GreenR Community|The Community Run by You
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP for broadband service

Hi StarHub

Please consider providing static IP to your broadband customers.

It will be helpful as we won't have to use dynDNS service.

4 Comments
Respected Commentator

I understand that IPv4 public addresses are very scarce today, espeically in AsiaPac, where normal distribution of IPv4 public addresses was ended on 15 April, 2011 (over three years ago). RIPE (EU/ME) ran out Sept 14, 2012. LACNIC (Latin America) has recently run out and ARIN (North America) should run out soon. IPv4 is at END OF LIFE. It was severely brain damaged with NAT44 in the mid 1990s. It is being raped and murdered now with CGN (Carrier Grade NAT). If you are given only a single private address (from 10/8, 172.16/12, 192.168/16 or 100.64/16) you are a SECOND CLASS NETIZEN. If you deploy nodes behind this fake address with ANOTHER NAT gateway, those nodes are THIRD CLASS NETIZENS. With IPv6, ALL nodes are FIRST CLASS NETIZENS with global public addresses.

The original plan was for all ISPs to FULLY deploy IPv6 well before end of normal allocation of IPv6 addresses. Obviously this was not done. ISPs are now in full panic mode, and do not have enough left for normal operation. No more are available from APNIC, except blocks of 1024 addresses SPECIFICALLY for IPv6 transition purposes. The final block must last for up to 10 years. A few IPv4 public addresses are available on the black market at about $12 to $14 per address today. These will soon be gone.

The best time to begin deploying IPv6 is about 6 years ago. Gee, that's a problem. One of the main problems is that the best temporary workaround (obtaining IPv6 via 6in4 tunnel) requires one public IPv4 address at each customer. With many service plans these are no longer available (THIS is why deployment was supposed to be DONE before they ran out). The alternatives that work behind NAT, like 6RD, don't work as well as 6in4.

I STRONGLY recommend that all SG ISPs get IPv6 deployed ASAP as their absolutely top crash priority, and end users convert their networks to IPv6 native, with translation to and from legacy IPv4 done at their edge of their networks. Some wireless telcos are now deploying ONLY IPv6, using XLAT464 to allow legacy IPv4-only apps to still work. This is available in Android as of KitKat. If your favorite app is available only with obsolete legacy IPv4, tell the vendor to get with the times and support IPv6 native. For now they probably have to continue supporting legacy IPV4.

The days of asymmetric service (e.g. 4 Mbit down, .5 Mbit up) are over now. With IPv6, customers need symmetric service levels. As much traffic will be going up as down (if not more).

ISPs should allocate a MINIMUM of a /60 block of IPv6 addresses to residential customers (enough for 16 subnets), and ideally a /56 (64 subnets) or even /52 (1024 subnets). There are enough IPv6 public addresses for EVERY HUMAN ALIVE to get over 5,000 /48 blocks (65,536 subnets). DON'T BE STINGY. There are plenty of public addresses this time. Forget the bad old days. They should automatically allocate a /48 to business customers, unless more is requested and justified. These are the IETF recommendations, not just mine.

Valued Contributor

Dear  Lehughes3,

Excellent thoughts and points.  Thanks for all details. I agree. IPv6 way to go. 

Thanks. 

With  regards,

Chandra

New Commentator

Yes, I support this request to provide static IP to residential customers of broadband.

MyRepublic is already providing this optional service for $50 one time charge.

New Commentator

Some gamers, coder, engineer, students, and system admin must have a static IP address.

At the moment, M1 provides static IP address.

Static IP is a must have for us.