StarHub Community|The Community Run by You
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starhub IPTV and LAN point

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Starhub IPTV and LAN point

i guess, per Winston has said, need some manual config and thats way too technical for me.

so in a way, i have to suck it up? sigh.

i went to buy another router thinking that everything can be linked via ONT port 1. haha. wasted my money zz.

thanks Winston for your replies. appreciate it.

edit: just to let u see to have an idea what im referring to, pls see attached image.CF wifi layout.jpg

Honored Contributor

Your purposed setup won't work cos one router can only accept one source input. You can't have 2 ports from ONT connect to the same router as most consumer router only have 1 x WAN port

There are dual WAN router for business user but even so the 2nd WAN port of such router are more for failover (one connection down, the other straight away pickup the connection)

Esteemed Contributor

i see. thank you Winston.

i've asked a few friends of mine that are working in the IT field, all told me the same thing as u, on the WAN port.

issue is still because of ONT port 2 is being used for fibre TV.

oh well, nothing can be done.

appreciate all your responses, thanks again.

Honored Contributor

CF Ting, if you really want IPTV, not say totally cannot work for you

You can use Powerline Ethernet adapters

I believe near your ONT will have power outlet/socket (your ONT need to connect to power outlet for power right?)

Just buy 1 pair of powerline ethernet adapters. One connect to the power outlet near your ONT, the other connect to the power outlet near your TV console

ONT port 2 -> powerline adapter

IPTV set-top box -> powerline adapter near TV console

Your IPTV set-top box near TV console can connect to this powerline ethernet using cat 6 cable and you will have IPTV and your Fibre broadband router all in your TV console (Fibre broadband router still connect to the Data outlet near your TV console

This powerline ethernet adapters should meet your IPTV need

http://www.tp-link.sg/products/details/cat-18_TL-PA7020P-KIT.html

Senior Commentator

Hi Winston,

Wow you sound like you have quite extensive knowledge in networking terms.  Anyway a quick question based on this diagram - https://www.starhub.com/personal/tv/set-top-boxes/fibre-tv.html, about the IP switch connecting to a Data Point in the bedroom - i supposed they mean a RJ45 faceplate in the bedroom.  So if this is not there (mine HDB is older type, not wired with RJ45 for whole house), that means have to lay a LAN cable from the IP Switch to the bedroom?  Would it be possible to use those Home Plug type to extend network from this IP Switch to the bedroom Fibre TV Set top box?  Have done my reno about 7 years back and the designer is so creative to hide all the cable and trunking, i dont want to spoil the look.

Honored Contributor

Yes you can use Powerline Ethernet (aka Home Plug) or lay LAN cable all the way to your bedroom

Everyone's Tags (1)
Community Relationship Manager

Hi CF Ting, please send me a PM with your StarHub Account number, registered name, NRIC/FIN, email and contact number so that we can get in touch. Thank you -Jolene

Respected Commentator

Hello Winston, 

I'd like to check if I could use ONT port 1 for Fibre broadband router instead of connecting to the powerline adapter near TV console.  Something like 

ONT port 1 -> Fibre broadband router

ONT port 2 -> powerline adapter near ONT

IPTV set-top box -> powerline adapter near TV console

Thank you for your advice. 

Grand Guru

Hi  Baryarnathi,

Meanwhile you can write to forum staff to assist you.

Do PM (private message) forum staff Amy_Law to assist you on this matter.

Or to the forum staff that reply here, by clicking on the staff's post: Send a private message.

Click on this link; >> Send private message to Amy_Law  or  Jolene_L

Or on this link to; >> Send private message to Starhub CS  

Do note that currently, forum staff mailbox may be having some problem, so send to the 2nd link to Starhub CS.

Please submit and provide with the following information;

Message Subject:

Registered subscriber full Name, NRIC/FIN number, account (if any) and your contact & email.

Description:  Do include any other queries here &or this thread for reference.

How to send a PM (Private Message) on StarHub Community?

Regards,

Eric.

Valued Commentator

Hi guys,

I have a question, can the powerline be used for 2 or more set-top boxes for FibreTV?

Does it act like a switch?

Also, i noticed Singtel is already using AirTies 4920 to bridge RJ45 cables using Mesh WiFi. This is an actual working setup which I have seen.

Will this also work for Starhub's FibreTV? In general I am considering option 1 or option 2 without using a switch. Thanks in advance!

Map.jpg