cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detailed Google Wifi review and walkthrough

Administrator

Detailed Google Wifi review and walkthrough

Hello all,

As you all know, the Google Wifi is currently exclusively available through StarHub in Singapore. Recently, we stumbled upon this great review and walkthrough by Richard (@JustAnAverageUser) so we thought we should share it with our users. 

Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub Smiley Happy

9 REPLIES 9
Senior Commentator

Re: Detailed Google Wifi review and walkthrough

Hi Howard, thanks for the sharng. I am a StarHub fiber subscriber. My friend is passing me a unit (1 out of 3 he is receiving from StarHub) of Google Wifi for me to try it out. It is connecting but downtime is more than uptime. I have checked everything (modem, lan port, fiber cable) are fine. I suspect something to do with the networking setting. Can you walk me through if you have any idea ?

Administrator

Hello @iancyl

While I'm not from Customer Service, let me provide some personal suggestions to you

- Is this a fresh out of the box unit? If your friend had configured it before, you'll need to reset it before trying to set it up for your own netowkr

- a single unit will not have the benefits of a 3-unit mesh network setup so do try with your laptop near your single unit

- does the Wi-Fi connection drop when you're connecting through your mobile devices too? It'll be helpful to test with multiple devices to confirm that the disconnection issue is due to the router

- if all else fails, try to do a reset and set it up again

It'll be great if you can share more details if you require further assistance from us Cheers~

Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub Smiley Happy

Senior Commentator

Thanks for response Howard. Yes, I tried 5 devices next to my routers - 2
MacBook, 2 iPhone and 1 iPad. Yes, I did 5x factory reset in Google WiFi
App and 4x factory rest through hardware.
Grand Guru

Hi,

Suggest visit Google Wifi help topics to understand better.

> Google Wifi Help Topics

It is detailed according to issues related to Google Wifi.

I am not starhub staff.

Administrator

Hi @iancyl

Thanks for your reply. 

Something worth checking - did you set the SSID and password to exactly the same one you used for your old router? If yes, please go to each device and do a "Forget network" and associate with the Google Wi-fi network again. (Note that this is not "disconnecting and reconnecting" but forgetting the Wi-Fi network from your device, reconnecting and entering your Wi-Fi password again)

This happened to me some time back and I actually refused to consider this as a potential issue until I exhausted all options I can think of. After going through that, the connection has never dropped since. 

Hopefully this helps - if not we'll get our Customer Service to step in to troubleshoot further.

Cheers

Howard 

Senior Commentator

It is weird but it works Howard ! Thanks. 

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi iancyl, glad to hear that! – Josephine

Senior Commentator

Snapseed is a pretty good application from Google Inc for Image editing better than other mobile apps available on play-store and the Internet. And you can download Snapseed For PC.

Senior Commentator

Google and its products are pretty good.