StarHub Community|The Community Run by You
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Five Things To Remember Before Giving Your Child a Smart Phone

Hub Master

Five Things To Remember Before Giving Your Child a Smart Phone

Remember when we were young and all we wanted was the latest toy? Today, for children, the “latest”, and probably most desired, “toy” would be a a smart phone.

Getting your child a smart phone has its benefits. A smart phone makes it easier to track your kid’s whereabouts; and at the same time, it introduces them to a technology they’ll need to learn eventually anyway.

If you’re thinking of getting your child a smart phone, just remember that most children may have less self-discipline than adults. It’s important that you keep track of their phone usage, so that you won’t get overcharged on things like overused data.

1. Go with a second line over a prepaid phone

The best way that you can manage your child’s data and cell phone usage is to apply for a second line. Some parents opt for prepaid lines as the initial outlay is cheaper, but it is actually more prudent to pay for a second line as they offer more parental controls and comes with bundled packages.

When you go with a second line, your child’s phone will be linked to your Starhub account. You can then monitor your child’s data usage and warn them if they’re about to hit the limits.

It’s even easier now to track your child’s data usage using the My Starhub App on your mobile phone and your Hub iD account . Simply:

1. Sign up for a Hub iD account if you don’t already have one.
  2. Log in with your Hub iD on the My StarHub App
  3. Tap My Account...
  4. From the list, select Data Usage...
  5. Once inside, you can see the individual device’s data usage!

1. Establish the ground rules

Your kid needs to know that a smart phone, while a necessity these days, is still a significant investment. Not only are you entrusting them with an expensive device, but you’re also trusting them to use the smart phone wisely.

Walk through with your kids the basics of  operating the phone and make sure they know how to maintain it and keep it secure.

1. Don’t get the most expensive model

Don’t get the most expensive model

Nothing says “consumerism gone wild” like the sight of a 9-year-old carrying a brand new iPhone. What’s more your child may not know how to fully utilise all of the phone’s functions – just imagine what would happen if you give the keys of a Ferrari to a student driver!

So, consider handing down your old phone to them or just getting a scaled-down model to make sure that your kid is able to handle the phone properly.

Remember, the phone for a child should always be a means of communication first, before being a status symbol.

1. Have them use Wi-Fi whenever possible for video, games and apps

Have them use Wi-Fi whenever possible for video, games and apps

Sometimes your child simply doesn’t know how much data usage a video may occur. That’s why it’s good to educate them on what does and does not take up too much data and guide them on how to connect to a Wi-Fi network whenever possible.

1. Remember to trust your child

In the end, buying a phone for your child shows an element of trust from you. While it’s good to always keep track of their data (for fiscal reasons), your child still needs to learn about responsible smart phone behaviour. Avoid restricting them too much on what apps they can/cannot download; instead share them with apps you would like them to try.

The My StarHub app is the perfect in-cell assistant for our users. But even though it is primarily a self-service app, help is always at hand if you need it at the StarHub Community tab.

Download it now via your smartphone to manage your services the easy way!

App Store.pnggoogle-play.png

========================================
Home is where the ♥ is
4 Comments
Senior Advocate

idk man...i wouldnt trust a kid with anything that gives them access to the internet...there should be law for restricting access of internet to anyone below the age of 13, but that's just me

Hub Master

@RogerBlack That might be quite hard. Kids need internet access for their school projects.

Veteran

When i was 9, all I wanted was a Tamagotchi.

@KaiBoon How would you restrict your kids from accessing the internet?

Hub Master

I believe the best way is thru educating them well.