cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eSIM Support for iPhone XS & Apple Watch Series 3 / 4

Esteemed Commentator

Re: eSIM Support for iPhone XS & Apple Watch Series 3 / 4

@Rob M wrote:

Ferrocene, what you said is utter nonsense. Apple's pushing eSIM exactly so that it is easier to switch between carriers. It is the telcos that fear such a move.

That is what you believe in. Typical iSheeps, what apple say, you follow.

Administrator

Ok please, no name calling. 

It is true that we owe you guys an answer but it is also true that I have no answers for you guys right now unfortunately. At the end of the day, it does indeed look pretty silly on me that I am opening myself to flaming when customer support is not part of my core job scope. I don't think I regretted getting myself into this because since 2012, this community forum has been often used by customers as a platform to be heard and I don't think it's a bad thing. 

I can confirm that whatever is written here are read by the folks involved because I have escalated this to them. I am not censoring any feedback posted here (unless there is spamming or advertising of competitive services which is against our community guidelines) and I only ask that there is no more personal attack and/or name calling in this thread. 

Thank you.

Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub Smiley Happy

Respected Commentator

I can truely feel the frustration from Jay as I am also one who follow the development of this standard reply from Starhub since series 3 LTE. It has been 2 weeks from the last update. Is there any update on this e-Sim matter? Or customer just have to wait for Apple Watch series 5 again to get another round of standard response? 

Valued Contributor

Ok... I have been keeping quite quiet for a while now and I thought to just make a quick remark.

1) I agree that we shouldn't be mean to the SH folks. I also agree that it isn't nice to call them names or whatever. At the end of the day, they are just doing their job. It's the higher-ups who are the ones making the call/decisions as to provide the service(s) or not.

2) To SH mgmt, to make it clear, I think all we want to know is if we will indeed be having eSIMs for Apple Watch. PERIOD. If the answer is no, just come clean to say no, and not drag your feet or kick the can down the road and say discussing plans with Apple. Apple says is in your hands, u say it is in their hands. Whoever it is and I can respect that it is a business decision that SH got to make and are answerable to shareholders, etc.. So just come out and tell us if it will or not support Apple Watch. Why come out make a statement to the media on 13 Feb 2018 to say that "StarHub looking to also offer cellular-enabled Apple Watch" but yet nothing thereafter. You might as well as your PR department to make better statements like what M1 did.. to say "monitoring the developments" in the space? - quoted https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/technology/starhub-looking-to-also-offer-cellular-enabled-apple...

3) What makes it really interesting to me is that your eSIM is supported on Samsung device, but can't support Apple Watch. It is also really interesting to me that I suspect (I really only suspect because only you have the ability to get market statistics), Apple Watch demand is way higher than that of an Android smartwatch. Perhaps the ROI isn't that poor/bad??? Maybe Samsung had helped to pay part of your start-up costs to enable eSIMs? hm...

4) With more and more telcos vying for a piece of Singapore's Telco pie, I think it would be great to know what we can or cannot do with our existing telco, so that we can make informed decisions. There is no difference for me then to switch over to say, Republic Mobile, or Circles Mobile since they are tapping onto existing telco networks at a more attractive rate, PLUS they ALSO don't offer eSIMS. 

With that said, I respectfully hope that StarHub comes out soon (hopefully your soon isn't 6 months) to tell us concrete plans about eSIMs for both Apple Watch and Apple iPhones.

PS: When iPhones now starting to offer eSIM/dual sims, I AM SURE.. give it 9-12 mths and u will start to see Android competitors starting to do the same...

Have a good weekend all~~ 

Administrator

Hi @Kentwk

Thanks for your message. Sorry I took so long to reply as I was on course (and I told my colleagues to let me respond when I'm back). 

The main reason why we are unable to say beyond "We are currently in talks with Apple" is mainly because we are not the only party involved. Due to commercial and legal reasons, any new statement should only be issued with the agreement of all parties and of course, if there's anything new to update.

So in conclusion, because we are really still in talks with Apple, it is not a "no" at this point in time. Keeping fingers crossed! 

Thanks for your patience! 

Some of my posts are unofficial and may contain personal opinions which may not represent the positions and opinions of StarHub Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Trusted Commentator

Any update? I’m thinking I may need to splurge and buy a HK iPhone to have a physical dual sim. Shame on Apple and starhub. 

Edit: ok I think the best way to view this is the bird in the hand worth two in the bush or whatever 

essentially Starhub will not have esim available now or the near future. If there was a timeline they would provide to hold customers. 

Now in my household it was my idea to switch our telco to starhub because I like the idea of consolidation and one bill for the tv internet and mobile. 

In December my wife’s mobile contract is over. She’s used to the dual sim life with her s8. It’s needed for her frequent business travels. She wants to switch back to the iPhone so she will be forced to use a telco that supports esim at the time. 

Everyone's Tags (3)
Community Manager

Hi Starhubusersg

Thank you for your interest. Do keep a lookout on our website for possible updates. Smiley Happy

- Jackson
Valued Commentator

First let me just lament that my experience with Apple Watch eSIM is not the greatest. Watch does get problems and needs to be changed and along with it eSIM.

Very often SingTel who is the only one with it is ill equipped to handle this and I see why. It has to stop the subscription and then re-register again. This usually takes a day change to take effect.

I hope the way it is handled now can be simplified otherwise this eSIM will make it worse than what we asked for now.

I therefore want to warn that another unhappy issue will surface as soon as eSIM is made available.

I'll rather they tackled all points and made it seamlessly available later.

I back this call for eSIM but want to ask for a better eSIM when implemented.

Administrator

Hi @stardusts

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm actually quite surprised that eSIM isn't that fuss-free as I had imagined it to be. 

I have been in constant talks with the folks respondisble for this and I assure you that they are working hard on this. 

Personally, I can't wait as well! I'll hold off the Apple Watch 4 upgrade until eSIM is available. 

Valued Contributor

I'd say that if you have the ability to travel for work a lot and/or plan to travel for leisure, and perhaps Hong Kong or Macau or even China is a possible destination, then I think you are in luck!

In terms of hardware, I think the best possible plan is to have an iPhone XS/XS Max with the physical dual sim trays, which, unfortunately, isn't available outside of China (excluding Taiwan I think?).

I am super excited to know that iPhones finally have dual sim, but not too happy when they announced eSIM integration, knowing it's going to be an uphill battle for implementation worldwide.

Perhaps, telcos around the world will band together and say no to eSIMs this year, forcing Apple to make next year's iPhones with physical dual sim trays as a standard for all mobiles worldwide? I can only dream...