Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iOS 9.0/9.1 APN Settings

SOLVED
Esteemed Commentator

iOS 9.0/9.1 APN Settings

Hello!

Not sure if anyone here might be able to help, its a tad technical in nature. I have tried calling StarHub Technical Support with no success. I have either been told this is beyond what they can help with (technically) or that from iOS 9.0 onwards, this is no longer possible (with no further explanation). This query is meant for StarHub Go on Mobile.

After scouring the StarHub FAQ and Support pages (most of which are really vague or just blantly left out, as always), I finally found a section that talks about data usage on mobile for StarHub Go for StarHub subscribers. Paragraph 5 of the support page states: ..."For StarHub postpaid mobile customers: You need to set your mobile data access point (APN) to 'shwap' in order to not get any data charges while accessing StarHub Go on StarHub Mobile. If you are accessing via 'shinternet', please ensure that you switch to 'shwap'." (http://www.starhub.com/personal/support/tv/services/starhub-go/how-to-set-up-and-access-starhub-go.h...

My issue now is with the inability to manually configure or even check APN settings within iOS 9.0. The Technical Support staff I spoke to also cannot confirm if the fixed APN settings are set to "shwap" or "shinternet". They also couldn't confirm if what it states on the website is correct, that is, users will not be charged or that streaming from StarHub Go does not count towards a subscribers monthly data usage.

Not to sound like I'm nitpicking too but the Technical Support for customers must always be provided with accurate information by the relevant project team on its offerings, detailed services and how it works (technically or otherwise). If not, customers will always be left scratching their heads and even more confused than before they called. I completely understand that these poor people who answer calls and get scolded by customers for something that is not really even their fault because they were not provided with the critical information to inform the customer. The default line "We're sorry but we are unable to help" is overused and archaic. Would you say these things to potential customers who are trying to sign-up? Telling them "we're sorry but we are unable to help" will probably send them running to the competing telco across the mall and never looking back. In an age where you no longer have monopoly of the industry, your customer service model needs to evolve with your abundance of product packages to stand outy further. Anyway, sorry for ranting! I get piqued by these recurring issues I face with frontline technical support Smiley Wink

If any Customer Support or kind fellow subscriber here is able to confirm or shed more light on this, it would be greatly appreciated! Smiley Happy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Alumni (Retired)
Solution

Re: iOS 9.0/9.1 APN Settings

HI @GuardianAngel,

We have checked internally and please note that all StarHub Voice Plan APN are defaulted to 'shwap' , hence you can enjoy DATA Free connectivity to StarHub Go Services.

Thank you

Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub.

If my post answers your question, please click on the "Accept as Solution" button!

6 REPLIES 6
Esteemed Commentator

No one has any insights on this?
Alumni (Retired)
Solution

HI @GuardianAngel,

We have checked internally and please note that all StarHub Voice Plan APN are defaulted to 'shwap' , hence you can enjoy DATA Free connectivity to StarHub Go Services.

Thank you

Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub.

If my post answers your question, please click on the "Accept as Solution" button!

New Commentator

Thanks for the information. Now I will be in touch with Starhub on the Go... Smiley Happy
Valued Advisor

HI ,

I just want to confirm that eventhough APN is not shown in my iphone6+, it's defaulted to "shwap" and as long as I'm a Starhub Voice Plan subscriber, Starhub Go Services streaming is not chargeable.

How about those non-iphone? Do we need to set APN to "shwap"?

Thanks,

Roel

Alumni (Retired)

Hi @Roel

Yes by default all StarHub PostPaid Mobile Customers DATA APN is set to shwap.

Theoretically, you don't need to change your APN on your android device, however you can cross check to ensure the APN is set to shwap.

Thank you

Valued Advisor

Hi Santosh,

Thank you and cheers !