

NATURAL INSECT REPELLENT  WITH YOUNG LIVING ESSENTIAL OILS

Insect repellent in a bottle.jpeg

Natural Insect Repellent with Young Living Essential Oils

This is a very nice smelling and effective insect repellent. Nothing like those chemical insect repellent found on retail shelves. To make your own natural insect repellent, you would require the following ingredients:

1. DISTILLED OR PURIFIED WATER

Purified.JPG

Natural Insect Repellent with Essential Oils

Remember, anything that contains water can potentially spoil, mould or grow bacteria. Hence, always use distilled, purified or boiled water, since water that comes out of the tap contains bacteria. 

2. WITCH HAZEL

Witch Hazel Vertical.jpg

Since this is a home made product that contains water, it is essential that we add some natural preservatives to extend the shelf life. I used Witch Hazel, though you can choose other natural preservatives such as:

- Vinegar 

(doesn't smell too good)

- Alcohol 

(rubbing alcohol which can be bought from pharmacies or spirits like vodka or brandy)

- Vitamin E

- Citric or Ascorbic acid

- Salt such as Himalayan Salt 

3. SWEET ALMOND OIL

sweet almond oil.jpg

Almond oil is a mild, hypoallergenic oil. It is naturally endowed with highly potent antioxidant vitamin E. Regular use of sweet almond oil helps to keep skin soft and supple. It is also useful for eczema and psoriasis and in the treatment of skin rashes. 

4. CITRONELLA OIL

citronella oil.jpg

Citronella oil has antibacterial and antiseptic properties. Its scent is known to repel mosquitoes. You will be familiar with this smell as it is sometimes used in spas in the form of candle during your tropical holidays.   

5. 100% PURE THERAPEUTIC ESSENTIAL OIL

Young Living Pure Essential Oils.JPG

I use Young Living's following oil in my concoction of natural insect repellent: 

- Lemongrass

- Lavender

- Tangerine

- Peppermint

- Geranium

The benefits of these oils are bountiful. I only use 100% pure therapeutic grade essential oil as I am using it on my own skin, and I only want the best and safest of course!

6. DARK GLASS SPRAY BOTTLE (100ml)

Dark Glass Bottle Vertical.jpg

To avoid deterioration and protect the aromatic and therapeutic qualities of the essential oils, store them in amber or cobalt blue bottles to prevent them from damaging sunlight. 

NATURAL INSECT REPELLENT  WITH YOUNG LIVING ESSENTIAL OILS   Recipe:

Distilled/Purified water: 50ml

Witch Hazel:                 20ml

Sweet Almond Oil:        10ml

Young Living Essential Oil:

• Citronella Oil:           18 drops
  • Lemongrass Oil:       18 drops
  • Lavender Oil:           15 drops
  • Geranium Oil:          10 drops
  • Tangerine Oil:           5 drops
  • Peppermint Oil:         4 drops

Total essential oil:        70 drops

You can differ the concoction according to your preferences. Natural insect repellent has a shelf life of 3-6 months. I keep it refrigerated to extend its shelf life. Can essential oil be refrigerated? The answer is yes. Low temperatures may not negatively affect your essential oils, though some may thicken or congeal. Just make sure to shake them before spraying since essential oils don't mix well with water. 

IMG_7368.JPG

There! I transfer it to a smaller bottle when I travel. Spray on cold natural insect repellent in hot weathers like Singapore for a refreshing (not chemical) feeling and to keep insects at bay. 

File_000.jpeg

Additional information on where some of the items are bought: 

Sweet Almond Oil - Mustafa Centre

Witch Hazel -           Mustafa Centre

Citronella Oil -         Mustafa Centre

Glass bottles -         

Tong Huat Trading Glass Bottles                                              

51, Chin Swee Road, #02-107                                                 

Singapore 160051   

Tel: 62708437

Young Living Essential Oils

Young Living Singapore

Caution:

• Do not use on pregnant ladies
  • Use with caution on young children
  • Only Lavender oil can be applied neat, to the skin. The rest requires dilution with organic carrier oils such as Olive, Sweet Almond and Vegetable oil. 

Related posts:

Oregano Oil for Eczema
Oregano leaves.jpg

DIY Facial Moisturizer with Young Living Lavender and Coconut Oil 

Lavender moisturizer.jpg

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Linda Lim is an Executive TV Promo Producer with a local telco company. The purpose of this site is to share her motherhood experiences with autism, interest with essential oils, and her passion with all things TV. 

For more information on other topics, click the following sites: 

HAPPY LIVING:

iloveworkingmom.com

HEALTHY COOKING:

http://foodnmenu.blogspot.sg/

HAPPY TRAVELLING:

http://aroundthelonelyplanet.blogspot.sg/

Otherwise, you can follow her at:

https://plus.google.com/+LindaLim/posts

to get periodic updates on all of the above topics. 

~LIVE HEALTHY, LIVE HAPPY~

1 REPLY 1
Grand Guru

Re: NATURAL INSECT REPELLENT WITH ESSENTIAL OILS

Thanks for a good understand on insect from your viewpoint.

My own viewpoint and experience. For Mosquito.

Combination;

1. Exercise.  5.  Blood type.   Body Temperature (Heat).

Firstly, we do generate heat within our bodies, so is animals & any living things. No exceptional.

As for Blood type, i ruled this out.

Exercise do not and will not be the reason of mosquito avoiding.

Mosquito are seen in warm climate.

This is where NEA will do a immediate lookup for mosquito after raining.

Many many years ago, my body is quite cold, especially in aircond places.

That was the time that i found out that i did not had any mosquito attacking me.

But those around me did had mosquito attacking them.

But after someone told me how to keep my body warm.

When my body return to warm body, now mosquito like me.

Lately due to our climate, i was attacked at night, and in the morning, there are many mosquito bites.

Hence, this effectively that i ruled out Blood type. 

In conclusion on this, mosquito prefer warm body so that they could take blood from us.

Beware of white mosquito as they are the one who killed people.

2.  Dark clothing.

I would not really want to say as "Dark" clothing, it is Dark Places &or Location, where mosquito like to bred.

That may be one reason why they are attracted to dark clothing, taking it as dark places/location.

And not forgetting that dark places are usually low/ground level, (such as under the desk, etc.) is darker.

3.  Perfume and Scents.

I had just recently discovered on this.

Knowing my room do have (many) mosquito, i use the mosquito spray.

After an hour, the repellents smell is quite strong and had not go away, i spray using perfume.

I tend to apply a lot (kiasu) and have to wait a couple of hours away from the room.

In order to circulate, i switch ON the aircond, as aircond is good for circulation of air, and removing it.

These few nights, i have not seen a single mosquito in my room.

In conclusion, i would agree on this.

Essential Oils.

There are things you need to take note while using essential oils (any).

There is a need to check and read on what the oils contents.

If using essential oils to spray/circulate the place, it is nec to understand on the side effect.

People do have some form of getting side effect for certain oils.

And some oils may not be suitable to anybody.

This need to be observe as there may have, in long term, cause other health issue.

For using essentials oils on the skin, this need to be carefully consider.

There are always have sweat (with or without exercise) on our skin.

As oils is lighter than water and it need to understand on whether any side effect on the skin layer.

Do note that when you apply oils on the skin, this oils may seep into our bodies thru the skin, without knowing.

This may be reason why mosquito cannot do anything as the blood is block by the oils.

Note: This logic is based on "applying cream" on the area of the skin where there is symptom of, say, itching. The pharmacy staff did explained on how much to use for applying on affected area. Also certain creams are not for sale, unless approved by doctors, in only short term period only. As this may cause other problems.

Hence, applying on the skin should be aware of any side effect and on long term usage.

Final Note:

There are always advantage in using oils, but how about the dis-advantages which may be overlook.

Meaning that using others ways to avoid mosquito (insects) may be better, than oils.