Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two WIFI networks

SOLVED
Esteemed Commentator

Two WIFI networks

Hi, 

I need to maintain two separate WIFI networks on two separate routers on my Starhub Fibre Home Broadband (a main network with a guest network will not suffice), so am just wondering if this network setup will work without encountering Double NAT problems :

TP ----- ONT Port 1----- Ethernet Switch (port 1)--- Dlink router issued by Starhub (WIFI name : Home 1) 

TP ----- ONT Port 1---- Ethernet Switch (port 2) ---- Google WIFI Mesh Networking (WIFI name : Home 2)

There is another way but i am worried about the Double NAT that might occur for my network printer and IP cameras : 

TP ---- ONT Port 1 ---- Dlink router (from Starhub) (WIFI 1 ) ----- Google WIFI MESH Network (WIFI 2) 

But am i right in thinking this might cause Double NAT problems and getting the ethernet switch would eliminate any Double NAT problems ?

Also if anyone has an Ethernet Switch to recommend, do let me know.

Would appreciate any advice. 

Thanks !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grand Guru
Solution

Re: Two WIFI networks

Hi,

According to your amended 1st post, the 1st 2 sets of diagrams are not possible.

Meaning that the ONT to Router has to come before any switches.

ONT has no routing features and require Router to manage routing.

The 3rd diagram is correct in order to have internet access for Google Wifi.

As for NAT issue it would be based on how you do the connection.

Please refer to my posts on another thread about connection via cables.

> Setting up two routers

For Google Wifi in the set up as shown in 3rd diagram and if there is no wired backhaul then you may have to ensure the correct settings as in AP mode.

Refer to > Google Wifi Help section - for more details.

Regards.

6 REPLIES 6
Grand Guru

Hi,

Do note that Starhub ONT Port-1 is for Internet/Router access while Port-2 is solely for Fibre TV IPTV.

And Ports 3 & 4 are null & void as not in use.

Routers do have a separate Wifi SSID sets for guest network.

Please do check the router settings for Guest network which may be in the Advanced section.

For Dlink routers go to the Settings - Advanced - Guest Zone to enable & set the SSID name.

i am not starhub staff.

Esteemed Commentator

Thanks for the reply Eric, i am aware of ONT only 2 ports for Internet and TV use. Just edited my original post to reflect it.

Sigh, no, i cannot configure a Main and Guest network. I have to maintain 2 separate routers and 2 separate WIFI networks in the same home.

Any idea if the ethernet switch would ensure no Double NAT problems ?

Thanks.
Grand Guru
Solution

Hi,

According to your amended 1st post, the 1st 2 sets of diagrams are not possible.

Meaning that the ONT to Router has to come before any switches.

ONT has no routing features and require Router to manage routing.

The 3rd diagram is correct in order to have internet access for Google Wifi.

As for NAT issue it would be based on how you do the connection.

Please refer to my posts on another thread about connection via cables.

> Setting up two routers

For Google Wifi in the set up as shown in 3rd diagram and if there is no wired backhaul then you may have to ensure the correct settings as in AP mode.

Refer to > Google Wifi Help section - for more details.

Regards.

Esteemed Commentator

Thanks Eric, i got it.

The ethernet switch will not help. Its got to run TP ---- ONT ---- Router then Switch which means i have to setup using the third diagram and test for any Double NAT problems.

I will take a look at the links you provided for help.

Thanks for saving me from wasting money on an ethernet switch.

Maybe i will get lucky and not face any Double NAT problems on the printer and IP camera.
Grand Guru

Switch is nothing more as to act and provide extra lan ports to router.

Example of a smart switch > 8-Port Gigabit Easy Desktop Switch

Router - Switch - Google Wifi and in this set up the switch is to increase the number of lan ports as extension to other devices, should you want to add those devices before Google Wifi.

Hence the switch can be either before or after/from Google Wifi.

As long as the Google Wifi settings is set correct to AP mode it should not have any double NAT.

Regards.

Community Manager

Hi ycancan

As per what Eric has mentioned, it can be set up in that manner. 

Should you encounter any issues during the set up, please drop me a PM with your registered name, Hub ID/email address and service address (including postal code and unit numbers) by clicking the words bracketed by the arrows here > via Private Message < for me to arrange for assistance. 

Thank you.

To Eric - Thank you very much.

- Jackson